Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get rid of the play offs!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
These thread topics are ****ing embarassing.

The Playoffs are great, and gives the top half of the table something to fight over rather than the insignificance of league placement.

Yes it's immensely frustrating for us under the circumstances, to lose out on automatic by a 2 goal margin on 89 points is only something BHA could dream up.. but that's no reason to knock the system which works nicely.

Spread the word......it's the Brighton way....Wembley to Wembley via Hereford.....a book will be written about it one day.....destiny is at work here.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Thank God we're not up in Scotland.

Hibernian beat Raith Rovers 2-1 on aggregate yesterday so they now face Falkirk over two legs. If they manage to win that then it's another double-header with Kilmarnock (the second bottom team in the Premier). In between they've got to fit in the Scottish Cup final. Whoever thought up that idea is completely bonkers.

The English version is only three matches and always provides good or bad memories with an unforgettable day out at Wembley (or Cardiff).

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
We need to all stand up and do something to get rid off the play off system it is not a fair system and was probably invented just to sell more tickets. The top 3 should go up to the premier league it is that simple !

Can we make this happen before Friday please?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I love the play offs exactly as they are. Sometimes it works in your favour, sometimes it doesn't. We all know where we stand at the start of the season. An awful lot of bad losers around.
Nothing wrong with putting forward constructive suggestions on how they could be improved in future seasons.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Despite what's happened this season I still wouldn't scrap the Play Offs but I would tweak it a bit:

The 3rd place team goes straight into the Play Off Final; 6th place plays away at the 5th placed team and the winner of that game plays away at the team that came 4th for the other final place..?

If the 6th placed team wins the final they've still only played 3 games like they would have to in the current format.

This is such a great idea.

Yes the play-offs suck when you finish 3rd and are great when you are 4th/5th/6th.The idea by MF'84 is perfect.
It recognises the achievements of the 4 teams in the play-offs by giving the higher placed an advantage which is only fair.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
have e-mailed the Football League on this very subject. Fail to see how a team finishing 15 points behind us could go up. Appreciate we all know the rules, but think I'm right in saying this scenario hasn't happened before (open to correction). My suggestion is that the third from bottom team in all four leagues should play the third team from the bottom in the league above. Of course this would mean the Football League would miss out on the finances, but in the end would be fairer for us supporters.......never happen, though !!

I think Aldershot were even further behind Wolves in the old div 4

not being pedantic,just a nice piece of football trivia

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Come on.......We were all happy to be in the playoffs when Leo nodded In that goal at 90 mins at Forest a few years ago.

Its totally unfair, but gives all mid table teams and above something to play for halfway through the season.

American football is unfair, as a team can go the season unbeaten, reach the super bowl and lose in the final to a team who have lost numerous times before.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Exactly. I wonder what the OP's reaction was when Ulloa scored that last-minute winner at Forest to sneak us into the play-offs a couple of years ago? I bet he didn't sit there thinking "Naa, this is all wrong, I'm not going to celebrate, Derby should go up automatically, it's not right they have to play us, we don't deserve this chance".

(And yes I know we played Derby like that's what we thought, but that's beside the point).

It is sour grapes mate.

There will be no whinning on here if we win the final LOL.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We need to all stand up and do something to get rid off the play off system it is not a fair system and was probably invented just to sell more tickets. The top 3 should go up to the premier league it is that simple !

To be fair, we have lots of issues with yesterday but the play offs aren't one of them. Did you complain when we won at the Millennium having come fourth in the league (beating third place Bristol City). The play offs keep the season going a lot longer than it would otherwise (the Championship would have all been decided two weeks ago without them).

This is the fifth time we've been in the play offs and we've never before finished top of the teams taking part in them. Just because we came third with 89 points isn't a reason to complain about the play offs. We all knew the rules at the start of the season.

svewa54

Banned
May 7, 2016
To be fair, we have lots of issues with yesterday but the play offs aren't one of them. Did you complain when we won at the Millennium having come fourth in the league (beating third place Bristol City). The play offs keep the season going a lot longer than it would otherwise (the Championship would have all been decided two weeks ago without them).

This is the fifth time we've been in the play offs and we've never before finished top of the teams taking part in them. Just because we came third with 89 points isn't a reason to complain about the play offs. We all knew the rules at the start of the season.

Well, sorry mate. It's me again. Just think if Wednesday got promoted. You are 15 points ahead of them. Ridiculous. It should be the first 3.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Well, sorry mate. It's me again. Just think if Wednesday got promoted. You are 15 points ahead of them. Ridiculous. It should be the first 3.

I honestly think football would be less interesting without the play offs. Yes, I will be pissed off if Wednesday go up instead of Brighton (as you would have been if it was instead of Boro) but it makes the season last longer for a number of teams and is more exciting for the neutral. Just because my team are in the position we're in, doesn't mean I should criticise the play offs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't like the play offs. Never have. Disliked the whole idea when they were started. If three are going to be promoted, that should be the top three.

Recognise the fact that the play offs are the way it is now. Nothing I (or anybody else) says is going to put the clock back - too much money involved. Sometimes we just have to accept changes we don't particularly like. Shit happens.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Don't like the play offs. Never have. Disliked the whole idea when they were started. If three are going to be promoted, that should be the top three.

Recognise the fact that the play offs are the way it is now. Nothing I (or anybody else) says is going to put the clock back - too much money involved. Sometimes we just have to accept changes we don't particularly like. Shit happens.

You will still be welcome at Wembley :kiss: but deep down you are correct....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Didn't Boro, who were 3rd top, go up before by beating Chelsea, who were 3rd bottom. Old system?

dont think so, its some foreign leagues that have that sort of play off arrangment.

ive always liked the play offs, season would be over for a dozen teams at easter without it. however it does seem a bit odd a team with 15 points more will have to prove themselves and isnt really given any advantage. the suggestion 1st page of 6 vs 5 followed by winner vs 4, then winner vs 3rd sounds a interesting handicap. im not convinced second leg at home is always much an advantage.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
dont think so, its some foreign leagues that have that sort of play off arrangment.

ive always liked the play offs, season would be over for a dozen teams at easter without it. however it does seem a bit odd a team with 15 points more will have to prove themselves and isnt really given any advantage. the suggestion 1st page of 6 vs 5 followed by winner vs 4, then winner vs 3rd sounds a interesting handicap. im not convinced second leg at home is always much an advantage.
Elsewhere the idea has been mooted that the play offs should continue, but without extra time and penalties. Unless the lower placed team actually beats the higher placed team, the higher placed team goes through. Still keep the same revenue streams, but a modicum of fairness, acknowledging the superiority over 46 games, comes into play.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The play offs is good for football. We're just at the unfair end of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here