gerrard, one of the greatest modern footballers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm not, I just pointed out that England have won nothing sonce 1966 because ourr football is not good enough. One reason is that people think Bryan Robson and Gerrard are world class. They are not, seemy post about what should have been the triangle, scholes (holding), Roney (creative) and Lampard (goals). For me it was so bloody obvious that Gerrard should have been on the bench. He was just not world class but if you think he was then fair enough, we just wont agree.

Part of English footballs problem is that we use phrases like world class, which is defined in England as having won an international knock out cup competition that happens every two years, rather than consistently performing at the highest level.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Well here's a go at a top 25 ( post 1945 )....in no particular order.
Matthews, Finney, Edwards, Wright, Haynes, Greaves, Mackay, Law, Charlton R, Best, Banks, Moore, Keegan, Dalglish, Rush, Robson, Jennings, Brady, Hoddle, Gascoigne, Shilton , Lineker, Shearer, Keane, Scholes.
( and that's leaving out plenty more who were better than Gerrard...e.g Baxter, Bremner, Giles, Johnstone, Brooking, McGrath, Hansen, Lawrenson, Souness, Currie, Osgood, Worthington, Cooper, Beardsley, Ball, Peters, Blanchflower, McIlroy, Charles, Francis and so on and so on.... )
I know you said British and I've included some from ROI ( but Roy Keane was too good to leave out and McGrath and Lawro were top drawer )

blimey yeah,some list that

top 50,maybe :lol:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
A great player for many years, but lost his edge towards the end of last season, and this season.
I never thought he showed the same commitment to England as he did for Liverpool, I always thought he didn't show the same passion.
The coverage on Sky was completely OTT, it was as if he had passed away.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I have literally no idea what this means.
a misplaced foreign perception. Quite rightly we were confident from circa 1965 to 1972. In 1972 a german team with Gunter Netser etc made us realise we were far from world beaters and we have never thought we were since

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Do people think he's better than Lampard? I remember Gerrard and Lampard could never fit in the England team together so well, so I always preferred Lampard to make the starting eleven.

No not at all. I always felt that Lampard was the complete midfielder and the reason being consistency. Lampard scored 10+ goals per season for 10 years! Yes, he took penalties, but so did Gerrard. I'd pick Lampard over Gerrard literally every time.

Michelle777

Jan 2, 2015
I think he will get the best place to get his dream as champion
o.png

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Gerrard is a funny one for Sky, because he is one of Liverpools best players in the only era that exists in their minds. So we end up hearing how is one of Liverpools "all-time greatest players", "a true LEGEND of the club" etc. Whereas pre-1992 they had a rather good side, and he is probably the modern equivalent of Steve Nicol. Decent, hard-working, scores a few goals, and makes the odd Hollywood pass, but puts plenty of them out of play too.

If he'd come along 15 years earlier, he'd have had to slot in anywhere he'd have been lucky enough to get the chance to play, much as Steve Nicol had to. Good player, but not in the same echelon as Dalglish, Rush, Souness, Hanson, or Lawro. Not close.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Easier to be loyal if you play for one of the worlds biggest clubs in the first place. Do you think he would still be at tranmere if he had signed for them as a kid instead?

Great player, but one of the modern masters of flannel and saying the right things to fans. Always hated his england interviews, and him being a key part of that generation who played for England with an arrogance and sense of entitlement, and very little humility.

This.

Feb 14, 2010
Gerrard is a funny one for Sky, because he is one of Liverpools best players in the only era that exists in their minds. So we end up hearing how is one of Liverpools "all-time greatest players", "a true LEGEND of the club" etc. Whereas pre-1992 they had a rather good side, and he is probably the modern equivalent of Steve Nicol. Decent, hard-working, scores a few goals, and makes the odd Hollywood pass, but puts plenty of them out of play too.

If he'd come along 15 years earlier, he'd have had to slot in anywhere he'd have been lucky enough to get the chance to play, much as Steve Nicol had to. Good player, but not in the same echelon as Dalglish, Rush, Souness, Hanson, or Lawro. Not close.

Spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports