Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gerrard Confirmed as Villa Boss

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
NSC has some widespread hate for a number of English players(current or ex). Harry Kane is one of the current players the majority seems to hate while Gerrard is a past player that seems to get the same treatment. I know nothing of him as a person other than through second hand information or from interviews. Neither of those paint him in a particularly bad light.

I'm not massively bothered if he fails or succeeds as a manager but I think I'd rather he succeeded. The more successful English managers there are the better. Same goes for Lampard. Whether either of them will I have my doubts but I'm not going to put the boot into either, there are plenty of people willing to do that already.

For every lampard or gerrard getting chance after chance despite being terrible there are likely 2 or 3 graham potters who’ll never get a single chance because they aren’t big names. That is what needs fixing.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
….as long as you don’t challenge his music.

And a gold club refused him membership as they didn’t like him. He was seconded by Dalglish and Hansen. That’s some snub.

I'm not sure it was a snub in that way. The reports were that they have zero tolerance for a history of doing anything that if repeated would bring the club into disrepute. That rule is applied to all equally and Gerrard's street fight many years ago ruled him out. Don't remember it being more than that (but may of course be wrong).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep, all of that. The other problem with former top players who become managers like Gerrard is that they haven’t done the hard yards and learnt their trade to deal with those situations you highlight. A year with Liverpool kids then walking into Rangers and Villa where he’s admitted he was totally reliant on the coaching of Beale - he’s not got the experience needed of managing the day to day of the job.

The reason why Potter is now so good is the years he had in the job before. I see a lot of people on here saying they want Bruno to succeed Potter whenever he goes - as much as I love Bruno there is no way I’d want him to take over for exactly the same reasons. I would want someone who’s been a head coach or manager for years before taking on a PL job.

I do think coaching in this country has moved on so much in recent years, almost catching up with Europe, that I think the days of the Lampard’s and Gerrard’s walking into jobs they’re not qualified for will end. Everyone will realise how shit they are compared to the likes of Potter, Frank, Cooper and other British and foreign coaches who have done the hard yards.

As one of the NSC posters who has fantasised at the prospect of Bruno succeeding Potter (I'm a romantic, rather than a realist/rationalist -- who are the deluded), in my defence I've only ever romanticised about a Liam-Bruno combo, the latter having done the hard yards under the Potter, the former having done the hard yards elsewhere.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
….as long as you don’t challenge his music.

And a gold club refused him membership as they didn’t like him. He was seconded by Dalglish and Hansen. That’s some snub.

Hillside in Southport (next to Royal Birkdale). Apparently after a change of personnel a year later Dalglish and Souness nominated him again and he was accepted.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Gerrard is on triple potters salary so I guess they will do 4-5x.

We have to give him a new pay packet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surprised you have such knowledge of personnel contracts.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
For every lampard or gerrard getting chance after chance despite being terrible there are likely 2 or 3 graham potters who’ll never get a single chance because they aren’t big names. That is what needs fixing.
I don't disagree that they shouldn't get chance after chance just because of who they are. I don't think they have. Yet.

And while they haven't proven themselves to be incompetent(yet) I'd prefer that they don't and go on to be a success.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yep, the Monkey Tennis League will only ever be a two horse race.

I think Gerrard sets up ok for odd games …..

I'd add that Stevie G seems to be thoroughly unpleasant as a human being in my opinion.

Your post starts well but when you refer to him as Stevie G it detracts from the clear dislike you have of him, imho.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I wouldn’t say Lampard is undeserved of chances

He did well at Derby and Chelsea he was always a stop gap and did OK

Is Everton all his fault, I would argue he did well In keeping them up in the end.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I can see Brendan Rodgers ending up at Villa before the end of the season. All is not well at Leicester to the extent he’ll either walk or be pushed. Villa supposedly were keen to get him before when he was at Celtic and CEO Christian Purslow surely knows him. They weren’t at Liverpool at the same time but close enough to have many mutual connections. They’d seem a decent fit in terms of reputation and the size of the club.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I can see Brendan Rodgers ending up at Villa before the end of the season. All is not well at Leicester to the extent he’ll either walk or be pushed. Villa supposedly were keen to get him before when he was at Celtic and CEO Christian Purslow surely knows him. They weren’t at Liverpool at the same time but close enough to have many mutual connections. They’d seem a decent fit in terms of reputation and the size of the club.

I think this is a decent shout - I’ve felt since the beginning of the season that Gerrard will get found out and will be sacked by Christmas. The way things are going at Leicester at the moment and on the verge of losing Fofana too I think it won’t be long before Rodgers quits as he seems to have taken them as far as he can with the financial restrictions they seem to be under now. In doing so I reckon that will expedite Gerrard getting the sack so that Villa can pounce on Rodgers before another club does.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think this is a decent shout - I’ve felt since the beginning of the season that Gerrard will get found out and will be sacked by Christmas. The way things are going at Leicester at the moment and on the verge of losing Fofana too I think it won’t be long before Rodgers quits as he seems to have taken them as far as he can with the financial restrictions they seem to be under now. In doing so I reckon that will expedite Gerrard getting the sack so that Villa can pounce on Rodgers before another club does.

The actual fanbase are obsessed with Potter.
https://www.villatalk.com/topic/23247-the-next-manager-of-aston-villa/page/97/

Someone even wonders who’s next for us, should Potter move on.

Sounds like they need Bloom, Barber, Weir and Potter.

Last edited:

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean

I noticed you edited your comment and removed the bit about Rodgers not even getting a mention once you’d read more of that thread before page 97 ! :lolol:

I’ve disliked Villa for a while now because of their deluded fans and sense of ‘big club’ entitlement, and reading that thread makes me want them to get relegated even more now when you read comments such as:

“ I think Villa has a brighter future than Brighton, Brighton are this era's version of Swansea and Southampton, they too were hailed as brilliant clubs with forward thinking models showing others the way it should be done, but they faded into midtable at best, and I think the same too will happen to Brighton, if Potter has any sense if we offer him the job he should take it whilst his stock is high.”

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some very strange and deludad fans on there.

Including “useless”, who sees our over hyped balloon popping.

8D5DEC3B-CEB5-4166-97A1-EB9EE4E00A11.png

Spectacularly missing the point that the club/Potter are overachieving relative to spend.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
:lolol:

I noticed you edited your comment and removed the bit about Rodgers not even getting a mention once you’d read more of that thread before page 97 ! :lolol:

I’ve disliked Villa for a while now because of their deluded fans and sense of ‘big club’ entitlement, and reading that thread makes me want them to get relegated even more now when you read comments such as:

“ I think Villa has a brighter future than Brighton, Brighton are this era's version of Swansea and Southampton, they too were hailed as brilliant clubs with forward thinking models showing others the way it should be done, but they faded into midtable at best, and I think the same too will happen to Brighton, if Potter has any sense if we offer him the job he should take it whilst his stock is high.”

True. I delved back and at tea-time in desperation Rodgers was getting mentions along with all and sundry.

Then as the Brummie evening gloom hit home, they all narrowed it down to a straight choice between Poch and Potter.

I couldn’t stand their fans from visits there, not just the one where we blew the Championship title. Hundreds or more thick-as-shit supporters every time obsessed with, the zzzzz homophobia, cut throat gestures to Albion folk there to see the football. I don’t think of them as tough, just plain cringeworthy. I haven’t seen that at Emirates, Anfield, SJP.

Small time.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Got to love football forum experts. Someone on there saying that we don't appoint little known managers and citing Poyet and Oscar Garcia as evidence. Poyet who we gave his first job as a manager and Garcia who had got Maccabi Tel Aviv promoted from the Israeli second tier.

Gerrard is not Villa's problem. He's not going to be a tactical master, but he'll be fine coaching a team if he has players that fit his low block & counter approach. That isn't the likes of Coutinho who was presumably signed because Purslow and the owners were trying to 'statement' their way back into the big time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Got to love football forum experts. Someone on there saying that we don't appoint little known managers and citing Poyet and Oscar Garcia as evidence. Poyet who we gave his first job as a manager and Garcia who had got Maccabi Tel Aviv promoted from the Israeli second tier.

Gerrard is not Villa's problem. He's not going to be a tactical master, but he'll be fine coaching a team if he has players that fit his low block & counter approach. That isn't the likes of Coutinho who was presumably signed because Purslow and the owners were trying to 'statement' their way back into the big time.

The new owners spent vast sums over a few Championship and then initial EPL seasons, it’s tailed off heavily.

Losing Sockboy was the game changer, their Zaha/Kane/Richarlison figure who turned some draws into wins, losses into draws.

There squad is nothing special and they’ll always concede goals with those CB’s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here