"Germany warns Uefa may quit Fifa if World Cup report not published"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sadly this just goes to highlight just how low our standing has become in World football. England speak out against FIFA and people accuse us of sour grapes etc. Germany speak out against FIFA, and people take notice.

Anyway, apart from that, please please please let this happen. Anything or anyone that brings down FIFA gets a big fat :thumbsup: from me.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sadly this just goes to highlight just how low our standing has become in World football. England speak out against FIFA and people accuse us of sour grapes etc. Germany speak out against FIFA, and people take notice.

Anyway, apart from that, please please please let this happen. Anything or anyone that brings down FIFA gets a big fat :thumbsup: from me.

Dead right. Unfortunately, it's not just our standing in football. Loving the way Merkel is basically ignoring Cameron. She knows they can carry on without us.

Anyway, back to Fifa. I so hope this happens.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who has taken notice?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But Greg Dyke is a poor leader and few listen to him. He lacks authority and any real clarity.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The world's sporting media for a start.
So have you checked the world sporting media, and you can confirm that they're now talking about corruption in FIFA, but they weren't talking about it until Germany said UEFA could leave FIFA?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So have you checked the world sporting media, and you can confirm that they're now talking about corruption in FIFA, but they weren't talking about it until Germany said UEFA could leave FIFA?

I was referring to the German statement. Clearly corruption was being discussed. Not so clear was any singular statement or action which people got behind.....until now that is.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FIFA is highly dependent upon its sponsors for revenue. Those sponsors are globally known brands. If fans really cared about the stink, they would organise a boycott of those brands until full and thorough disclosures of this tawdry set of events is made.

That would include boycotting the likes of adidas, Coca-Cola, Emirates, Sony, Visa, Hyundai/Kia as their global partners.

Alternatively boycott FIFA on the Playstation/Xbox, and organise publicity to that effect.
Fair enough, I'm up for that:

Adidas - never bought 'em;
Coca-Cola - prefer supermarkets' own brands - taste the same but cheaper;
Emirates - I don't fly;
Sony - have got the odd item, but no more; no more Samsung either, if they take over if Sony leave;
Hyundai/Kia - am looking for a replacement car; never buy new ones anyway, by Hyundai/Kias have just been crossed of the list of possible second hand ones;
Playstation/Xbox - nah, can't even be bothered.

So, can someone please advise me on how to get my bank to change my debit card from Visa to something else?

Job done. Hopefully FIFA will shortly be finished!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was referring to the German statement. Clearly corruption was being discussed. Not so clear was any singular statement or action which people got behind.....until now that is.
All I'm saying is that I don't see any evidence confirming pasty's point that: 'Sadly this just goes to highlight just how low our standing has become in World football. England speak out against FIFA and people accuse us of sour grapes etc. Germany speak out against FIFA, and people take notice.'

As you say, Germany have made a particular statement. I expect the English media has done more than anyone to bring this issue to the fore, and because of that, FIFA are particularly anti-England. Given that position, it is good if other countries can help lead the fight.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The English Football Association has been urged to lobby Uefa for a European boycott of the next World Cup - unless Fifa implements meaningful reform.

Former FA chairman David Bernstein said it was time for drastic action against football's world governing body.

"England on its own cannot influence this," he said. "If we tried something like that, we'd be laughed at."

He says a World Cup would be weakened without Europe's top teams and that a boycott would have public backing.

"If I was at the FA now, I would do everything I could to encourage other nations within Uefa - and there are some who would definitely be on side, others may be not - to take this line," he added.

"At some stage, you have to walk the walk, stop talking and do something."

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Power is defined as legitimate authority

Delegitimise Blatter's authority, and the walls will come tumbling down, a la the ending of the rather troubling film Festen...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Former FA chairman David Bernstein said it was time for drastic action against football's world governing body.

"England on its own cannot influence this," he said. "If we tried something like that, we'd be laughed at."

We get laughed at every 2 years anyway.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Football Association chairman Greg Dyke has written to Fifa's top executives demanding a report into alleged World Cup corruption is published in full. "

Obviously becoming clear that the FA and the UEFA won't let this be swept under the carpet

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Well, now it's getting fun. I've said (as have others) on numerous threads that it'd be completely pointless for one FA/nation to go against FIFA as they'd only end up hurting themselves through lack of participation in FIFA competitions (which is everything).

However, if they suddenly lost the support of the (probably) highest generating confederation there may be no choice but to start playing along.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Fifa ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert and lawyer Michael Garcia have agreed to release full copies of reports into alleged World Cup bidding corruption to the organisation's compliance chief.

Domenico Scala will put selected evidence to Fifa's Executive Committee.

The body will then "evaluate which steps are required", leaving the door open to a possible re-vote.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Fifa ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert and lawyer Michael Garcia have agreed to release full copies of reports into alleged World Cup bidding corruption to the organisation's compliance chief.

Domenico Scala will put selected evidence to Fifa's Executive Committee.

The body will then "evaluate which steps are required", leaving the door open to a possible re-vote.

"Domenico Scala" - the Don? Is there a mafia connection here?!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports