Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Germany-Netherlands game 'canceled for security reasons'

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Nothing on BBC or Channel 4 website. Sounds like Twitter bollocks (hopefully). Why do people do that?

Bozza retweeted a quote from the Chief of Hanover Police, saying along those lines. I'd therefore be very surprised if it turned out to be far from the truth, although I do agree having just flicked through various news channels that it's strange it's not been picked up on? Unless it's a little too soon - I doubt Hanover is flooded with Sky/BBC reporters.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Police have now closed off a section of the Hauptbahnhof’s Central Station in Hanover:

BREAKING: Police in Hanover have closed a section of the city's central train station as another object has been discovered"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Even this far out you can see the Euros being a complete disaster with games being called off at the last moment left, right and centre. Either that or security cordons so tight it sucks the spirit and atmosphere out of the whole event.

Security will be tight, but there's seven months to set it out. I think it will go ahead &'work.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Mail have mentioned this "ambulance bomb" on their website, but then quietly say at the end that it's a case of "reports suggest that..." rather than any confirmed source.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Police have now closed off a section of the Hauptbahnhof’s Central Station in Hanover:

BREAKING: Police in Hanover have closed a section of the city's central train station as another object has been discovered"

We're going to have a period of continual security alerts now. I remember the day of the London Tube bombings. Some gibbon took it upon themself to leave their suitcase outside Brighton station whilst that was all going on in London. Which of course entailed the entire station and about 500m of Queens Road being cordoned off for several hours until the EOD guys could get there (which, obviously considering the wider events, was bloody ages).

Naturally, it was entirely innocent and turned out to be just a suitcase full of clothes. But that was the first of hundreds of bomb scares that then ensued over the next few weeks, in Brighton alone. You can't blame people for calling 999. But you can be pretty pissed off at the stupidity of those who leave stuff lying around without thinking about it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We the plebs are expendable. Only if Isis start killing prominent politicians from leading nations do I think decisive action will be taken. At the moment we're in a position where "Britain can take it" For all the bluster spewing out of politicians, we haven't reached anywhere near the chaos and bloodshed required for politicians across Europe to get a handle on the magnitude of this problem. The ones who will perhaps solve this probably aren't even in office yet, they're someday off in the future. Moreover democracies need almost total disaster to take place first. Anyone remember what the West did between Sept 1939 and May 1940 for example? And that's before anyone mentions Munich.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Mail have mentioned this "ambulance bomb" on their website, but then quietly say at the end that it's a case of "reports suggest that..." rather than any confirmed source.

The first reports I saw mentioned "rescue vehicle" so I did wonder where ambulance came about due to a bad German:English translation or similar.

You'd think it would be difficult to nick an ambulance.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Surely not, just a suspicious package, no way would there be trouble in Germany after they have welcomed so many refugees in.

I've seen it written in a few articles that Un-Islamic State do not want refugees constantly leaving and being welcomed. They cant have a Caliphate with out a population to control.

Another reason I believe a fake Syrian passport was found on one of the French terrorists, to make it look like he came from Syria as refugee, then hoping Europe will then slam the door shut to them.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
If they did get a tip off and manage to stop another attack then we'll done to whoever was the brave or alert person who warned the authorities. Many many lives possibly saved. Likely the agent, source or member of the security forces will never be known to the public.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
If they did get a tip off and manage to stop another attack then we'll done to whoever was the brave or alert person who warned the authorities. Many many lives possibly saved. Likely the agent, source or member of the security forces will never be known to the public.

According to German news agency DPA, the information about a planned Islamist attack had come from a foreign intelligence service.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The first reports I saw mentioned "rescue vehicle" so I did wonder where ambulance came about due to a bad German:English translation or similar.

You'd think it would be difficult to nick an ambulance.

You'd think, wouldn't you...

It does happen. I can certainly recall briefings about that sort of stuff going missing here. Naturally it tends to send the balloon up amongst those in charge, as there aren't many decent reasons for somebody to nick an ambulance or a fire appliance, or a 999 service uniform etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We're going to have a period of continual security alerts now. I remember the day of the London Tube bombings. Some gibbon took it upon themself to leave their suitcase outside Brighton station whilst that was all going on in London. Which of course entailed the entire station and about 500m of Queens Road being cordoned off for several hours until the EOD guys could get there (which, obviously considering the wider events, was bloody ages).

Naturally, it was entirely innocent and turned out to be just a suitcase full of clothes. But that was the first of hundreds of bomb scares that then ensued over the next few weeks, in Brighton alone. You can't blame people for calling 999. But you can be pretty pissed off at the stupidity of those who leave stuff lying around without thinking about it.

I was in New York on 9/11 and London on 7/7 - very much the same in both, NYC in particular was on a knife-edge with all sorts of scares. Obvious tension in the air, multiple false alarms etc etc. Will always be safety first so might as well get used to this now. Depressing times.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We the plebs are expendable. Only if Isis start killing prominent politicians from leading nations do I think decisive action will be taken. At the moment we're in a position where "Britain can take it" For all the bluster spewing out of politicians, we haven't reached anywhere near the chaos and bloodshed required for politicians across Europe to get a handle on the magnitude of this problem. The ones who will perhaps solve this probably aren't even in office yet, they're someday off in the future. Moreover democracies need almost total disaster to take place first. Anyone remember what the West did between Sept 1939 and May 1940 for example? And that's before anyone mentions Munich.

There was a trial last year of a terrorist plotting to assassinate Blair, which was foiled by our security forces. Another 6 cases were heard where the plots had been uncovered.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We the plebs are expendable

I hate that I feel like this, but I can't help feeling you're right.

Look at Cameron's speech the other day. He knows that his Government have made their bed with the cuts to public spending, and he can't lose face by making a u-turn now. I read what he said as "Hey, it's going to happen, and we're not going to risk looking stupid by changing our minds on cutting back on police and the military and the security services. So look after yourselves, people, be vigilant, and do the work that you thought you were paying taxes for. And remember: it's not the Government's fault! It's those ISIS *******s!".

Alright, he chucked a bit of money at MI5 & MI6 as a token gesture to make it look like he was actually reacting to events. But that's massively shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There was a trial last year of a terrorist plotting to assassinate Blair, which was foiled by our security forces. Another 6 cases were heard where the plots had been uncovered.

It makes you wonder just how hard our security services must work to protect all of us. No major incidents on UK soil since 2005 and literally dozens of credible and major attacks thwarted since then. There's no way the UK thinks its subjects are expendable. No way at all.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Agree with this. We now have the fear factor which will cause issues all over. The murderers will see this as an achievement or probably some sadistic victory over the west

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here