Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

German Shepherd

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Thinking of getting a German Shepherd or a similar type of dog like an Alaskan Shepherd...

I seem to keep hearing that they can have a lot of health problems especially the hind legs if they have a sloped back.

Anyone here own one and can tell me a little bit more about them/ experiences with them/ mixed breeds vs full?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Get a cross - only way to get a strong dog with a decent life. There are some fantastic crosses that look pretty much full German Shephered.

The other benefit about a cross is that the insurance is cheaper too; all thoroughbred dog insurance premiums rocket. My two Lurchers (which is a cross by definition) were luckily described as cross breeds by my vet and hence didn't carry the higher premium for Lurchers, which insurance companies now pretend are some sort of thoroughbred. These designer crosses such as labradoodles and other mixes are also latched onto by insurance companies to get higher premiums. It's a real con.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Get a cross - only way to get a strong dog with a decent life. There are some fantastic crosses that look pretty much full German Shephered.

The other benefit about a cross is that the insurance is cheaper too; all thoroughbred dog insurance premiums rocket. My two Lurchers (which is a cross by definition) were luckily described as cross breeds by my vet and hence didn't carry the higher premium for Lurchers, which insurance companies now pretend are some sort of thoroughbred. These designer crosses such as labradoodles and other mixes are also latched onto by insurance companies to get higher premiums. It's a real con.

At £7 a month I can't complain about the insurance on our CockerPoodle but with a £394 bill for an ear infection the insurance company might complain about me...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here