Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] German Jews warned not to wear kippas after rise in anti-Semitism

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If religion hadn’t been invented, there would still be wars, discrimination, racism, armed conflict over territory, natural resources, access to water.

I agree that bigots, whether they be religious, racist or political, make it a less pleasant world.

(I’m personally not religious btw).

I like to think that I never look at people differently due to being a different skin colour, place of birth to me, or they have a faith. But unfortunately many people do, even the UK. Normally from the political extremes.

My mum was Burmese (passed on 3 months back bless her), my step brothers are black, I hate black, it just sounds horrible, but it is how it is nowadays, I never ever look at another person as anything other than what they are, my family and my mates.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Would you feel sorry for me,a minority in Birmingham,if I was beaten up by a Bangladeshi?

Yeah, as a fellow West Midlands exile, and on the assumption you are white British, I can confirm that around 54 percent of population in Birmingham is white British so...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yeah, as a fellow West Midlands exile, and on the assumption you are white British, I can confirm that around 58 percent of population in Birmingham is white British so...

And having lived in West Euston/Camden/Mornington Crescent I can confirm I was a white minority that was once beaten up by muslims too.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
And having lived in West Euston/Camden/Mornington Crescent I can confirm I was a white minority that was once beaten up by muslims too.

That’s nice. Thanks for sharing. As you were being beaten up, did you manage to ascertain why? Was it because you were white or had you wronged them in some way? Context is important after all...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
That’s nice. Thanks for sharing. As you were being beaten up, did you manage to ascertain why? Was it because you were white or had you wronged them in some way? Context is important after all...

To put it into a post would take time. To sum it up, I was chatting up a girl, white girl, and we hit it off, they quite simply did not like it and took me out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Would you feel sorry for me,a minority in Birmingham,if I was beaten up by a Bangladeshi?

Yep definitely, against all violence outside the boxing ring.

But minorities in many parts of the world face a tangible threat the moment they leave their front doors, purely because they look different or don’t tick the right boxes as held the majority of locals. I feel for the daily fear they face.

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
To put it into a post would take time. To sum it up, I was chatting up a girl, white girl, and we hit it off, they quite simply did not like it and took me out.

Well that’s morally reprehensible then. I do however question why their religious belief is a key feature in your retelling of the story (would you have felt the need to clarify their religious affiliation if they were Christian?) and how you knew they were Muslim in the first place?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The image of Israel, on the whole probably isn't wrong. Intolerant, western (America) backed they just do at will what they want against the Arabic majority with little impunity. If at the end of WW2 I'd have been chucked out of my country for no other reason than settling Europeans, I'd still be a bit pissed off with it. Added to that the way they go about their bloodied hand business, you have a recipe for disaster. It has been a disaster since 1948.

It started way before 1948 a number of and we had a hand in it one of several important dates was The Cairo Conference of 1921. The conference approved a plan for giving control over two large pieces of the former Turkish territories that Britain controlled to princes in the Hashemite family. It was agreed that Prince Feisal, with whom T.E. Lawrence had worked during and after the First World War, would become king of a new country created from the Turkish Province of Mesopotamia; it would be called Iraq. His brother, Prince Abdullah, would rule a country made up of Palestine west of the Jordan River: Transjordan (now Jordan).

Quite a bit of the history and turmoil of the modern Middle East can be traced back to the Cairo Conference, where Iraq was patched together out of Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish territories. The Kurds were not given their own country. Palestine was divided in half, with an eye towards eventually giving the Jews the other half,

This conference which was arranged by Winston Churchill and 39 British officials all male with little of no experience of the Middle Eastern people's with the exception of TE Laurance and the only woman in attendance Girtude Bell effectively cut the Middle East up using a ruler and pencil the term you reap what you sow springs to mind

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well that’s morally reprehensible then. I do however question why their religious belief is a key feature in your retelling of the story (would you have felt the need to clarify their religious affiliation if they were Christian?) and how you knew they were Muslim in the first place?

Being from the black country, as your monica says, I think you would know? I think you know when you are set upon by a few muslims, or Asians, or Africans, I think you have an inkling. Religious belief? Whatever the religion is, tend to be quite aggressive, history tells us so. I know you are trying to call me out, but you weren't there when my head was getting knocked about.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019

There is some serious, bendy, identity politics accommodation going on there, imho.
....but if it makes you happy, fill your boots.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It started way before 1948 a number of and we had a hand in it one of several important dates was The Cairo Conference of 1921. The conference approved a plan for giving control over two large pieces of the former Turkish territories that Britain controlled to princes in the Hashemite family. It was agreed that Prince Feisal, with whom T.E. Lawrence had worked during and after the First World War, would become king of a new country created from the Turkish Province of Mesopotamia; it would be called Iraq. His brother, Prince Abdullah, would rule a country made up of Palestine west of the Jordan River: Transjordan (now Jordan).

Quite a bit of the history and turmoil of the modern Middle East can be traced back to the Cairo Conference, where Iraq was patched together out of Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish territories. The Kurds were not given their own country. Palestine was divided in half, with an eye towards eventually giving the Jews the other half,

This conference which was arranged by Winston Churchill and 39 British officials all male with little of no experience of the Middle Eastern people's with the exception of TE Laurance and the only woman in attendance Girtude Bell effectively cut the Middle East up using a ruler and pencil the term you reap what you sow springs to mind

Thanks for the Google lesson.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Same here.

But I feel for minorities particularly and don’t hold it against them if they worship a faith. Whether it be a Bangladeshi beaten up in a UK town, a black person by police in the USA, a Jew in Germany or a Palestinian in Tel Aviv.

They aren't minorities in their own country.

“Their own country” - it’s this sort of attitude that breeds the hatred being discussed.

Is a Jew living in Germany any less German than any other citizen. The same with the guy of Bangladeshi descent in the UK or the African American in the US.

The ethnic origin of an individual does not define a person.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Being from the black country, as your monica says, I think you would know? I think you know when you are set upon by a few muslims, or Asians, or Africans, I think you have an inkling. Religious belief? Whatever the religion is, tend to be quite aggressive, history tells us so. I know you are trying to call me out, but you weren't there when my head was getting knocked about.

I’m merely trying to build the bigger picture. Thankfully, I’ve never been set on by anyone of any description and my interactions with a multitude of different peoples from different backgrounds, religious and non, have all been perfectly peaceful and pleasant (bar the mother in law).

D

Deleted member 22389

Must of been about 1993, me and couple of other friends where walking along Brighton beach at about 10pm. All of a sudden a large group of Asians turned up and just started hurling stones at us. Honestly thought that was it, someone was going get badly hurt here. I got hit in the hip, my friend got hit on the back and shoulder, we ran like hell to get out of there, there must have been about twenty of them. Never forgotten this incident to this day, but why would they start throwing stones?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
“Their own country” - it’s this sort of attitude that breeds the hatred being discussed.

Is a Jew living in Germany any less German than any other citizen. The same with the guy of Bangladeshi descent in the UK or the African American in the US.

Doesn't give a reason to hate them either, but my post of they aren't a minority in their own country still rings true.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I’m merely trying to build the bigger picture. Thankfully, I’ve never been set on by anyone of any description and my interactions with a multitude of different peoples from different backgrounds, religious and non, have all been perfectly peaceful and pleasant (bar the mother in law).

I said what happened, I was in a muslim area and those that do drink were in the pub. I was 500 yards from my flat, think I had reason to be there. The barmaid, a white girl, took a shine to me, they didn't like it, really was that simple.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Is one of my core beliefs. I made that plain in post #38.

It’s the racists and bigots (increasing in number, sadly), who view anyone not looking like them and/or originating from the same country as them and/or holding different beliefs, as a target.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here