Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

German football: secret to their success?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Having a football association that actually controls their own system would be a good start at our end.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Bit obvious, I'd of thought.

Any kid in Germany who has a bit of sporting ability will not be distracted [aka diluted] by other international sports like Cricket or Rugby, they focus all their best talent, players and coaches, into excelling in only one front-line sport - football

If they had a world class rugby or cricket set up, some of the very best kids would end up not getting into football.

To put it simply, if England wants to be the best in the world, we have to reduce the options for the best sporting kids to choose from. #nevergonnahappen

Don't buy that argument at all sorry.

I'm convinced it's the third rate coaching in this country.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
That's not quite though. The German hockey team is one of the best in the world and there's also a thriving, fully professional handball team. They've had a few decent tennis and golf players over the years.

And funny you should mention rugby as that's beginning to pick up again (they had a decent rugby team before the war, able to beat France but it got banned by Hitler). They're hopeful of qualifying for the 2023 WC.

Besides, if England is going to concentrate on one sport, shouldn't it be rugby? We're slightly better at it :)

wow, really? Why was that?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
This should provide you with a little insight.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XT9ZKBS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

images

Fantastic book and the writing style is so easy to read

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
wow, really? Why was that?

I've been looking into this and it's a myth. It's something that's widely circulated but isn't actually true (like Hitler being vegetarian). In fact, rugby continued as a sport into the war.It was quite popular with the Nazis,with about 50 clubs and 2000 registered players - dwarfed by football but a big minority sport. I also discovered that Germany won a silver medal in the Olympics when rugby was an Olympic sport.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
1. Good players don't often slip through the net because their Top League is not awash with foreigners.

2. Their newspapers don't end up selecting their National Manager

3. Their young players playing in the National Team are not whiffing helium balloons in Ibiza on their nights off

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I've been looking into this and it's a myth. It's something that's widely circulated but isn't actually true (like Hitler being vegetarian). In fact, rugby continued as a sport into the war.It was quite popular with the Nazis,with about 50 clubs and 2000 registered players - dwarfed by football but a big minority sport. I also discovered that Germany won a silver medal in the Olympics when rugby was an Olympic sport.

Ah. Didn't know the vegetarian thing was a myth though. Oh well, I think Partridge had Hitler down to a T.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
1. Good players don't often slip through the net because their Top League is not awash with foreigners.

2. Their newspapers don't end up selecting their National Manager

3. Their young players playing in the National Team are not whiffing helium balloons in Ibiza on their nights off

4. Young players who haven't been anywhere near the first teams of Bayern/ Dortmund don't earn 20k a week.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's a mindset. They don't produce any more talented footballers than we do, they just have a different - and far superior - approach to the game mentally. We rely on guts and bluster the Germans are a lot more methodical.

We won't win anything for decades until we breed that out of our young footballers,

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
They don't have five ****witts who style themselves as "The Germany Band" and make people think it's a party; The germans know it's a battle.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
This is a good insight.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent

There are a lot of flaws in the UK model. We churn through players from an early age. Kids who have been signed at 8 then dropped at 9 don't take it well. At all ages it's incredibly cliquey.

When they get to 16/17 they tend to have focused on football and not education.

That's based on my own kids experience of the development and academy system at Brighton, and what I have learnt from other parents and coaches at other academies.

I won't bother going into how awful grass roots football for kids can be, but the attitudes of many kids, coaches and parents at times is poor.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
After Euro 2000 and being thumped 5-1 by England some clever fella probably had the foresight to restructure German football top to bottom.

Whereas the English FA loves abject failure and a play it safe 'yes' man as manager. And will continue to believe the hyperbole around Premier League players meaning if you're expecting change don't hold your breath.

Exactly what they did after Euro 2004 and they gave the job to a certain Jurgen Klinsmann who cleared out all the old guard and changed the international set up top to bottom. Picked players on performance rather than reputation and they have gone from strength to strength.

I'd love him to get the England job, however I doubt the suits would allow him the power and freedom to do what he did for the German national side

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I remember reading something, thought it might have been about Spanish football, but essentially the young kids aren't taught specific things rather they just let them play football. Get a feel for having a ball at their feet, let them learn what they can and can't do on their own. Then, once they have the most basics of basics down, they start moving into more "this is how this should be done" type stuff.

From what I understand youth football in England is so concentrated on winning rather than learning (and I gather this is mostly because of overly enthusiastic parents on the touchlines) that kids don't develop as well as they could.

Produce young player
Sell player to PL for £££££££££££'s
Some of money goes straight back to Grass Roots
More young talent emerges
Sell young talent to PL for ££££££££££££££££££££'s
More money goes back to Grass roots
More young talent emerges

Repeat.

German grass roots get funded by PL, Germany produces world class talent, German National team picks talent, Germany wins tournament .

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Exactly what they did after Euro 2004 and they gave the job to a certain Jurgen Klinsmann who cleared out all the old guard and changed the international set up top to bottom. Picked players on performance rather than reputation and they have gone from strength to strength.

I'd love him to get the England job, however I doubt the suits would allow him the power and freedom to do what he did for the German national side

You could get your wish he (Klinnsman) isn't the most popular with pundits, fans and the media in the US. They don't seem to understand his personality and they hate the fact he chooses any German with a US great grandparent for the national teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here