Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

German fans against Homophobia

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
If there is one club that needs to start the anti-homophobia ball rolling it is us.

No we don't.Brighton has always largely been a tolerant town,a place where the outsider can feel welcome but just because we have a considerable outsider gay population it does not follow that we have a larger than normal gay fanbase.To set ourselves up as a club that promotes the gay cause is just going to increase incidences of homophobic abuse.But we are equally as guilty in stereotyping pikeys sheepshaggers and northern monkeys.
Football fans do not REALLY think every BHAFC fan is gay but the way to fight it is to ensure the law is adhered to both home and away.
The real issue should be the fight against and true definition of Hate Crimes.That "I can see you holding hands"et all is banter and that queer bashing is the true crime.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Yeah- who wants a club that is anti-homophobia, anti-sexist, anti-racist eh? It was so much better in the old days when you could lob bananas at darkies eh!

What about football club that is just a football club w/o bringing ****ing politics into it?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
No we don't.Brighton has always largely been a tolerant town,a place where the outsider can feel welcome but just because we have a considerable outsider gay population it does not follow that we have a larger than normal gay fanbase.To set ourselves up as a club that promotes the gay cause is just going to increase incidences of homophobic abuse.But we are equally as guilty in stereotyping pikeys sheepshaggers and northern monkeys.
Football fans do not REALLY think every BHAFC fan is gay but the way to fight it is to ensure the law is adhered to both home and away.
The real issue should be the fight against and true definition of Hate Crimes.That "I can see you holding hands"et all is banter and that queer bashing is the true crime.

I understand what you are saying but if we 'promote the gay' as you put it and we get abuse for it then surely that is the problem of them and not us? The reason that homphobia persists is because no one (until recently) has really made a stand about it. Perhaps it is about time it was brought to the attention of the public, if that increases ridicule from others then it will only show them up for their narrow minded views.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What about football club that is just a football club w/o bringing ****ing politics into it?

St. Pauli only brought left wing politics into football as a stance against the fascist right wing views of FC Hamburg, that is the reason the club was created. If right wing views were not a part of football in the first place then St Pauli would not exist.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
St. Pauli only brought left wing politics into football as a stance against the fascist right wing views of FC Hamburg, that is the reason the club was created. If right wing views were not a part of football in the first place then St Pauli would not exist.

Facist right wing views ??? In Germany :ohmy:

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
I understand what you are saying but if we 'promote the gay' as you put it and we get abuse for it then surely that is the problem of them and not us? The reason that homphobia persists is because no one (until recently) has really made a stand about it. Perhaps it is about time it was brought to the attention of the public, if that increases ridicule from others then it will only show them up for their narrow minded views.

The point I am trying to make,and the folly of this weeks over-reaction from BHAFC fans groups is that no one believes all BHAFC fans are gay,the opposition fans use it as banter.Homophobia is a hate crime and it is up to the Authorities to deal with it(by arrest,ejection and by exclusion) but these are the duties of the police stewards and football clubs .
Are the chants of football fans true hate crimes?if so should we be singing We are Brighton,super Brighton,from the South?
surely a hate crime against Northern Monkeys?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The point I am trying to make,and the folly of this weeks over-reaction from BHAFC fans groups is that no one believes all BHAFC fans are gay,the opposition fans use it as banter.Homophobia is a hate crime and it is up to the Authorities to deal with it(by arrest,ejection and by exclusion) but these are the duties of the police stewards and football clubs .
Are the chants of football fans true hate crimes?if so should we be singing We are Brighton,super Brighton,from the South?
surely a hate crime against Northern Monkeys?

I am sure there was a time that monkey noises was just 'banter', at what point does banter cross the line? I know most away fans are just having a laugh and it is meant as a joke but sometimes it does go too far.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Exactly.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
St Pauli. The most annoying self absorbed little club in the history of humanity.

Keep seeing stinky long haired students in Brighton wearing St Pauli shirts to give you an idea of what their fans are about. Pretty much the type of people who throw their own poo at a McDonalds full of families trying to have lunch.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

If that is the only reason for their existance, they should be shut down. There is no place for politics in football.

LeicestershireGull

Sep 11, 2012
I certainly don't agree with too many of their views,but I do respect them as football fans.They are similar to many British clubs (including us) before the money took over,win,lose,or draw they absolutely stick by their team.There's always a place for a club like St Pauli in my book.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If that is the only reason for their existance, they should be shut down. There is no place for politics in football.

Is anti-racist, anti-fascist, anti-homophobia beliefs political or simply a decent set of human values?

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I am sure there was a time that monkey noises was just 'banter', at what point does banter cross the line? I know most away fans are just having a laugh and it is meant as a joke but sometimes it does go too far.

monkey noises were used to pick out black players, was never banter was always racist. Singing little la-de-da songs about holding hands IS NOT offensive even if you ARE holding hands with another geezer. Some people are precious little numtys and will get upset about anything

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough

That is for the police,stewards and the clubs to decide,perhaps obscene gestures and foul mouthed abuse(both criminal offences) are the obvious examples of hate crime but "Does your boyfriend" should be regarded as Banter.
What takes place week in week out is just pointless abuse not Hate crime and should be regarded as such,we are just as guilty,we sing insults about the oppositions hometown not sexualility,but insults we sling.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Clearly political. Those views have absolutely nothing to do with football on the pitch.

Your reasoning doesn't make any sense at all.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I went to a match abroad recently and there were monkey noises done to a black player.
Oddly, the group doing it were not white either!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here