Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Thorne suffers a double leg break

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
??? Come on!! Your better than this!!! Would not wish such s horrible injury on anyone!
That's the thing, it's not that horrible. I played rugby for 30 years and suffered all sorts of injuries - broken leg and arm included - and I've built up an ambivalence to injuries. They'll put a plate in and he'll be fine in 3 months, just like Tex was last year and Kaz was when he broke his leg in 2011. It happens a lot in professional and amateur sport and I think we're going a bit OTT on the awfulness of this particular injury. There have been 5 players in our squad with worse injuries this season alone as far as treatment and recovery time is concerned.

I've always been mega competitive when I play sports, and this extends to the teams I support. I'm not going to be dishonest or give insincere sympathy about an injury giving an advantage (although it may be academic in this case). Don't hate me for honesty.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
That's the thing, it's not that horrible. I played rugby for 30 years and suffered all sorts of injuries - broken leg and arm included - and I've built up an ambivalence to injuries. They'll put a plate in and he'll be fine in 3 months, just like Tex was last year and Kaz was when he broke his leg in 2011. It happens a lot in professional and amateur sport and I think we're going a bit OTT on the awfulness of this particular injury. There have been 5 players in our squad with worse injuries this season alone as far as treatment and recovery time is concerned.

I've always been mega competitive when I play sports, and this extends to the teams I support. I'm not going to be dishonest or give insincere sympathy about an injury giving an advantage (although it may be academic in this case). Don't hate me for honesty.

As long as we beat them in the playoffs i dont give a **** ,the way they acted at the amex **** em:tosser:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Don't hate me for honesty.

We don't hate you for your honesty.

We hate you for your lack of sympathy towards a player that has already had a long spell out injured.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
My sympathy to the lad. I hope he recovers quickly. Always seems to be an honest hard working pro when I see him play.
I didn't spot this story on Saturday - presumably at least 2 Ipswich players must have been sent off, given it is now the extent of an injury that determines the ref's response?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm being honest. I don't have anything against the man, but he'll recover in 3-4 months; and if it helps BHA get promoted, I won't pretend I'm not pleased. There's also a small matter of 30 000 Derby fans booing Solly March off the field after he suffered a potentially career ending injury that adds a nice sense of karma.

Not having it. It's a shitty attitude. Imagine reading that about one of our favourite young players?

And as for "it weakens them" - it doesn't even do that. They will just play (£7m) Bradley Johnson instead.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Sad news for him and Derby after suffering such a long lay off last year.

It doesn't really weaken them either as they have Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield, Johnson and Hendrick to chose from for that position.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Despite the memories of the malevolent scrotums from Derby cheering to the rafters when Solly March was stretchered off at their ground earlier this season with a cruciate injury, I hope Thorne has a speedy recovery.

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
The posts on this thread on the whole reflect well on Brighton fans - thanks for that.

Thorne's already had cruciate ligament tears in both knees and deserves a bit of luck. Early indications are that the break is at least 'clean', so hopefully he'll be back training around the start of next season.

It is a blow, because although Thorne hasn't quite got back to his form of 2 seasons ago, since the return of Bryson and Hughes from injury a good understanding has been forming between them at what seemed to be just the right time. We do at least have cover this season, although Johnson didn't make the bench on Saturday so perhaps may not be ready for the semi-finals. I can therefore see Hughes being used in the holding role, where he played against the Massive recently and did well. However, if that's the case, we'll miss his creativity further forward, so it's not ideal.

Commiserations on missing out automatic promotion - it's happened to us on the last day before (1992 - yes, it was f***ing Middlesbrough who pipped US too!), though not in such a direct way. It can't have been much fun coming away from that game, a sensation I can fully appreciate having been at Wembley for losing play-off finals twice.

I hope we can both get through and meet again at Wembley : I think it would be a terrific game. In saying that though, I could also happily go and live on a desert island for the next 3 weeks with no means of communication and only return when it's all over.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If you'd said "unfortunate" instead of "good" it would have changed the context.
You don't hold a monopoly on being competitive but the "win at all costs" in a "sporting" environment goes against the grain of a true sportsman.

Indeed rugby - a game played by gentlemen masquerading as thugs ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here