Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Osbourne refuses to sit in Standard Class

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So is that straight onto an expenses claim?

yes, so why would we believe this story? dont care who it is, seems odd you'd try sitting in First on a standard ticket, then have an aide try to blagg it, with the press around.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
A complete non story!

The Virgin press release: "Rt Hon George Osborne, chancellor, was travelling on Virgin Trains' 15.11 Wilmslow to London Euston service this afternoon (October 19).

The chancellor, who was travelling in first-class accommodation, held a standard-class ticket. As soon as the train left Wilmslow, an aide went to find the train manager to explain the situation and arrange to pay for an upgrade. It was agreed that the chancellor would remain in first class and an amount of £189.50 was paid by the aide to cover the upgrade for Mr Osborne and his PA.

The situation was dealt with amicably between the train manager and George Osborne's aide. At no time was there a disagreement or a refusal to pay for the upgrade. Nor was there any discussion between the train manager and Mr Osborne."

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
A complete non story!

The Virgin press release: "Rt Hon George Osborne, chancellor, was travelling on Virgin Trains' 15.11 Wilmslow to London Euston service this afternoon (October 19).

The chancellor, who was travelling in first-class accommodation, held a standard-class ticket. As soon as the train left Wilmslow, an aide went to find the train manager to explain the situation and arrange to pay for an upgrade. It was agreed that the chancellor would remain in first class and an amount of £189.50 was paid by the aide to cover the upgrade for Mr Osborne and his PA.

The situation was dealt with amicably between the train manager and George Osborne's aide. At no time was there a disagreement or a refusal to pay for the upgrade. Nor was there any discussion between the train manager and Mr Osborne."

That's one version. Here's another. This is what ITV reporter Rachel Townsend, who was on the train, said:

"George Osborne got on the train with aides at Wilmslow and went straight to first class. Then his aide approached the ticket collector right next to me. He said he is travelling with George and he has a standard ticket but can he remain in first class?

"The guard said no. The aide said Osborne couldn't possibly sit in standard class. The guard replied saying if he wants to stay it's £160.

"The aide said he couldn't pay and he couldn't really sit in standard. The guard refused to budge.

"The guard went on gathering tickets and later told me Osborne had agreed to cough up the £160."

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
That's one version. Here's another. This is what ITV reporter Rachel Townsend, who was on the train, said:

"George Osborne got on the train with aides at Wilmslow and went straight to first class. Then his aide approached the ticket collector right next to me. He said he is travelling with George and he has a standard ticket but can he remain in first class?

"The guard said no. The aide said Osborne couldn't possibly sit in standard class. The guard replied saying if he wants to stay it's £160.

"The aide said he couldn't pay and he couldn't really sit in standard. The guard refused to budge.

"The guard went on gathering tickets and later told me Osborne had agreed to cough up the £160."

Well she got the amount wrong for starters! And ""The aide said he couldn't pay". You really believe that?!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
He didn't refer to them as his 'aide', he called him his lickspittle fag and then ordered them to go and warm up the toilet seat

probably

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Doesn't want to sit with the plebs?
Probably far closer to the mark than the Tory posting brigade would acknowledge.

I agree he should have sat in the correct seating area, however the fact remains that he did try to save money for the taxpayer by not buying a more expensive ticket.

As for the tax issues I am not going to get involved.

I take it the whole Andrew Mitchell 'we're better than you' affair went right over your head.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So why didn't he just buy first class tickets at Wilmslow where he boarded ?

one would assume that the aide would buy the tickets and buggered it up. this is generally the point of an aide/PA (sans buggering it up)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
one would assume that the aide would buy the tickets and buggered it up. this is generally the point of an aide/PA (sans buggering it up)

Not sure but I thought I read somewhere that following the expense scandal, they can only claim back the standard fare so I suspect the aide/PA books tickets at that price. The issue here is not really about the price but more the intimation that he couldn't possibly sit in standard accommodation, ie that it is beneath them.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
He is the Chancellor, maybe he should be allowed to sit in first class.

Indeed, when he received the popular mandate, he gained our approval to act on our behalf and we have to trust him with making the best of the country's finances. It's just a consequence of the fact that a majority of us decided that his party were right to be elected to a position of power.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Indeed, when he received the popular mandate, he gained our approval to act on our behalf and we have to trust him with making the best of the country's finances. It's just a consequence of the fact that a majority of us decided that his party were right to be elected to a position of power.

They didnt get a majority!! :wozza:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Not sure but I thought I read somewhere that following the expense scandal, they can only claim back the standard fare so I suspect the aide/PA books tickets at that price. The issue here is not really about the price but more the intimation that he couldn't possibly sit in standard accommodation, ie that it is beneath them.

The issue is probably more that he is an extremely busy man, and to get a quiet area with a table in first class where he can get on with some work on all our behalfs was a more sensible choice than what was available in standard once on the train.

Not trying to stick up for him (dont particularly like him as think he is a wet behind the ears career politician), just applying same principles as would be for any private sector captain of industry!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here