Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Best

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Imagine him on today's pitches

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Talent or no talent and he definitely was talented. If he was around nowadays and he did what he did he would be a modern day Cherno Samba. Million Pound player at 14 years old but on the scrap heap by 24.

He made a great living out of his talent and even now his family make millions from George Best's talent. I love watching players like Best and I could watch them all day long and be mesmerised - But he valued his good looks more than he valued his footballing talent as a footballer and the Press made more out of him than anyone else did.

I just cant decide what my true thoughts are about him as a footballer but I cant deny he had what most of us blokes all wish we had had.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
he valued his good looks more than he valued his footballing talent as a footballer

He lived for football from a very early age, he loved the game, loved playing the game. It certainly wasn't vanity that destroyed him.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Just finished watching it, very well made film. George was and still is my hero even though United were never my club, always Albion.

I admit to having a little tear in my eye at the end. He was the first that had to deal with that kind of attention; the incredible natural skill, the good looks, the press intrusion. No-one knew how to help him and he won everything at such a young age. He wanted more and was on another level to his team mates who didn't want to press on and win the European Cup again.

I saw his last ever game for United in January 1974 and although I love that fact, it was quite a sad day. My Mum took me to see the game at Loftus Road, bless her. They lost 3-0 and George wasn't interested.

Yes it could have been better but just remember that he played 361 games for United and scored 137 goals. Stuff most people dream of.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
But he valued his good looks more than he valued his footballing talent as a footballer

With all respect, that is utter bollox.

2 League titles, 1 European cup, Charity Shields, FA Youth Cup, European Footballer of the Year, United's leading goalscorer for 6 seasons, 137 goals for United.

But he was more proud of being a looker? **** sake.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He lived for football from a very early age, he loved the game, loved playing the game. It certainly wasn't vanity that destroyed him.

When you have a choice of a glamorous gal chasing after you and the choice of a night of passion and another glass of champagne or going home and getting to bed because you have training the next day, He chose the former, even though Man Utd were paying for that night out and to a certain extent the public eye that made that glamorous gal chase after you in the first place. I would certainly say that ''Vanity'' played a part in his downfall

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When you have a choice of a glamorous gal chasing after you and the choice of a night of passion and another glass of champagne or going home and getting to bed because you have training the next day, He chose the former, even though Man Utd were paying for that night out and to a certain extent the public eye that made that glamorous gal chase after you in the first place. I would certainly say that ''Vanity'' played a part in his downfall

Thats not vanity though, its just unprofessional. He was a flawed genius, but it wasn't because he was constantly stood there in front of a mirror. To say that vanity in his good looks was what done for him is bobbins. He was a shy man at heart, and drinking was what gave him confidence. Just like Gascoigne 20 years later, he was hounded incessantly by the media because of his genius on the pitch, and his all-too openly apparent flaws off it. He simply could not control his drinking. It destroyed his career, and it eventually took his life. Selfish and unprofessional for sure. Vain ? I don't see that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's exactly what I found, and I watched both a lot.

They were completely different types of players though. Greaves was the ultimate instinctive goal-poacher, Best was an all-round magician on the ball. One was a finisher, the other a creator. Both were phenomenal players in their own right, but you're comparing apples with oranges. Best couldn't do what Greaves did, and vice-versa.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Always makes me smile.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Thats not vanity though, its just unprofessional. He was a flawed genius, but it wasn't because he was constantly stood there in front of a mirror. To say that vanity in his good looks was what done for him is bobbins. He was a shy man at heart, and drinking was what gave him confidence. Just like Gascoigne 20 years later, he was hounded incessantly by the media because of his genius on the pitch, and his all-too openly apparent flaws off it. He simply could not control his drinking. It destroyed his career, and it eventually took his life. Selfish and unprofessional for sure. Vain ? I don't see that.

His genius should only ever be judged on the field of play, where he was unsurpassed. Quite simply, the most talented British footballer of all time. If you watched him in the flesh, as I did, you would gasp at his ability. He would be priceless today.
Who are we to judge him off the field and call him a flawed genius. We all have flaws. George gave more to football than most and the memories don't just linger, they burn and sear through you. Just a mention of his name and I smile. Used as a benchmark, very few have even come close. He is right up there in the rarified air of great footballers. Less than ten in history and he is one of them.
When my son was growing up and getting into football, I said to him that if he wanted to watch the complete player, he should study George Best. If he wanted to see how football should be played with freedom, with joy and with fearlessness, then Bestie was yer man.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Whenever I saw him he was second best to Jimmy Greaves.

I saw both of them a lot and although it is difficult to compare two totally different types of player, I have to favour Best over Greaves.
Greaves was a superb natural and clinical goalscorer. Quick feet. A supreme opportunist, who would pop the ball in the net, before you realised he had scored. Jimmy would drift in and out of games and would be criticised for lack of effort at times. That wasn't his game, chasing back or fetching the ball. He was the point at the end of the sword. Haynes or White would provide the thrust. Greaves would administer the finish. Few goalscorers in history were as consistent as Jimmy. He was born to do it. A cheeky chappie out of Dagenham, sharp as a razor and he played like it. Two good feet but weak in the air. Superb close control and good balance. Very quick over the first 10-15 yards, he could leave defenders for dead.
Could Jimmy win a game off his own back? Well he could outscore you, providing he got the service and then he was deadly. That was Jimmy's game. He didn't go looking for the ball. It had to come to him.
George Best was two footed, good in the air, superbly balanced and one of the bravest players I have ever seen. He was quite fearless. He played in an era of hard men, looked them all in the eye and took everything they could throw at him. Greaves was a superb goalscorer but Best was a complete player. He could play anywhere on the pitch. He wouldn't just beat teams off his own back, he would demoralise them. He would run them ragged until they didn't know their backsides from their elbows. George would go looking for the ball and then create mayhem. Both players were cheeky but George played with a joy and a freedom that was unbounded. He was, quite simply, a genius and the most exciting player I have ever seen.
Imagine combining the best of Man Utd and Tottenham in that era. Best, Law, Greaves, Charlton, Jones, White, Blanchflower, Crerand and Mackay. Oh boy. What a prospect to see Best and Greaves play together.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Still the only person to take my breath away at a game of football. Saw him live 3 times and he was just incredible to watch. To be at pitch level seeing him, you could believe how damn quick he was, so Ronaldinho, Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona, Crumplin, eat your heart out, you could not even lace his boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I was lucky enough to see him in the mid to late 60s playing for Man Utd at Chelsea and the guy was absolutely the most gifted player I'd ever seen.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Without doubt best player ever saw . Two footed, good in air and good tackler. Could have played anywhere. If he wasnt seeing ball would go in own half get the ball and make something happen. Never seen any player that could go passed defenders like he did including Messi. Cannot judge him on his last 3 seasons which where sad to watch

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
The best player i have seen in my generation without a doubt . Wish i was a tad older to have really appreciated his skill. Saw him once live and was Star struck by his presence .
My biggest honour was actually having the fortune to play a game on the same pitch as him . He turned out for one of the big City Brokers at a game in the mid 80's at QPR's plastic pitch ,having been paid handsomely for it .
Totally unfit and a shadow of the former man , but once on the ball you could see his magic ,beating albeit very lesser players with ease , by a slight drop of the shoulder or change of foot .
Classic for me was when on the ball bearing down on goal , some guy screaming at him wide right to pass to him as he was dribbling past the defence . He stopped to gesture to the guy to f*** off and the proceeded to beat the same defender again before slotting the ball in the corner .

My lasting memory of him !

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
To his dying day, he regretted not being able to dribble the ball up to the goal line, sit on it and ' arse ' it over the line v Benfica, in the European Cup Final. The goalie recovered too quickly and George had to make sure of the goal. Would have made the greatest press photo of all time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here