Geoff Sidebottom

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I believe it was a FA Cup tie v Walsall, who were are bogey side at the time. As the Walsall forward broke through, Geoff threw himself at his feet, clutching the ball and taking the kick on his head.

No 'elf & safety back then, geoff got up and cleared the ball and, as the Albion attecked the south goal Geoff, alone in the north penalty area, collapsed and lay prone and motionless on his back. The crowd whilstled and screamed as play went on up the other end and would only stop when the ball went out.

After prolonged treatment, he carried on for a few minutes before going down again and having to go off. Eddie Spearritt took over in goal. Walsall tried harder to score but the game finished 1-1 and went on to be a saga of 4 games (no pen shoot outs)

Geoff did make a comeback or two but was never right especially after a later incident where he headed a post. Very brave.
Sadly he died a few years back. Only a short career with Albion but remembered by all who saw him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember him collapsing in the goalmouth during a game at the Goldstone.
Good keeper in his day.

That really was incredible looking back. I think it was against Walsall although I stand to be corrected. He had sustained a head injury in a collision and I think had received treatment but when the game resumed he just collapsed into a unconscious heap in the 6 yard box. Play continued in those days however serious the injury was and the opposition just kept pumping the ball into the box and we couldn't get it off the pitch for what seemed an eternity. I think Eddie Spearitt went in goal for the rest of the game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I believe it was a FA Cup tie v Walsall, who were are bogey side at the time. As the Walsall forward broke through, Geoff threw himself at his feet, clutching the ball and taking the kick on his head.

No 'elf & safety back then, geoff got up and cleared the ball and, as the Albion attecked the south goal Geoff, alone in the north penalty area, collapsed and lay prone and motionless on his back. The crowd whilstled and screamed as play went on up the other end and would only stop when the ball went out.

After prolonged treatment, he carried on for a few minutes before going down again and having to go off. Eddie Spearritt took over in goal. Walsall tried harder to score but the game finished 1-1 and went on to be a saga of 4 games (no pen shoot outs)

Geoff did make a comeback or two but was never right especially after a later incident where he headed a post. Very brave.
Sadly he died a few years back. Only a short career with Albion but remembered by all who saw him.

Having taken a fairly hefty kick to the side of the head, going for a ball at someone's feet in my game on Monday night, this tale has sent a proper shiver down my spine.

There was me, feeling sorry for myself for the painful, but frankly insignificant cauliflower ear, I'm still sporting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports