Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gentleman players

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
I was watching a tape of the 1991 FA Cup replay against Liverpool the other day, and one incident reminded me of why, apart from his goals and elegant skills, I liked John Byrne as a player so much. He was brought down by Gary Ablett as he turned past him, but still tried to talk the ref out of booking Ablett. A world away from the snarling antics of the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo.

"Sir" Les Ferdinand was another in the same mould - tough and competitve, but always sporting towards his opponents. Maybe it was a QPR thing?

Pele and Eusebio are others who spring to mind. Who would you nominate?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
More or less all players from the mid seventies back to the birth of league football, (ooh and Rooney and Ronaldo, and all in the Spanish Liga).

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
Gianfranco Zola when he played for Chelsea, never made a meal out of it always got straight back up when fouled. A credit to the game and a true role model for kids

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Shearer and Linneker were both OK too.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
Gianfranco Zola when he played for Chelsea, never made a meal out of it always got straight back up when fouled. A credit to the game and a true role model for kids

He gets my vote too. I saw him play at Oakwell when Barnsley got thrashed 6 nil back in the 97/98 season. He was so respectful of other people, fans included. He always turned to help a player up & did not backchat. The nicest thing I saw him do was to replace a divot during play. He didn't have to, but made the effort.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Shearer and Linneker were both OK too.

Sorry to disagree with you Phil, but Shearer was probably the biggest whinger I can remember in the game, always complaining to the ref about something or other...can't imagine he ever tried to stop an opponent being booked.

I would include the likes of Michael Owen, who in my opinion is a model professional, often fouled but just gets up and on with the game...maybe even Robbie Fowler for the non-penalty incident.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Whats about Di Canio?

I know he didnt ALWAYS play fair but im pretty sure he won an award for catching the ball when the everton goalie was lying on the floor injured when Di Canio could have easily put it in the net to win the game!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This guy.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/article.html?Romania_star_refuses_to_pay_the_penalty&in_article_id=607145&in_page_id=46

We can't see too many Premier League stars trying this any time soon but Rapid Bucharest midfielder Costin Lazar refused to take a penalty after insisting he had been fairly tackled in the penalty area.
During his side's 4-0 win Lazar took a tumble in the box and the referee awarded a penalty. But he refused to step up to the spot before convincing the referee to change his mind about the decision.

'I do not need a prize for this,' said Lazar. 'We do not like being helped out and this is how I felt I should react.'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This guy.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/article.html?Romania_star_refuses_to_pay_the_penalty&in_article_id=607145&in_page_id=46

We can't see too many Premier League stars trying this any time soon but Rapid Bucharest midfielder Costin Lazar refused to take a penalty after insisting he had been fairly tackled in the penalty area.
During his side's 4-0 win Lazar took a tumble in the box and the referee awarded a penalty. But he refused to step up to the spot before convincing the referee to change his mind about the decision.

'I do not need a prize for this,' said Lazar. 'We do not like being helped out and this is how I felt I should react.'

I can think of a few refs who would have booked him for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here