Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Genres of music that just don’t do it for you

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Double drop, add some flashing lights, wait 15 minutes and this'll be the best thing you've ever heard in your life!

https://youtu.be/O1NKdxjR3dY

I’m more of a hash fan, or I was many years ago. Never popped the drugs of choice of the eighties and nineties, maybe that’s why It leaves me cold :shrug:

No actually it doesn’t leave me cold it fecking annoys me, just noisy repetitive shit :lolol:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I like to think I’ve a rather eclectic taste in music, I’m just as happy listening to Elton John or Iron Maiden as I am nodding along to a bit of Tribe Called Quest or Foreigner. But, happy hardcore? No, nope, absolutely not.

Ha. I love dance music, in it's many forms, and hardcore was my gateway drug (hope no one quotes that out of context) but yeah, Happy Hardcore. Jesus. I remember thinking maybe dance music wasn't really for me when that started proliferating. Soon found other sounds I liked though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Kind of Blue is brilliant. A jazz album to convince people who don't like jazz how good it can be

Kind of Blue is coming up soon. Quite enjoying Birth of the Cool.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Country and folk are two that I struggle with. I'm open to any kind of music but they mostly leave me cold.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
If we're talking Mr Davis.....stunning film, stunning soundtrack

51nzWvVC3bL._AC_.jpg

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Ha. I love dance music, in it's many forms, and hardcore was my gateway drug (hope no one quotes that out of context) but yeah, Happy Hardcore. Jesus. I remember thinking maybe dance music wasn't really for me when that started proliferating. Soon found other sounds I liked though.

I’m not sure if I’ve always disliked it, or whether it’s just the fact my neighbour plays it quite loudly in his garden whilst he’s Barbecuing. The music is so bad his wife and kids scurry indoors and he stands over his BBQ nodding along whilst sipping tins of Budweiser.
For the record, he’s a nice bloke, just a dodgy choice in music and football teams.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very hard to pick on anyone genre. My mind was closed between age 12 and 21, but after that, if I liked it, I was 'avin' it.

OK, using the 'voting with their feet' principle, my record collection is deficient in country music. The closest I get is one album by Manassass, a CSNY, a few Neil Young, Elvis Costello's Almost Blue, and Tammy Wynette (produced by the KLF). I don't hate it - I'm just left cold by it.

Edit - yes, folk (just read a post above), So not in my collection I'd forgotten it existed. And yet, Martin Carthy (Prince Heathen is brutal), Richard and Linda Thompson....mmm...just as long as they don't sing with one fffffinger in their ear.

However, pop-punk....Green Day, Blink-182, Sum 41, Weezer, plus lots of names I've never heard before, the modern New Musical Express of the noughties, live at the Brixton Academy, I found very easy to put on ignore.

Great programme about Dusty on the box yesterday.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Having had a flick through it, I would say I'm most looking forward to the late 70s, where there is a whole load of stuff I've always been meaning to get round to/stuff I already know I love.

Here's a link to my list rating/reviewing each album - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/jazzmann/1001-albums/

Good that, thanks.
How you listening to the albums, do you go through every track , or flicking through? Sit down through the whole duration or put one on whilst working?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
There's usually something I can find in most genres, except maybe jazz funk. Generally I tend to ignore stuff that's trying too hard to be cool, you know the sort of thing, HWT spams most music threads with it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good that, thanks.
How you listening to the albums, do you go through every track , or flicking through? Sit down through the whole duration or put one on whilst working?

A bit of every which way. I make sure to listen to each album at least 2-3 times through. Doing 5 albums a week. It's tricky, because some albums can take weeks to really grab you, however I'm seeing this as more of a forced education on the history of modern music, and with 1,001 albums to plough through, it's going to take me 3-4 years as it is!

I take long walks daily at the moment (part of a fitness push) and often listen to music then, so I can really focus on them without distraction. Then repeat listens I will have on as background during working, driving etc.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I don't think I'd really rule out any particular genre- a lot of the dance sub-genres are pretty alien to me and I struggle to connect to it

Folk- I appreciate it but for two years I went out with a (now quite well known) folk musician and it's completely put me off it

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
A bit of every which way. I make sure to listen to each album at least 2-3 times through. Doing 5 albums a week. It's tricky, because some albums can take weeks to really grab you, however I'm seeing this as more of a forced education on the history of modern music, and with 1,001 albums to plough through, it's going to take me 3-4 years as it is!

I take long walks daily at the moment (part of a fitness push) and often listen to music then, so I can really focus on them without distraction.

:thumbsup: will have a look at it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With you for the most part on both counts. I could never get excited about things like the BeeGees and Saturday Night Fever. And I know Nile Rodgers is supposed to be a legend and is uber cool, but I saw some tribute to him recently where, when I realised some of the stuff he had done in the past (i.e. Chic), I wondered what all the fuss was about.

I am with you re Nile Rodgers. He is treated like some musical genius who sits in his own particular genre, where in truth, he and his mates just cobbled together a mixture of jazz and funk, copied a fair bit of Roxy Music and struck lucky. ' Chic ' was an ' in ' word at the time and people still drool as soon as they hear the name.
Not for me, I'm afraid.

Absolutely off my radar during my uber snob years, but I have several CDs of Roger's ouvre in my collection now. Very nice.

Back when I listened to music radio (which I stopped doing in the late 90s) I found that the hype around certain artists made them difficult for me to like, but I have gone back to many of the more commercial artists and, treating them as anonymous generators of sound and mood rather than the gossip column fodder they became, have found many to be compelling. I have, in my time, got pelters from nearest and dearest for liking Madonna, Keane, Depeche Mode, late 90s trance, Journey, Def Leppard (and other 80s arena rock), Sisters of Mercy and (in recent times) the joys of witch house and trap, none of which (Depech Mode and late 90s trance excepted) did I take any interest in at the time.

Thing about genres is they are a blunt tool for classification and best ignored.

A mate of mine takes it far too far in my view, though. His go-to music is hair metal of the late 80s. But he'll buy pretty much anything. I was in Tower Records in New York with him about 15 years ago, and I was drooling over the likes of Mission of Burma and Romeo Void and there he was buying a ****ing Cliff Richard CD :facepalm:.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I take long walks daily at the moment (part of a fitness push) and often listen to music then, so I can really focus on them without distraction. Then repeat listens I will have on as background during working, driving etc.

This is very true, the albums that stick for decades are ones that don’t grab you until a few listenings. In fairness as a young man I would buy an album and play it incessantly, so some of the stuff I don’t like today I would probably like more if I listened more than the once on which I seem to make decisions. Whilst my kids were growing up they'd play albums I didn’t like but as they were played daily I often got to like a few. Nirvana Never mind is one that springs to mind.

So much music easily available now that it is too easy to pass after flicking through and probably miss some that would have grown on memories

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I grew up first listening to my parents' rock & roll, jazz and easy listening records, then liking two tone, punk and new wave, took a teen diversion into metal and on to C86 indie pop. That took me back to its sixties inspiration and into Dylan and on to the singer songwriters. Listening to Peel & Kershaw at that time I picked up a bit of world, reggae & garage rock. At the same time, I loved a lot of soul and blues records and, under the influence of someone I was DJ'ing with, this stretched into disco, funk and hip-hop. I had always annoyed teenage friends by sticking Hank Williams on the pub jukebox. They thought I was winding them up, but I think it was the early influence of my Dad's Johnny Cash records. This has grown into a love of country music, although I don't have a lot of time for modern chart pop wearing a cowboy hat. After last year's BBC4 documentary series, I've started buying a bit of Latin music, but the Fania stuff looks a bit pricey.

Given the way I've obsessed over popular music from the last hundred years, I've always been a bit worried about the trouble I would be in if I started messing around with the multiple centuries of classical music, but the recent dirt cheap prices of cds have also tempted me into a bit of that. I'm being picky at present, I prefer the later, more minimalist stuff, but there is bound to be a falling off the cliff moment coming (like the one when I admitted to myself that I liked George Jones' version of 'A Good Year For The Roses' more than Costello's. - 'So you like proper country music now do you? rhinestones, hats, the works?' 'Okay, Yes I do! I'm that person now.')

So far, the only thing I can think of that I can't get much out of is opera. Obviously there's Nessun Dorma and the memories of Italia 90, but although I own a bit of Puccini and a Caruso album, it doesn't have the same emotional effect without footage of Platty's goal against Belgium.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I’m not sure if I’ve always disliked it, or whether it’s just the fact my neighbour plays it quite loudly in his garden whilst he’s Barbecuing. The music is so bad his wife and kids scurry indoors and he stands over his BBQ nodding along whilst sipping tins of Budweiser.
For the record, he’s a nice bloke, just a dodgy choice in music and football teams.

Barbecuing to happy hardcore?? :rolleyes::lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here