[Travel] Geneva

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
1. Get on a plane to London
2. Eat at Sushi Tetsu or Kitchen Table (or, given it’s you, Bubbledogs again)

Job done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where are you in Switzerland? I spent several months working in Interlaken a few years back. If it’s there I could possibly help.

Not sure I’d describe my experiences of the place as dull.

I will be in Geneva, apologies if the thread title and opening post was ambiguous.

They said I have been to Interlaken. It’s very scenic. I learnt to snowboard up the hill in Wengen. Been back a number of times and to Murren and Grindelwald as well. Switzerland can be incredibly beautiful e.g. Lausanne, Montreux and the mountains and lakes. I just find it exceedingly dull. And this is from someone who has been to Frankfurt.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I will be in Geneva, apologies if the thread title and opening post was ambiguous.

They said I have been to Interlaken. It’s very scenic. I learnt to snowboard up the hill in Wengen. Been back a number of times and to Murren and Grindelwald as well. Switzerland can be incredibly beautiful e.g. Lausanne, Montreux and the mountains and lakes. I just find it exceedingly dull. And this is from someone who has been to Frankfurt.

The sense of order can have an upside. We once stayed in our daughter's ground floor flat in the centre of Lausanne, behind the cathedral. The first night was the Swiss National Day or some such. Thousands of people everywhere. I woke very early, as you do, and went out for a walk in the deserted and gloomy streets, before the cleaners came. I spotted something on the ground, 100m away. I went to see what it was. It was a frankfurter wrapper, the only piece of litter in the whole darn place.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My Uncle and Aunt lived just outside Geneva for a couple of decades. They lived in a semi-detached old farm house, about a mile from the next nearest neighbours. They threw a party to celebrate their silver wedding anniversary and, of course, invited their neighbours (as well as me). The neighbours left the party at 23:55. At 00:15, the police arrived saying that they had been called by the neighbours complaining about noise after midnight from their neighbours. Nice.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I love Geneva, I want to move there if I can find someone to employ me. I must be a boring old **** then :whistle: :lol: I met my wife in Geneva. Expensive burgers indeed. Last time we were there we didn't get much change from 50chufs for 2 burgers, chips and beers. Holy Cow, aptly named when the bill comes out is good. Brasserie du Molard maybe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Trip cancelled so I won’t be staying in Geneva. Every cloud eh?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The alps aside, Switzerland is one of the dullest places there is. And shortly, I am going to be stuck there for one evening. I will need to eat, and drink, and probably drink some more to relieve the tedium of my stop over. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for me? As your probably know, I like beer, I am getting into wine, and am happy to eat from burgers (gourmet of course) to fine dining. As you also probably know, I’m very fair and open minded, so I’m happy to have my prejudices challenged.

PS I have tried the internet machine but nothing interesting arose; I have had a couple of very good tips from here before.

Their flag is a big plus, though.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’m very jealous of people that live in Geneva , it’s constantly in the top 10 cities in the world for quality of life . For comparison London is never in the top 10.

Clean, very safe for a city , world famous opera house , lots of culture & pretty restaurants & obviously the alps .

What is less known is their very generous employment laws . If you have been working for a year in your job & you get made redundant, the govt will pay 80% of your salary for up to 2 years whilst you look for another job !

That law was in effect prior to COVID by the way !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here