Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is it a good idea to hold the election the day after a quarter final of a major international tournament featuring England ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If it is July 4 I'll be flying back from The Netherlands for a work trip and will be home at approx 7pm. Might have to hedge against flight delays with a postal vote.

I assume that the Tories have picked July as students will be at home and not in their University constituency :rolleyes:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
If it is July 4 I'll be flying back from The Netherlands for a work trip and will be home at approx 7pm. Might have to hedge against flight delays with a postal vote.

I assume that the Tories have picked July as students will be at home and not in their University constituency :rolleyes:
And 1st week of Scottish school holidays

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

University students can be registered at home or University constituency, but can only vote once.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
University students can be registered at home or University constituency, but can only vote once.
If anything it's probably a bad decision as instead of piling up anti-Tory votes in a few seats they're going to spread it out among the wider community

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Cabinet meeting now.

Downing Street announcement at 6.00 o’clock

It’s going to be about lanyards, isn’t it.
Can you imagine Sunak at the cabinet meeting...… "right chaps, just wanted to let you know that you will all be out of a job in a couple of months time. As a parting gift you can choose from 1. an MBE 2. A multi million pound government contract for you or anyone in your family or 3. Anyone who wants to remain an MP can draw lots for one of the two constituencies we expect to retain at the GE"

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Apparently a number of venues used for election counts have received block bookings for Government for 4th / 5th July. It's on.

I hereby call the "Scorn on the 4th of July" headline right now.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
How would that help them considering they benefit from voting in person
Traditionally, low turnout has a disproportionate affect on Labour votes – as Labour’s voters tended to be younger and more working class than the that of the Conservatives. Both these groups were, traditionally, less likely to vote. However, this is potentially less and less the case in an era of partisan dealignment.

The Conservatives have still shown themselves to be concerned that high turnout benefits their rivals in recent elections but class-based political allegiances have shifted. A Conservative vote is no longer so readily associated with affluence – indeed one poll at the start of the campaign predicted that the Conservatives were winning more support from the working class than the upper class.
So may not be too applicable now but I'm sure the Tories will try to take any possible advantage given their position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here