Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 Official Thread

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
From what I understand the ni changes will mean people have an extra £45 a month - if that is all then I don’t think people will even see it as a tax cut?

I bet if you took “£45 xtra” a month then there would be more than a few pissed off 🤦‍♂️
It's not even £45 a month - it's £450 a year on the average salary, so £37.50.

The energy price cap rise is expected to increase annual bills by £94 - so that takes up £7.80 a month of the 'increase'.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Absolutely, I think Sunak has to hold the general election before the local elections.

If results are bad in the local elections, Sunak will certainly be challenged for the leadership by one of the far right frothers currently infesting the Conservative Party, so I don’t think he can afford to wait.
Excellent point!

Backbench Tories might just decide to challenge him for his leadership before that though if he does decide an early election would be more politically prudent for him but they prefer to wait until the tax benefits are felt.

A very mild winter will also make a difference - it will ‘disguise’ the rise in fuel bills but if we get a very cold winter, calling an election in January when the Country is up to its neck in fuel bills might not be so wise!

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It’s really good
Worthing has been for many years like a pocket borough but now Labour have the council who knows.
well, lucky lucky us…. Lucky lucky.. laaaark cluck cluck cluck, laaaark… cluck cluck cluck…

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s really good

well, lucky lucky us…. Lucky lucky.. laaaark cluck cluck cluck, laaaark… cluck cluck cluck…
I would like this post but …….no sorry not following.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
From what I understand the ni changes will mean people have an extra £45 a month - if that is all then I don’t think people will even see it as a tax cut?
Depends what you monthly income is - even that amount will make a difference to low income workers- but yes, a bit of pissing in the wind for most people - I pay class 3 so will benefit I think.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Excellent point!

Backbench Tories might just decide to challenge him for his leadership before that though if he does decide an early election would be more politically prudent for him but they prefer to wait until the tax benefits are felt.

A very mild winter will also make a difference - it will ‘disguise’ the rise in fuel bills but if we get a very cold winter, calling an election in January when the Country is up to its neck in fuel bills might not be so wise!
We're likely to get a cold spell of weather from this weekend into and possibly beyond next week. Nothing exceptional, but 5 to 6c by day and frosts at night, plus N or E winds. More than enough to require constant heating, if you can afford it.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I think I'd prefer a benign dictatorship.
Excellent. I volunteer.

First action. 15 point deduction on Palace. For the lols.

Second action. Tax breaks for live music venues.

Third action. Rhino emblem to be incorporated into the Union Flag.

When do I start?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
More importantly, what snacks are you getting in for the overnight TV marathon? Snacks ... Pringles are a must.

Plus which TV channel/s with you watch? I find ITN with Ben Bradley is surprising good, with occasional visits to the BBC for their graphics and modern day swingometer board.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
We're likely to get a cold spell of weather from this weekend into and possibly beyond next week. Nothing exceptional, but 5 to 6c by day and frosts at night, plus N or E winds. More than enough to require constant heating, if you can afford it.
That would be nice if I could afford to use the heating constantly but better insulation, (like the guy coming round shortly to sort out the large gap under my front door when he installed it ) and more clothes usually works for me.

Tbh - Most people I know on low (and some middle incomes) use their heating as little as they can and are used to economising - even if I could afford to put the heating on all the time, I wouldn’t for environmental reasons - the average daily in my home was 12 degrees last winter because of rising fuel costs and it was impactful on my health - but there are other ways to keep warm than running the central heating all day.

Have we become soft? - I grew up in a house where we were told to wear bed hats and extra layers to keep warm - my student days were in an attic bedsit where there was frost on the bed in the morning 😂
More importantly, what snacks are you getting in for the overnight TV marathon? Snacks ... Pringles are a must.

Plus which TV channel/s with you watch? I find ITN with Ben Bradley is surprising good, with occasional visits to the BBC for their graphics and modern day swingometer board.
Diet cokes for me (can’t drink because of liver and kidney damage from Covid) but plenty of pringly things/cheddars/crips and I will make sure there will be a few bacon sandwiches as the first counts start coming in!

Before that, the ex-mayor no doubt will be dragging me out to do doorstep leafleting and telephone canvassing for the Labour Party (which hopefully will be met with a better reception by the public than when I did it in 2019 😕

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here