Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
To be fair, if recent and active members of political parties now can't be bothered to vote why on earth would younger people? They've seen their education priced beyond their means, they have **** all hope of affording to buy a house, job options consist of minimum wage service or retail wrk and very shortly the one last option available, free and unfettered movement and employment abroad, will be slammed shut in their faces with a useless passport. You might suggest these are the very reasons they should vote. Equally I'll say I can fully understand why they will stay in bed.

Good point why are there so many minimum wage jobs here, because of the surplus of workers available from other countries. Its an unfair playing field for our children started by Blair allowing the mass immigration that he did. Don't hang that on the current government the catalyst to this were Blair and Brown.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
To be fair, if recent and active members of political parties now can't be bothered to vote why on earth would younger people? They've seen their education priced beyond their means, they have **** all hope of affording to buy a house, job options consist of minimum wage service or retail wrk and very shortly the one last option available, free and unfettered movement and employment abroad, will be slammed shut in their faces with a useless passport. You might suggest these are the very reasons they should vote. Equally I'll say I can fully understand why they will stay in bed.

Yet university intake increases year on year plus more from poorer backgrounds.

Yes, supply and demand. Rapidly increasing population (partly caused by?) with a limited housing stock.

Job options are many and varied and you already know the outcome of the Brexit negotiations then. Many travel all over the world to broaden their education/horizons with that useless passport

Usual accurate inciteful post HT. :thumbsup:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

You live in some parallel universe, I have a diverse group of friends that have children that are now young adults, some have gone on to university but most have found careers, apprenticeships and jobs that seem quite exciting all with some great opportunities, not all wonderfully paid (a few are ) but nor were we at 20 years old.

We mostly live in modest houses, some of us have taken on a little bit of debt some not and we have had a few bumpy rides through business and careers and life in general, but we live happy fulfilling lives, not quite as you see it.

You seem to wallow in a swamp of pessimism, mostly pointing towards the UK whilst saying it, so please leave it out as we are in good nick over here thank you very much.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good point why are there so many minimum wage jobs here, because of the surplus of workers available from other countries. Its an unfair playing field for our children started by Blair allowing the mass immigration that he did. Don't hang that on the current government the catalyst to this were Blair and Brown.

Too simplistic. Part of the reason is the UK economy is heavily reliant on retail and services which are predominantly low paid jobs. Remember when that 4 day bank holiday weekend spending kept the Uk out of recession? Consumer spending, and the low paid jobs which go with it, shouldn't have such a strangle on the uk economy. Do you really think with less supply all these High Street jobs will magic into 30k a year careers?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
She can't even eat a chip in public so how the hell will she be able to debate with anyone ?

She wouldn't and she can't and being shown up by Jeremy Corbyn, Angus Robertson and Caroline Lucas etc might result in people, including young people who aren't going to vote, thinking she's inept and voting the wrong way, when we what we need is strong and stable leadership, strong and stable leadership, strong and stable leadership, strong and stable leadership, strong and stable leadership................................................

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You live in some parallel universe, I have a diverse group of friends that have children that are now young adults, some have gone on to university but most have found careers, apprenticeships and jobs that seem quite exciting all with some great opportunities, not all wonderfully paid (a few are ) but nor were we at 20 years old.

We mostly live in modest houses, some of us have taken on a little bit of debt some not and we have had a few bumpy rides through business and careers and life in general, but we live happy fulfilling lives, not quite as you see it.

You seem to wallow in a swamp of pessimism, mostly pointing towards the UK whilst saying it, so please leave it out as we are in good nick over here thank you very much.

I would suggest you live in a parallel universe,or have your head in the sand. Most youngsters I know are really finding it tough, very tough. I have a friend who's son is looking at 40-50k for his degree course. 50k! I also know people who earn above the average wage and cannot afford to buy places even on the fringes of Brighton. There's been real life stories on this site about people having decent jobs but having to move long distances to be able to afford property beyond a shoe box.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Which is why there should be TV debates held with all leaders including May, available on various platforms that would help engage with young people and bring more of them out to vote.
And in what way, particularly, do you think any of our current political leaders are likely to appeal to the young voters who currently do not vote?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I would suggest you live in a parallel universe,or have your head in the sand. Most youngsters I know are really finding it tough, very tough. I have a friend who's son is looking at 40-50k for his degree course. 50k! I also know people who earn above the average wage and cannot afford to buy places even on the fringes of Brighton. There's been real life stories on this site about people having decent jobs but having to move long distances to be able to afford property beyond a shoe box.

How about stopping people buying more than one property?

There is no shortage of property, problem is great swathes of it are owned by landlords who are making fortunes out of kids who have no chance of getting on the ladder.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
...........................the one last option available, free and unfettered movement and employment abroad, will be slammed shut in their faces with a useless passport.
"Dear sir, I would like to have a job in your country but applying for a visa is soooooo difficult and I really can't be arsed to try filling in the forms anyway" - yes, for some young people the door will indeed be slammed in their faces - but for the more motivated young people - like the ones that already go abroad and get jobs outside of the EU nothing will change, other than possibly the need to fill in a form for a visa/work permit to work in the EU the same as working outside the EU now.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Too simplistic. Part of the reason is the UK economy is heavily reliant on retail and services which are predominantly low paid jobs. Remember when that 4 day bank holiday weekend spending kept the Uk out of recession? Consumer spending, and the low paid jobs which go with it, shouldn't have such a strangle on the uk economy. Do you really think with less supply all these High Street jobs will magic into 30k a year careers?

Not really its a huge contributory factor that should not be ignored, I have seven daughters all in work, some live away and one still at home, ones a mother and the others work for themselves, the NHS, in the city. All recognise the need to buy a home and that they have to start at the bottom, like we did, and move onfrom there.

So are you advocating we should compete with china and India on price to return to a manufacturing nation, thus reducing pay rates or should we be creating new jobs in the service sector/computer industry that would set us well for the future. You display backward Corbyn/Abbott like thinking that would take us back to the 80s, forget manufacturing thats gone, its where you make the least money and you are the behest of the merchants and middle men.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm curious to see whether anyone here has done one of the many extensive online "tests/Surveys" to see which party they most relate to based on questions around policies?

Always interesting to see whether the party you "think" you agree with actually come out on top when you answer questions about your stance on each policy area.

I've done two which take about 20 mins each. I will do more once manifestos are announced. Apparently I agree with Lib Dems the most overall which surprised me. Thankfully BNP were last :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Dear sir, I would like to have a job in your country but applying for a visa is soooooo difficult and I really can't be arsed to try filling in the forms anyway" - yes, for some young people the door will indeed be slammed in their faces - but for the more motivated young people - like the ones that already go abroad and get jobs outside of the EU nothing will change, other than possibly the need to fill in a form for a visa/work permit to work in the EU the same as working outside the EU now.

I have discussed this numerous times before with quotes from business, start-up owners and cafe owners I personally know. I can't be bothered again and I'm sure no one wants to hear me or ou repeat ourselves. You've chosen your side. I've chosen mine. I am confident, very confident, the EU will get a very good deal for themselves, and me. I hope you feel the same about the UK when it's all done. I don't think there's anything more to discuss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not really its a huge contributory factor that should not be ignored, I have seven daughters all in work, some live away and one still at home, ones a mother and the others work for themselves, the NHS, in the city. All recognise the need to buy a home and that they have to start at the bottom, like we did, and move onfrom there.

So are you advocating we should compete with china and India on price to return to a manufacturing nation, thus reducing pay rates or should we be creating new jobs in the service sector/computer industry that would set us well for the future. You display backward Corbyn/Abbott like thinking that would take us back to the 80s, forget manufacturing thats gone, its where you make the least money and you are the behest of the merchants and middle men.

Not at all. Just manufacture things people want and need...like other European nations do. China doesn't make everything. Germany-makes all sorts, Italy-car parts, Finland-ships. Why was Germany manufacturing the steel cables which hold up the QE2 stadium? Perfect opportunity for a Brit company there. Why does the EU make 40% of the JCB? You tell me.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm curious to see whether anyone here has done one of the many extensive online "tests/Surveys" to see which party they most relate to based on questions around policies?

Always interesting to see whether the party you "think" you agree with actually come out on top when you answer questions about your stance on each policy area.

I've done two which take about 20 mins each. I will do more once manifestos are announced. Apparently I agree with Lib Dems the most overall which surprised me. Thankfully BNP were last :lolol:

Careful. That's the one where the Green's policies usually come out on top.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

So what is his course and why has he chosen to accrue a bill of £50 000, what exactly does that represent, my son graduated with a frustrating for sure but sustainable £9 000 debt which is only paid back a % whilst earning over a £21000 threshold or something like that.

When exactly did your friend and his son become totally unaccountable for their decision on his preferred degree and subsequent costs, if indeed it is unaffordable ??

I agree it is difficult to get on the housing ladder, if as a Brit that is the desired pathway as you know it is not always the inevitable way Germans see it, but renting and buying is difficult.

However I have to say it has always been difficult, but I am convinced the market will rectify the difficulties, either on the property price side or the lending side, I bought my house many years ago on a self cert mortgage, the mortgage companies are always cited on how they should be overly cautious but I suspect they enjoy vast profits from mortgages, not sub prime stuff but it will work out and Labour has always cited the property market as some evil spirit.

I suspect with some effort and sacrifices that someone on £30 000+ could accumulate a deposit and a mortgage to buy themselves somewhere, not easy, lots of hard work but do-able I know a few that have done it.

By the way unless you are talking about London then where and why would anyone need to move long distances to find relatively affordable housing, Sussex towns generally seem to have decent stock of expensive and less expensive property in every town.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So what is his course and why has he chosen to accrue a bill of £50 000, what exactly does that represent, my son graduated with a frustrating for sure but sustainable £9 000 debt which is only paid back a % whilst earning over a £21000 threshold or something like that.

When exactly did your friend and his son become totally unaccountable for their decision on his preferred degree and subsequent costs, if indeed it is unaffordable ??.

I'm not sure of the course but it's 4 years times just over 9k per annum in fees alone. That's 37k just on fees for the undergraduate bit. I have no idea of your background but to certain sections of society accumulating that level of debt is off putting. I obtained a reasonable education and it was free. Had I been staring at a debt of 37k at 16 years of age I might have reconsidered. After all, we are told debt is bad.....

I'm no idea what your point about being unaccountable is.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

When exactly did your friend and his son become totally unaccountable for their decision on his preferred degree and subsequent costs, if indeed it is unaffordable ??

I agree it is difficult to get on the housing ladder, if as a Brit that is the desired pathway as you know it is not always the inevitable way Germans see it, but renting and buying is difficult.

However I have to say it has always been difficult, but I am convinced the market will rectify the difficulties, either on the property price side or the lending side, I bought my house many years ago on a self cert mortgage, the mortgage companies are always cited on how they should be overly cautious but I suspect they enjoy vast profits from mortgages, not sub prime stuff but it will work out and Labour has always cited the property market as some evil spirit.

I suspect with some effort and sacrifices that someone on £30 000+ could accumulate a deposit and a mortgage to buy themselves somewhere, not easy, lots of hard work but do-able I know a few that have done it.

By the way unless you are talking about London then where and why would anyone need to move long distances to find relatively affordable housing, Sussex towns generally seem to have decent stock of expensive and less expensive property in every town.

And buying property has not always been difficult. I bought my first flat in the centre of Brighton near the station 20 years ago for much less than my annual salary. I remember thinking I actuslly had enough credit card limit to buy it on VISA. I'm not convinced this is still the case.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have discussed this numerous times before with quotes from business, start-up owners and cafe owners I personally know. I can't be bothered again and I'm sure no one wants to hear me or ou repeat ourselves. You've chosen your side. I've chosen mine. I am confident, very confident, the EU will get a very good deal for themselves, and me. I hope you feel the same about the UK when it's all done. I don't think there's anything more to discuss.
I'm sure we will get a good deal. Business (in all countries) will demand it of their government. Good luck with your work permit when the time comes (and I mean that - not being sarky).

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And buying property has not always been difficult. I bought my first flat in the centre of Brighton near the station 20 years ago for much less than my annual salary. I remember thinking I actuslly had enough credit card limit to buy it on VISA. I'm not convinced this is still the case.

But to a point that is what I am saying, my dad regularly cites his drama to even consider applying for a mortgage back in the 60's and so on through the generations, my own experience mirrors yours but 10 years earlier, I do not remember the houses being particularly cheap at the time but the credit was accessible and looking back seemed quite easy obtain, that was late 80's and then came the crash and high interest rates and tightening of credit and the inevitable difficulties again for first time buyers, then about 1996'sh I filled out a self cert. mortgage and it seemed easy again.

I guess banks lend on an improving market and then become reluctant if they forecast future decreases, at some point if the market is seen to be strong in the longer term then mortgage products will cater for the demand, although it does seem the easy credit you and I were 'fortunate' enough to access might not return anytime soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here