Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Oh dear, that's a chunk of truth that won't go down well with some on here! It is old news, though; they had since last November to assimilate it, but the fact that it hasn't sunk into their brains yet suggests it never will.

The blinding light from Jezza's halo combined with being offered loads of free stuff means facts aren't that important anymore.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just pressed the red button at home. Not sure what the fuss is about - am missing the Lions match though.
4a21b87c20395c8f6273c010b5b9f5ee.jpg

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Hit the brakes chaps, screeeeechhhhhh, got to do another U Turn whilst all the idiots worry about Corbyn not pressing the red button

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-housing-policy-u-turn-affordable-homes-general-election-2017-manifesto-a7769866.html

U-turns, tax cuts for the rich, welfare cuts for the poor, falling standards in the NHS, housing crisis, underfunded schools and hospitals, food banks, child poverty, declining wage worth but Corbyn won't agree to commit hypothetical mass genocide.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Or even suggest he might keep folks safe in their beds at night.

Whilst Theresa May is CURRENTLY not keeping folks safe in their beds at night. But you know ignore what IS happening and focus on a hypothetical scenario.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
U-turns, tax cuts for the rich, welfare cuts for the poor, falling standards in the NHS, housing crisis, underfunded schools and hospitals, food banks, child poverty, declining wage worth but Corbyn won't agree to commit hypothetical mass genocide.

But he will agree to lead a party/Government that keeps a nuclear deterrent he would never use and has committed to upgrading it which will cost tens of billions that could be spent on the poor, needy, NHS etc etc.

Principled :lolol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

The Tories want the election fought on Brexit & Security. If the media keep on message with those issues, the Tories will be fine.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So, what hadn't happened when this article was written??

Many, many things - including the Albion getting promotion - none of which invalidate the article, or change the facts contained therein.

Article 50, which I presume is what you're getting at, has indeed been triggered, but Angela Merkel and Donald Tusk have not budged on their intransigence, still not accepting the UK's reasonable offer and deliberately causing continuing anxiety for British ex-pats and EU migrants in the UK. Nice people, eh?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

And that's the frustrating thing about JC and friends. All of his good intention is undermined by his stance on issues such as defence. Why not put forward a leader who wants all the things you list and is prepared to defend this country at last resort ?
It doesn't matter that this is a hypothetical scenario. Government involves constantly running hypothetical models of the economy, our defence etc etc. Same everywhere and if the U.K. will not use its deterrent you can bet this will appear in the hypothetical calculations of countries that wish us harm.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with all of these defense requirements. Those threats need to be countered. In addition the threat
of potential nuclear aggressors needs to be addressed. This has not gone away simply because other threats have multiplied.

I agree that there will be a continuing need for a nuclear deterrent as long as other states have access to this technology. What I don't understand (and this is a genuine question for me as I admit that my knowledge in this area is limited) is the role of a unilateral deterrent and the scenarios in which it could be used as opposed to collective action within the NATO alliance. My understanding is that, simply put, an attack on a single NATO state is an attack on all and I am assuming that a strategy has been agreed as to the armaments needed to do this and a command and control process for making decisions, if needed within narrow timeframes, for responses. What would a credible scenario be that would see the UK and the UK alone be in receipt of a threat or an attack that just focussed on us that would not require an alliance-wide response? A more relevant line of questioning for Corbyn might have been his view on our role within the NATO strategy and command structure (obviously not the fine detail).

My comments about other forms of threat are that I see a real danger in directing so much funding to the macro threat of a nuclear attack and not enough on micro and heavily targetted acts such as cyber attacks and other forms of technology-based attack such as drone attacks. The NHS systems were so vulnerable due to a lack of investment; we should have seen this as a defence and security issue not just a healthcare issue. For our potential enemies the entry cost for this technology is much lower than nuclear and therefore it is far more likely to be used against us by the type of organisations that pose a genuine threat now. The technology is developing fast and we need to keep up.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Angela Merkel and Donald Tusk on Tuesday united to block Theresa May's attempt to fast-track a deal which would have created an amnesty for British ex-pats and EU migrants in the UK post-Brexit.

Mrs May had proposed that EU workers currently living in the UK be allowed to remain in exchange for an agreement which gives British expats in the European Union the same rights.

She had hoped to announce a deal within weeks but while more than 20 EU nations have signalled they are prepared to agree to a reciprocal arrangement, Mrs Merkel has rebuffed Mrs May's attempts to come to an agreement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ritish-voters-backed-brexit-creating-anxiety/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-angela-merkel-eu-migrants-deal-a7445261.html

Oh dear, that's a chunk of truth that won't go down well with some on here! It is old news, though; they had since last November to assimilate it, but the fact that it hasn't sunk into their brains yet suggests it never will.

All discussed at length on the EU but for balance

https://www.ft.com/content/7c008997-e2a9-360d-89a3-1646dcbdae0f

It's not as straight forward as just saying yes there are issues of healthcare etc

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
And that's the frustrating thing about JC and friends. All of his good intention is undermined by his stance on issues such as defence. Why not put forward a leader who wants all the things you list and is prepared to defend this country at last resort ?
It doesn't matter that this is a hypothetical scenario. Government involves constantly running hypothetical models of the economy, our defence etc etc. Same everywhere and if the U.K. will not use its deterrent you can bet this will appear in the hypothetical calculations of countries that wish us harm.

And as soon as he does do that he'll be set upon by his opponents and the right wing sections of the media saying "see you can't trust him, he won't even stick to his own principles". It's a no win situation for him and I think he's done pretty well in answering the questions put forward to him the best he can. He said to Paxman or Neil, can't remember which now, that the manifesto was a party led set of policies and that as Leader he'll respect them, which included renewal of Trident. Now I know he had a get out clause of the Defense Review they'd go through, but every incoming government does that I'm sure.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

It is frustrating. But it depends on your view of 'defending'. Personally, I see preemptive diplomacy and dialogue as defence. He has pledged to spend of cyber defence and he has continued to promote diplomacy and dialogue. The prospect of nuclear war is a hypothetical scenario, the likelihood of which is incredibly small.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Presumably you mean triggering of Article 50 ? So it's right to be critical of the U.K. stance of waiting for the negotiations but the identical position taken by the EU is fine ? Not aimed at you by the way but at other posters who seem to take this
position.

'We' chose to leave, not them. I think holding off on their position is fine. They didn't want us to leave. Us saying we are buggering off and then listin demands early doors is a bit arrogant isn't it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He should have just said he would press the button as a very last, last, last resort. Even if secretly he wouldn't in any circumstances. We would be all dead anyway, so he wouldn't receive any backlash.

Its an odd thing, isn't it. A political leader who finds it distasteful to bluster about rediculous hypotheticals in order to win cheap political points.

A cynic may say of course he realises that all your Sun and Mail readers, Loonies etc., are not suddenly going to vote Team Jeremy just because he vows to avenge their smoking bodies by nuking someone.

Or maybe he's just more comfortable with the truth :shrug:

I say all that still wishing that Andy Burnham was labour leader . . . . . . if he were labour would have a double digit lead by now . . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here