Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I certainly could.

If you let the people vote, they vote for Barabbas.

Democracy really hurts when you are outnumbered by people who you passionately believe are selfish, willfully ignorant or just plain wrong.

The NHS will be chipped away, but will still be here in some form of public ownership in five years time,
There's a good chance the BBC may not be.
A good majority of the nation's schools definitely will not be.
Local authorities are already hanging by a thread.

All those people who blindly crossed a blue box without caring to understand that this is what these people are about may be wondering what happened to the country's public services, but will no doubt vote them in again.

Or maybe people are as passionate about all the things you mention but just have different views on how to deal with them. A word to the wise, you'll never ever, ever, ever win hearts and minds with an attitude like yours. That attitude is a big part of the problem and why the Tories are doing so well tonight.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Would love to be a fly on the wall in Ed Miliband's living room right now. His speech at his count will be worth waiting for.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In a word, UKIP. The Right of the Tory party have defected as they didn't like Cameron's modernisation. As someone who is firmly on the Ken Clarke wing of the party (I don't share his great enthusiasm for Europe, though I certainly don't want to leave, or some of his positions on criminal justice, but by and large I'm much more at his end), frankly we are best rid of them. What gets me is that Conservatives are seen on here as all being extremely right wing, whereas there are people from all positions in the party. For example, I strongly oppose the bedroom tax, but overall one issue is not going to make me change party.

Nice to hear a bit of moderate rhetoric. :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lib Dems on the board, Kilmarnock 26% swing from Lab to SNP.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Or maybe people are as passionate about all the things you mention but just have different views on how to deal with them. A word to the wise, you'll never ever, ever, ever win hearts and minds with an attitude like yours. That attitude is a big part of the problem and why the Tories are doing so well tonight.

I think that was a 5 x 'ever' point to be honest. 3 didn't hammer it home for me. :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nice to hear a bit of moderate rhetoric. :thumbsup:

But that can't be all of the story with UKIP or the Tory would be losing share of the votes. They've broadly held it and a large part of the UKIP vote is clearly from Labour voters. I'm from the Ken Clarke side of the party too but don't accept that UKIP are overwhelmingly just ex-Tory voters. The figures so far don't back that up. The other thing I would add is that I believe that the UKIP vote is incredibly soft and within 10 years the party will have been confined to history and the loony tunes on the right who defected to UKIP will be back in the Tory fold - hopefully nowhere near positions of power though.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I certainly could.

If you let the people vote, they vote for Barabbas.

Democracy really hurts when you are outnumbered by people who you passionately believe are selfish, willfully ignorant or just plain wrong.

The NHS will be chipped away, but will still be here in some form of public ownership in five years time,
There's a good chance the BBC may not be.
A good majority of the nation's schools definitely will not be.
Local authorities are already hanging by a thread.

All those people who blindly crossed a blue box without caring to understand that this is what these people are about may be wondering what happened to the country's public services, but will no doubt vote them in again.

It would appear calling the electorate ignorant for disagreeing with your world view is not a vote winner after all

who would have thunk it!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It is unusual for the betting market to be so badly wrong with it's move towards Ed Miliband as PM in recent days, and even more so during today.

I am very happy to say that I backed the tories in 40 key marginals. small fortune tonight.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Douglas Alexander of Labour bites the dust.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here