Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As a serious note my son has PE Club at 7.30 tomorrow morning and my routine is set to take him and then go for a run as I work at home on Fridays. I'm looking at seeing the first result, off to bed and up at about 5 I reckon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Would it be possible to have a three way parliment? Say if Labour got with Lib Dems and SNP to keep the Tories out...possible or not?

Yes. Don't think the numbers will add up but at one stage a five-way coalition of Lab, LD, SDLP, PC and Green looked possible - the SNP's strong showing has ditched that idea

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
keep an eye out for

Croydon South
Norwich South
Sherwood
Lichfield
Maidenhead
Chingford

Class War are back, this time with candidates and threatening disruption.
Possibility of an outbreak of repetitive shouting and maybe a luzz of something. at the count.

Should keep the evening rolling on nicely.

http://www.classwarparty.org.uk/

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is anyone else getting deluged by party political emails? So far this morning, I've had emails from 'Ed Miliband', 'Justine Miliband', 'Lucy Powell' and 'Gloria De Piero' urging me to go out to vote Labour. I'm not a member of the party - I'm not even voting for them. I've also had a couple from the Green Party too, so it's not just the Labour team.

Is this the future? Once all the other parties cotton on, will I be getting 20 or 30 emails every day? Will we start getting text messages too

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Would it be possible to have a three way parliment? Say if Labour got with Lib Dems and SNP to keep the Tories out...possible or not?

I could be wrong but I don't think it would happen if Tories won the most seats cos they'd carry on the coalition with the LDs. If Labour get the most seats they could probably form a coalition with the LDs so it would not be necessary to involve the SNP in a formal coalition.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I could be wrong but I don't think it would happen if Tories won the most seats cos they'd carry on the coalition with the LDs. If Labour get the most seats they could probably form a coalition with the LDs so it would not be necessary to involve the SNP in a formal coalition.

Tories + LDem's might not be enough... it might take some other smaller parties, or not be possible at all, other than as a minority govt.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
they certainly are all telling porkies, but thats not what the IFS have said exactly. for a start, the cutting 12bn is perfectly possible, just no one know where it will fall. there was a 85Bn overspend the past year, there's places to cut. the question is what services suffer, not is it possible. second point, both Labour and Liberals have made grand statments of what they'll do with tax avoidance, and the problem here is that they havent said what taxes they will change. chasing tax avoidance is tax rises by another name. thridly, you cant grow an economy at 1-2% and expect 85Bn overspend to get swallowed up, aint going to happen, so that policy is just fundementally flawed. you have to do more and nothing is being proposed.

You obviously were not listing to the IFS were saying yesterday on R4 then - they were pretty adamant that they will not be able to reduce our debt by making £12bn of cuts.

maybe try listening again on catch up?? It was about 5.30 - 6pm

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Tories + LDem's might not be enough... it might take some other smaller parties, or not be possible at all, other than as a minority govt.

MIGHT not but probably would? WOW! I'm getting all exited now! I might … in my strides!

synavm

May 2, 2013
Yeah, I guess the Tories could use the Lib Dems and the DUP. Realistically, though, I'd say it's looking like a minority Government in some form. In that case I'd say the Tories would have to be the largest party and then successfully convince the house to back them in forming a minority Government, probably using the argument that they're the largest party. Miliband would probably have the best chance with the backing of the SNP . Of course, there's still the possibility of a 1992 type situation, but I get the impression that the polling companies are far more advanced nowadays.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Agree with must of the sentiment,cespecially the trust point. But the economy i in much better shape and growing at one of the best rates in the developed world. Cant please everyone i guess but i would prefer this than the shambles Labour has left the last twotimes in power.

You don't really believe the economy is in better shape do you?? If people are feeling better in the past months its got more to do with the drop in oil prices and food prices - nothing to do with the fool lying to you that they are better than the lot before.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Odds on Dave being the next PM continuing to shorten...

Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 14.17.33.png

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Yeah, I guess the Tories could use the Lib Dems and the DUP. Realistically, though, I'd say it's looking like a minority Government in some form. In that case I'd say the Tories would have to be the largest party and then successfully convince the house to back them in forming a minority Government, probably using the argument that they're the largest party. Miliband would probably have the best chance with the backing of the SNP . Of course, there's still the possibility of a 1992 type situation, but I get the impression that the polling companies are far more advanced nowadays.
Polls are more advanced. Different demographic. No Sheffield Rally, no 'double tax whammy', no sitting Tory government with a massive majority like there was pre 1992 election etc

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I'm taking the last sweep of postal votes to the Slough count, and then driving home for about 2200.

Reckon I will stay up as long as I can. Always find election night entertaining, especially the declarations. Seeing some suited mainstream politician having to share the same stage as someone from a fringe party in fancy dress. Wonderfully British.

Got a fair selection of beers at home to get me through.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Difficult as I have a little one who won't be in bed until 8 and I was then planning on a run.

I think I'll just have to load myself up to the eyeballs with caffeine and see how far I get.

Loading up with caffeine is the worst idea as if you ultimately want to sleep you wont be able to (i.e. as it inevitably will at some point the event bores you to tears). Lots of water, healthy snacks - get yourself some light as soon as the sun is up. If you need to get through tomorrow until your normal sleeping time having stayed up all night then bosh some caffeine in then.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'll watch David Mitchell for a bit of a laugh. Don't done it that interesting really. It'll be the kingmakers and deals made over. The next 72 hours that will be interesting.
I was at The Brighton Centre in 2010 to see Caroline Lucas get voted in and that was up til 6. Never again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here