Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'd personally scrap FPTP and go PR.

I'd support this too. Given the fragmented state of current politics and the fracturing of the traditional 2 party model it seems right to move to PR. Out of interest, if the current polls where broadly representative of the actual result, what would parliament look like under PR?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[h=3]Devolved powers[/h]The affairs over which the Scottish Parliament has control are called devolved powers, and they include:

• health
  • education and training
  • local government
  • law, including most aspects of criminal and civil law, the prosecution system and the courts
  • social work
  • housing
  • tourism and economic development
  • some aspects of transport, including the Scottish road network, bus policy, and ports and harbours
  • planning and the environment
  • agriculture, forestry and fishing
  • sport and the arts
  • miscellaneous matters, such as compiling statistics and keeping public records
[h=3]Reserved powers[/h]The UK Parliament retains control over a whole range of national affairs. These are called reserved powers, and they include:

• constitutional matters
  • UK defence and national security
  • UK foreign policy
  • immigration and nationality
  • UK economic and monetary policy (other than Scotland's tax-varying power)
  • energy: electricity, coal, gas and nuclear power
  • employment legislation
  • social security (the DWP - Department for Work and Pensions)
  • some aspects of transport, including railways, safety and regulation
  • regulation of certain professions such as medicine and dentistry
  • others, such as data protection, broadcasting, gambling and the National Lottery
As fas as I can see, Scotland ain't doing too bad in what it has voting tights over. And more to come... Doesn't seem a lot for them to complain about in terms of Westminster interference and needing more say at a national level.

A fair point. It therefore makes me wonder why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I wrote NATIONAL! I know about their domestic parliament thank you.

So on one hand you bang on about the amount of land the Scots have, which they have the power to look after, you are not bothered that England does not have the same power, but think the Scots should have more of a say "NATIONAL" say as well.......So where is England's "NATIONAL" say, seeing as we do not even have the full say on our OWN country.
Just remember that nearly half of the Scottish voters wanted to leave the Union, be Independent.....which given that they really are with their own parliament....now you want "NATIONAL".

larus

I'd support this too. Given the fragmented state of current politics and the fracturing of the traditional 2 party model it seems right to move to PR. Out of interest, if the current polls where broadly representative of the actual result, what would parliament look like under PR?

Well, UKIP on 14% of the vote would have 91 out of 650 MP's. It may get 1 - 4 on FPTP. Labour would get 214 based on 33%. Suddenly, UKIP is not such a fringe party.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I just took a look at the current YouGov and it has Conservatives 1 point ahead. I guess they'd have first go at forming a majority coalition, or deciding to go it alone on a minority. If they could do this I guess Dave would be back in number 10. It would mean a deal of sorts with UKIP.

larus

A fair point. It therefore makes me wonder why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist.

Because they will use their influence to exact even more from the pot than they are putting in.

When I hear the left wing candidates who oppose Austerity, I change that word to the phrase 'Living Within Your Means'. Then the arguments against austerity seem weak.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So on one hand you bang on about the amount of land the Scots have, which they have the power to look after, you are not bothered that England does not have the same power, but think the Scots should have more of a say "NATIONAL" say as well.......So where is England's "NATIONAL" say, seeing as we do not even have the full say on our OWN country.
Just remember that nearly half of the Scottish voters wanted to leave the Union, be Independent.....which given that they really are with their own parliament....now you want "NATIONAL".

England, or London, has plenty of say in how the UK is run. There's your "NATIONAL"

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I just took a look at the current YouGov and it has Conservatives 1 point ahead. I guess they'd have first go at forming a majority coalition, or deciding to go it alone on a minority. If they could do this I guess Dave would be back in number 10. It would mean a deal of sorts with UKIP.

Well seeing the mess that Labour who run the NHS in Wales are making, then i wonder whether Plaid would actually favour supporting some of the governments policies if the Cons serve another term with A.N.Other.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because they will use their influence to exact even more from the pot than they are putting in.

When I hear the left wing candidates who oppose Austerity, I change that word to the phrase 'Living Within Your Means'. Then the arguments against austerity seem weak.

I'm for living within your means in principle. Tory austerity, to me, seems more of an excuse to push through their neoliberal ideology. I'd rather we balance the books by taxing the Amazons and Starbucks, closing tax loopholes etc and not by savagely cutting the benefits of vulnerable people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And Scottish MP's can vote on legislation in the UK parliament, which does not impact their constituents, which is indefensible.

To me it isn't, it's part of being a UK MP

larus

I'm for living within your means in principle. Tory austerity, to me, seems more of an excuse to push through their neoliberal ideology. I'd rather we balance the books by taxing the Amazons and Starbucks, closing tax loopholes etc and not by savagely cutting the benefits of vulnerable people.

Couldn't agree more. However, that won;t happen without international cooperation, starting with Luxemburg, where Juncker (you know, him of the EU) was responsible for entering into multiple agreements with multi-nationals to allow them to set-up head offices in their country of funnel the profits through there to pay low (circa 2%) tax rates. And then you say that you support the EU, and one of the leading lights in the EU has been responsible for allowing multi-nationals to avoid tax, because his country was a net beneficiary.

You're not going to plug the large deficit hole by raising personal taxation to 50%. That is the politics of envy. The problem is that we have been lied to for decades by politicians as to what the country can afford based on the level of taxation being taken.

The reality is there has been no austerity really. We are still increasing the national debt at a very high rate, yet left wingers still want to spend MORE. Which part of 'balancing the books' don't left wingers get. Note: this does not mean an unfair society, it means being honest with the country as to affordability.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Couldn't agree more. However, that won;t happen without international cooperation, starting with Luxemburg, where Juncker (you know, him of the EU) was responsible for entering into multiple agreements with multi-nationals to allow them to set-up head offices in their country of funnel the profits through there to pay low (circa 2%) tax rates. And then you say that you support the EU, and one of the leading lights in the EU has been responsible for allowing multi-nationals to avoid tax, because his country was a net beneficiary.

You're not going to plug the large deficit hole by raising personal taxation to 50%. That is the politics of envy. The problem is that we have been lied to for decades by politicians as to what the country can afford based on the level of taxation being taken.

The reality is there has been no austerity really. We are still increasing the national debt at a very high rate, yet left wingers still want to spend MORE. Which part of 'balancing the books' don't left wingers get. Note: this does not mean an unfair society, it means being honest with the country as to affordability.

1) I am aware of Luxembourg and also aware it's being investigated by the EU
2) Agree. I doubt I'd actually crank it up to 50 but I'd certainly like to add a few digits; every bit helps
3) There has been austerity. And my first goal would be to raise more revenue by the means I have suggested. Then I'd spend it

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
When all is said and done, what is everybody's best guess of the outcome based on the current state of play - as opposed to your personal preference (unless of course they happen to be one and the same?)

I think it will be a wafer thin Tory majority or another Tory - Lib Dem coalition.
I also think UKIP will get significantly more than than their current predicted 13% share of the vote but will still only get 3 or 4 seats at most.

larus

When all is said and done, what is everybody's best guess of the outcome based on the current state of play - as opposed to your personal preference (unless of course they happen to be one and the same?)

I think it will be a wafer thin Tory majority or another Tory - Lib Dem coalition.
I also think UKIP will get significantly more than than their current predicted 13% share of the vote but will still only get 3 or 4 seats at most.

It's tough to call. My own expectation is that Miliband will be PM, but in an unstable coalition which won't last. CMD will leave and Boris will be a shoe-in for the next leader. However, the margin of error on polls is about 3%, and late swings can happen (e.g. Kinnock). I think the Lib-Dems will hold up in their strongholds, but will lose some marginals. SNP will dominate in Scotland on the back of the referendum tide. UKIP will do well (as a percentage), but only get a few seats.

So, all-in-all, I don't really know.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

It is so close that we are all guessing but i suspect that the conservatives and the liberals will just get enough to get over the line to continue for another 5 years

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

I agree. But I believe the UKIP vote will be much lower with possibly just the one MP. Also think the DUP may be needed to close the deal but will be very close. For the first time in years I'm actually excited by this election. The polls suggest we are in unchartered waters, I hope they're right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here