General Election 2015

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely by having a referendum, the people can decide? If we voted to stay 'in' then that's the issue done. Why you are voting for a party solely to stop people having a fair say on a legitimate question is baffling.

We had a referendum on the voting system - fair enough. It's not like we have referendums all the time!

Or do you not trust the people to return the right answer?

With a fragile economy now is not the moment to waste time, money and resources on a referendum. The installbilty will put the brakes on investment coming into the UK as well. And if the vote is yes yet even more time, money and resources extricating the UK from the EU. Now is the wrong time.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
With a fragile economy now is not the moment to waste time, money and resources on a referendum. The installbilty will put the brakes on investment coming into the UK as well. And if the vote is yes yet even more time, money and resources extricating the UK from the EU. Now is the wrong time.

I disagree. There is never a good time for something like this but its necessary to be open and frank and make a call. the political elite have decided what is right and taken us down a route. I think given we hand over more and more soverignty this should be put to the people. I will vote to stay in fo what its worth

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It wasn't until I moved oop north in late 1992 that I realised the "north-south divide" wasn't only economic but political too. The Conservatives didn't give a **** about huge swathes of the country where manufacturing and industry was allowed to fall into decline.
I wouldn't be sure they didn't care, but I'm sure they didn't do enough for the north. They should have slowed down the pit closures and worked harder to bring industry in. Although that ***t Scargill didn't help with the mines.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Apologies, didnt mean to come across as pompous
That's very polite, considering 😀. Labour did nothing every other government hasn't done, agreed the banks should have been better regulated, but deregulation was Conservative policy, Labour's mistake was not to alter it. The Tories planned massive cuts for years, the deficit is just a convenient peg to hang them on. It's a con.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

So Scotland shouldn't have had their referendum then? Bloody Democracy, such a waste on time and resources to let the people decide the future of the Country they live in.
There never will be 'perfect time', 2017 is as good as any.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Older people will remember what 18 years of the Tories did to this country (1979-1997) and then realise the state of the country when Labour lost power in 2010 wasn't too bad after all.
Actually, those people will realise that it wasn't bad in 97. Those even older will remember what Labour did to the country fro 1974 to 1979, and Labour raising the top rate of income tax to 83% (98% on investment income) didn't help.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So Scotland shouldn't have had their referendum then? Bloody Democracy, such a waste on time and resources to let the people decide the future of the Country they live in.

No. I prefer my leaders to lead, not use referendums when there are tough decisions to be made. They're voted in and paid to make decisions for us.

larus

I've noticed that those who like the current position, very rarely support democracy if it goes against their views.

i'm 52, I want out of the EU political project so I want a referendum. I've never had a choice on Europe. Not once, even with the constant transfer of power to the unelected in Brussels. I want my chance to vote. I want to stay in a single market/free trade zone.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No. I prefer my leaders to lead, not use referendums when there are tough decisions to be made. They're voted in and paid to make decisions for us.

I prefer it when real democracy is used for the big decisions ..... something Labour doesn't and has lied about in the past.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That's very polite, considering . Labour did nothing every other government hasn't done, agreed the banks should have been better regulated, but deregulation was Conservative policy, Labour's mistake was not to alter it. The Tories planned massive cuts for years, the deficit is just a convenient peg to hang them on. It's a con.

and Brown buggered it up by NOT nationalising the banks

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From a Conservative blogger exposing the deficit myth:

Secondly, in 1997 Labour inherited a deficit of 3.9% of GDP (not a balanced budget ) and by 2008 it had fallen to 2.1% - a reduction of a near 50% - Impressive!
So although our economy was flying at the start of this century, our debt continued to increase. I don't find that impressive. Don't we ever want to pay it off?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
That's very polite, considering 😀. Labour did nothing every other government hasn't done, agreed the banks should have been better regulated, but deregulation was Conservative policy, Labour's mistake was not to alter it. The Tories planned massive cuts for years, the deficit is just a convenient peg to hang them on. It's a con.

😀. I of course disagree with you though! The labour line (not necessarily yours but a summary of some poster here) seems to be it was a global crisis and it happened to us not in part because of us. And even if it was partially labours fault the alternative, the tories, would have done the same so we are no worse off. And that we came into the crisis in a poor finanical position was not their fault, again the tories would have done the same. I dont buy the spin and i my view they should stand up and be accountable. It cannot always be someone elses fault. It feels like a teenager defending the indefensible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've noticed that those who like the current position, very rarely support democracy if it goes against their views.

i'm 52, I want out of the EU political project so I want a referendum. I've never had a choice on Europe. Not once, even with the constant transfer of power to the unelected in Brussels. I want my chance to vote. I want to stay in a single market/free trade zone.

You can't do this unless you sign up to the four "freedoms". Switzerland found this out recently and they're now back peddling on their freedom of movement referendum.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
So although our economy was flying at the start of this century, our debt continued to increase. I don't find that impressive. Don't we ever want to pay it off?

I think we have only just finished paying the yanks for the second world war, you know the one where we were the yanks first line of defence against Hitler and his rockets aimed at New York, Oh yes the yanks that were going to take over Canada if we lost the war.
and here we are the first line of their defence again and going to pay 100b to replace that line.
**** them Britain first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports