General Election 2015

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Camicus

Perfect strategy by Dave, let the other six argue and accuse each other whilst his seat is empty, then have a head to head with Ed and land the knockout blow that he is capable of. Since when have the UK broadcasters set the political agenda in this country. Well done Dave for not being manipulated, whats the outcome of these debates anyway, who cares, who listens, boring, boring, boring. If this is the highest issue in politics at the moment we really are devoid of any substance.
Thing is Ed is a brilliant public speaker he will rip Dave a new one and Dave knows it from week after week of pmq

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't understand your logic. How does what go on in Scotland affect the number of votes Labour will get in England (and Wales)? If the SNP wipe out Labour in Scotland as you (and recent polling) suggest, there's every conceivable possibility that the Tories will get a clear majority in England (and Wales) even one that means that they are the majority party in parliament (325+ seats), they could get roughly the same number of seats as Labour (which would increase the likelihood of a SNP-Labour coalition), or Labour could get a clear majority in England (and Wales) -- although it's looking increasingly unlikely that Labour will get a clear majority in England (and Wales).
Labour may well lose 40 or more Scottish seats if the worst predictions for their Scottish performance come true. In my opinion that will make it next to impossible to become the largest party. I can see the Tories leading a coalition with whatever remains of the liberals or UKIP.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Thing is Ed is a brilliant public speaker he will rip Dave a new one and Dave knows it from week after week of pmq

Must be listening to a different PMQs to me, but I do accept that Ed is fantastic at being a public speaker, forgets the economy in his keynote speech, knows how to eat a bacon sandwich and is always generous when walking past beggars. I should not forget that Ed is also a commoner like most of us, excepting he went to Harvard, met up with some stunned old woman in Israel, a long lost relative and knifed his own brother with the backing of the unions to grab the leadership of the Labour Party. ED Milliband, you must be having a laugh mate.

Camicus

Must be listening to a different PMQs to me, but I do accept that Ed is fantastic at being a public speaker, forgets the economy in his keynote speech, knows how to eat a bacon sandwich and is always generous when walking past beggars. I should not forget that Ed is also a commoner like most of us, excepting he went to Harvard, met up with some stunned old woman in Israel, a long lost relative and knifed his own brother with the backing of the unions to grab the leadership of the Labour Party. ED Milliband, you must be having a laugh mate.

You cant have it both ways he is either weak and ineffectual or he knifed his own brother in the back in a ruthless coup. Which is it? You cant have a pop at the leaders debates for being fluff then have a go because he takes a shocking photo while scarfing a bacon sanger. He went to LSE and did a year as a lecturer at Harvard I would sooner someone with a decent education than not

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The SNP will clearly have to put aside their desire for independence in any coalition negotiation. They'll use/trade this for a handful of other key items. This is how coalitions work.
I personally feel it will be a bit easier as there is more common ground between Labour and SNP.

both points are true. does this work in favour or against Labour though. the problem Labour face is giving concessions to Scotland in the form of more devolution and more money. this will lead to both the SNP strengthing thier position in Scotland and Labour creating ill feeling in England. they could end up unelectable in the south east and affluent midland and northern seats, so perpetually reliant on the SNP to form a government.

on the other hand there is one major ground is not common, Trident. SNP have made it clear that isnt negotiable and i dont see them going all Liberal on this issue as they have pointedly said they wont negotiate on this. Labour are torn on the matter of nuclear deterrent, will they abandon it or stick with it? im not sure how they can fudge a middle ground to get SNP onboard without looking weak and, back to the previous, losing support in England. when you think about it, it would be a massive favor for Labour if they didn't have a minority win, because if they do they and the union look set to be decimated.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You cant have it both ways he is either weak and ineffectual or he knifed his own brother in the back in a ruthless coup. Which is it?

he's a weak and ineffectual leader who was used as a patsy for the union's anyone-but-a-Blairite coup. the stuff about the bacon sarnie is daft though, his lack of control of his party would be the bigger problem. i recall a few weeks ago when there were two or three conflicting opinions on health policy, supposedly a Labour strength, and then there was open hostility to the mansion tax from the London contingent. no party speaks as one voice, but normally they get the troops in line when it matters, Miliband and his office dont seem to have achieved this.

Camicus

he's a weak and ineffectual leader who was used as a patsy for the union's anyone-but-a-Blairite coup. the stuff about the bacon sarnie is daft though, his lack of control of his party would be the bigger problem. i recall a few weeks ago when there were two or three conflicting opinions on health policy, supposedly a Labour strength, and then there was open hostility to the mansion tax from the London contingent. no party speaks as one voice, but normally they get the troops in line when it matters, Miliband and his office dont seem to have achieved this.

I held the same view as you then I spoke with some party members I know and the universal opinion is Eds awesome. Bearing in mind you cant get a group of labour activists to agree on anything I was shocked.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I held the same view as you then I spoke with some party members I know and the universal opinion is Eds awesome.

why the apparent disquiet in the party then? i know lots like to portray a tory media conspiracy, but early last month and jan, there was open revolt with MPs and Labour strategists making comments that papers couldnt be just making up or mis-quoting. recall there was serious questions about weather he would make it to GE as leader. now that was papers stiring i think , but the ground work for that came from somewhere and there wasnt a whole lot of support. the party seemed compromised of Miliband, Balls, Umunna and Hunt with everyone else hiding or in opposition to the leadership.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Red Ed is not a leader and especially not of this country and i fully expect the people of this country to do the right thing

Camicus

why the apparent disquiet in the party then? i know lots like to portray a tory media conspiracy, but early last month and jan, there was open revolt with MPs and Labour strategists making comments that papers couldnt be just making up or mis-quoting. recall there was serious questions about weather he would make it to GE as leader. now that was papers stiring i think , but the ground work for that came from somewhere and there wasnt a whole lot of support. the party seemed compromised of Miliband, Balls, Umunna and Hunt with everyone else hiding or in opposition to the leadership.

A lot of the disquiet came when Ed moved against the Blairites and started moving them on a lot also came form Progress a splinter group within the Labour party who thought he should move further to the right than he has. While Ed is not as far left as a lot of the left would hope he is further left than both his brother and a lot of labour MPs. When there was such a bitter leadership debate (They should have had it when Brown stood rather than the coronation they had) and when you have splinter groups then you will have mutterings of disquiet and we do have a very anti Ed press who sieze on every available story or non story to make him look bad

Camicus

Oh well, that's sorted then...

For me it is I have known these people for a lot of years and I trust them a lot more than Paul Dacre and the daily mail. Im not saying hes the answer or the second messiah but I am saying hes not as bad as the right wingers make him out to be.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Earlier in this thread I posted what Peter Oborne had to say. At the time he was chief political correspondent of the Daily Telegraph and a firm Tory. Just to remind us what Oborne wrote "I have followed Mr Miliband with growing admiration as Labour leader. I think he has been the greatest leader of the opposition since something like Attlee, I mean certainly since World War Two, in terms of sheer achievement."

If Tories can write that, it doesn't sound to me like he's a weak leader

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Gideon has told his pals in the City that RBS shares will be the next giveaway if the Tories stay in power and probably match the instant profit they got from Royal Mail.

That'll be the bank Brown saved with, you remember ,t hrowing billions to save his banking mates. Well that's what the lefties would have said if the tories had saved them.

Camicus

That'll be the bank Brown saved with, you remember ,t hrowing billions to save his banking mates. Well that's what the lefties would have said if the tories had saved them.
What was he supposed to do? The tories were calling for more state intervention at the time and we will get our money back. Well unless gidiot sells for 10% of value

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
What was he supposed to do? The tories were calling for more state intervention at the time and we will get our money back. Well unless gidiot sells for 10% of value

Yes I Agree he had to do it. That wasn't my point. Yes hopefully the tax payer will get it's money back and more if done correctly.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
This.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I refuse to believe that we will end up with Red Ed and the SNP in power. It really will be a disaster for our long term success as a country. I have all parts of my body crossed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports