Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Or you're not smart and/or creative enough to be more efficient?

Hypothetical situation. You own a strawberry farm and derive £40,000 per annum income. The Living Wage Foundation say the UK Living Wage is £7.65 per hr. The NMW is £6.50 per hour. So the difference is £46 per week, or £52.35 including Employer's NI. If you've got 10 workers that an extra £27,222 per annum in wage costs. Are you seriously saying in that situation the employer should pay the extra wage out of a moral duty?

In the real world the business owner would realise he now earns £12,778, so close his business and make 10 people redundant.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes stupid you, because education, desire, input, mobility, creativity and necessity are all alternatives to low pay. AS I was waiting to go into the operating theatre, the male nurse was telling me how he had five pay cuts in five years, the last thing I said to him before I became unconscious was, get another job then. Don't whinge and whine and expect someone else to do something about it, make it happen, change your life by making a decision. THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE TO LOW PAY IS NOT BENEFITS!

And with no nurses because they have all gone to get better jobs, who was going to bring you round in recovery an 'nurse' you. Jesus what a dumb post.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Or you accept a lower profit margin!

It doesn't work like that though, does it? You assess the cost of labour, raw materials, overheads and factor in how much you need to live on, then put on a mark up. If your mark up is too high you don't get orders.

I am an accountant and I don't see much evidence of "fat cats" exploiting "downtrodden workers", I just see people trying to get by. And employing staff really is no bed of roses.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
And with no nurses because they have all gone to get better jobs, who was going to bring you round in recovery an 'nurse' you. Jesus what a dumb post.

That'll be the nurses curently undertaking their Nursing Degree in which two thirds of applicants can't get a place, that'll be the nurses coming to this country to from Asia, South America, Spain, Africa and former states of the USSR. Life is so simple to you and as with the previous post that I replied to had no thought or input. Do you work in the health service?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I didnt realise but the Scottish labour party refer to labour as "the red tories" made me chuckle

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hypothetical situation. You own a strawberry farm and derive £40,000 per annum income. The Living Wage Foundation say the UK Living Wage is £7.65 per hr. The NMW is £6.50 per hour. So the difference is £46 per week, or £52.35 including Employer's NI. If you've got 10 workers that an extra £27,222 per annum in wage costs. Are you seriously saying in that situation the employer should pay the extra wage out of a moral duty?

In the real world the business owner would realise he now earns £12,778, so close his business and make 10 people redundant.

Is £40k the going rate for what a strawberry farmer earns? I very much suspect not. If you changed it so that the farmer is earning £100k then that puts a very different slant on the morality of paying a living wage. Also, it's a strawberry farm so are those 10 workers seasonal?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Good analysis that.

Have Labour ever failed to deliver on manifesto items and election promises before do you know? They seem to be missing from what you've written.

Having lived through more than a few General Elections, I have got used to "promises" made in manifestos, by all parties, that never materialised or somehow got overlooked or forgotten about.

What I can't ever recall happening before is for any party to make a manifesto promise, have a huge media campaign on the back of that manifesto promise and then, when returned to power, do the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of the manifesto pledge.

Clegg got elected to his seat with the student vote that believed the manifesto promise and the media campaign he orchestrated. He then shafted them by doing the complete opposite. All politicians lie to some degree; it's part of the job description. But Clegg did it in such a blatant, underhand way that I hope it has killed off his political career. He deserves what he has coming!

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Im not tory or labout but wasnt there an expose' on chanel 4 s dispatches about hiw Gorden Brown "filtered" public money into private hospital practices and on the board of thoae hospitals were people who bought peerages from the labour government as well as contributions?

Crawley a and e, haywards heath maternity and i think their a &e (? Not sure)both closed under labour so not aure if they lived up to the promise of money for healthcare

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very real, the last thing you want when going into the operating theatre is some idiot whingeing about themselves, the guy should have been more professional. He's there to nurse patients, not preach to them.

Just as well not every member of the nursing profession and all the other low-paid workers who looked after you during your stay in hospital followed your sterling advice to 'get another job then'

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Very real, the last thing you want when going into the operating theatre is some idiot whingeing about themselves, the guy should have been more professional. He's there to nurse patients, not preach to them.

Lucky he didn't turn off the machine and left you there, same as winding up the waiter in a curry house. There are some things you don't do and abuse the guy who has your life in his hands is one of them

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having lived through more than a few General Elections, I have got used to "promises" made in manifestos, by all parties, that never materialised or somehow got overlooked or forgotten about.

What I can't ever recall happening before is for any party to make a manifesto promise, have a huge media campaign on the back of that manifesto promise and then, when returned to power, do the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of the manifesto pledge.

Clegg got elected to his seat with the student vote that believed the manifesto promise and the media campaign he orchestrated. He then shafted them by doing the complete opposite. All politicians lie to some degree; it's part of the job description. But Clegg did it in such a blatant, underhand way that I hope it has killed off his political career. He deserves what he has coming!

Or for that matter promising not to do a top down reorganisation of the NHS and then promptly doing that!

Well you must have been in some sort of conversation and judging by your posts, maybe he got pissed of with you bragging about how much you earn. Not everybody's life is about making as much money as you can whilst trampling over everyone else.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Just as well not every member of the nursing profession and all the other low-paid workers who looked after you during your stay in hospital followed your sterling advice to 'get another job then'

You mean my daughter who happened to be working on that ward? surgeon who treated me, the anesthetis, the matron, the ward sister, the registrar,the consultant, who are you talking about? I didn't see any low paid workers. You and the other poster on the subject are being too general and political about the NHS. Those who are low paid need to think about improving themselves, not listening to union leaders stoking them up in the lead up to the election.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Or for that matter promising not to do a top down reorganisation of the NHS and then promptly doing that!

Well you must have been in some sort of conversation and judging by your posts, maybe he got pissed of with you bragging about how much you earn. Not everybody's life is about making as much money as you can whilst trampling over everyone else.

Have you been drinking or smoking something, I've made no reference to what I earn or do here. You've totally lost credibility with that comment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Im not tory or labout but wasnt there an expose' on chanel 4 s dispatches about hiw Gorden Brown "filtered" public money into private hospital practices and on the board of thoae hospitals were people who bought peerages from the labour government as well as contributions?

Crawley a and e, haywards heath maternity and i think their a &e (? Not sure)both closed under labour so not aure if they lived up to the promise of money for healthcare

Haywards Heath still has maternity and A & E (but not for major trauma, ie road accidents etc).

What you're saying about Brown probably applied to Blair as well and almost certainly a host of Prime Ministers going back centuries.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Lucky he didn't turn off the machine and left you there, same as winding up the waiter in a curry house. There are some things you don't do and abuse the guy who has your life in his hands is one of them

Is 'get another job' that an incendiary phrase. I get it, instead of asking how you are and be calm, your carer can vent on you before surgery, you must be a pushover mate!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You mean my daughter who happened to be working on that ward? surgeon who treated me, the anesthetis, the matron, the ward sister, the registrar,the consultant, who are you talking about? I didn't see any low paid workers.

Who cleaned the floors on your ward? Who made and delivered the food to your bedside? Who wheeled you on a trolley to the operating theatre? Who manned the little shop selling flowers, sweets and magazines? (OK, I'll let you off that last one, they were probably unpaid volunteers).

You really are one heartless idiot. As they always say about the nasty party, you know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Shame on you.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You mean my daughter who happened to be working on that ward? surgeon who treated me, the anesthetis, the matron, the ward sister, the registrar,the consultant, who are you talking about? I didn't see any low paid workers. You and the other poster on the subject are being too general and political about the NHS. Those who are low paid need to think about improving themselves, not listening to union leaders stoking them up in the lead up to the election.

Quite selective in who you list there. Did you not see any cleaners, HCAs, orderlies, porters etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here