Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Gender pay gap

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Same in my business where there are a lot of old male professors while statistically a proportion of younger female lecturers will have kids and not come back to the job, biasing the samples. However because university management is craven beyond belief some have given massive pay rises and promotions to some female staff, rises unjustified by 'performance', to 'deal' with the gender pay 'gap'.

I have taken this up with my union (UCU, the one leading the current industrial action) but they don't reply. At one point they conflated the current dispute (over pensions) with the gender pay 'gap' and the loss of income in real terms due to inflation with only tiny pay rises, in a classic union fail - undermining a just cause with some other utter load of old bollocks.

There are real and genuine gender pay gaps out there, but having one group of women paid less than another group of men doing a different job or the same job at a different scale is NOT a gender pay gap. Paying men and women different money for doing the same job is illegal and should be the real target of opprobrium.

:wozza:

This.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
What the headlines say here are that, lumping every make together, regardless of what job they do, and every female, shows that, on average, men are paid more than women. It’s too crude.

Too crude for what? Its not too crude to come to a conclusion that men on average earn more than women.

Take the Ryanair example, a 67 per cent pay gap between male and female employees. From a general perspective that is quite interesting. The 67% certainly doesn't paint the full picture (male pilots, female cabin crew etc.), but it gives you enough information to ask further questions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed, it is a crude survey at the moment. Hopefully it will be refined in future. Have to start somewhere though.

Quite. It’s nothing more than descriptive statistics and it’s not being presented as anything more, there’s no formal analysis. People should therefore treat this as such, and use it as the start of a discussion.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
The gender pay gap is used to highlight the disproportionate number of men holding senior level jobs in all orginastions, not the difference in pay between men and women.

Without the data it would be impossible to gauge the levels of women in highly paid jobs, this is not flawed, just a reflection of how the ground lies at this time. Without the figures to prove an imbalance how can we break the glass ceiling imposed on women and ensure that our wives and daughters get an equal opportunity to fulfil their potential? Your comments come across as masojonistic and outdated, are you intimidated by women?

This isn't entirely correct. There are definitely issues in the way the stats are derived with this. Take the following scenario of a workforce

2 men earning 50,000 and 2 men earning 25,000 average equals 150,000/4 = 37500

compared with

2 women earning 50,000 and 4 women earning 25,000 average equals 200000/6= 33,333

despite the organisation having pay parity at role level, recruiting an equal number of people in senior roles and employing more women overall there is statistically a pay gap.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Too crude for what? Its not too crude to come to a conclusion that men on average earn more than women.

Take the Ryanair example, a 67 per cent pay gap between male and female employees. From a general perspective that is quite interesting. The 67% certainly doesn't paint the full picture (male pilots, female cabin crew etc.), but it gives you enough information to ask further questions.

Quite. As I say, it’s merely descriptive statistics.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My missus is very intelligent, university educated and in a senior management position at a school. She’s just phoned me from her car (her own car, not mine that she’s borrowed) to ask how to tune the radio back in to 5 Live.

Would you seriously want someone with a brain like that behind the controls of a plane that you’re a passenger on?!
Well I'm just about to board a plane now and at least one of those up front is female. Wish me luck.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting but who are the high paid women?
Must be some big earners to counter Paul Barber's well earned coffers.
Karen Brady

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Massive can of worms this due to the difficulties in comparing not just jobs/roles, but the relative experience of individuals etc. I’ve got a real example at the moment of someone complaining that another person in the team is paid a bit more than them........the higher paid person has more experience, better qualifications and has been in the job longer and was recruited from an organisation that pays more than where the other person came from (so lots of factors) but apparently the pay difference is ‘because he’s male’.

Publication of the data will lead to even more issues. Of course, where I have other people in the team where the females are paid more than the males (for similar reasons) this’ll be ignored........
You have the perfect justification of more experience, and better qualifications. Ignore the female whinging once those factors have been put to her. (This is from a female)

The gender pay gap is used to highlight the disproportionate number of men holding senior level jobs in all orginastions, not the difference in pay between men and women.

Without the data it would be impossible to gauge the levels of women in highly paid jobs, this is not flawed, just a reflection of how the ground lies at this time. Without the figures to prove an imbalance how can we break the glass ceiling imposed on women and ensure that our wives and daughters get an equal opportunity to fulfil their potential? Your comments come across as masojonistic and outdated, are you intimidated by women?

Spot on. The biggest problem I have seen within a utility company (25 years) and the Civil Service (8 years) is maternity leave. A manager has maternity leave, and the 'job' is held open for her, but not at the same level. I know someone who had to drop 4 levels to come back to work part time, as managerial levels couldn't be part time. Admittedly this was the 90s, but more recently, I know someone who was told she couldn't come back part time, because there was only a full time post available. Those are ones I personally know about, and have heard of several like it.

:lolol: women can't fly planes. They have tiny brains.

It's science.

Maybe you'd like to tell Wing Commander Nikki Thomas that? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...ron-named-as-Wing-Commander-Nikki-Thomas.html

I've flown on Easyjet with a woman pilot and she made a darn good job it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The average man at this company is paid 0.6% less than the average woman.

This company is Brighton & Hove Albion.
Presumably that doesn't take players and manager into account.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Presumably that doesn't take players and manager into account.

Only included one male employee apparently.

image.jpg

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There are real and genuine gender pay gaps out there, but having one group of women paid less than another group of men doing a different job or the same job at a different scale is NOT a gender pay gap. Paying men and women different money for doing the same job is illegal and should be the real target of opprobrium.

Seem to me this whole study is another example of civil servants wasting millions of pounds of our money coming up with a pointless exercise.

Those doing the study are probably trying to work out what next to get paid for, maybe it the height pay gap next.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've flown on Easyjet with a woman pilot and she made a darn good job it.

So have I. The woman in question was my daughter!

Women are making inroads into such careers now, but it will take time before the numbers and experience levels will match up. Making out there’s a problem in the interim is unfair on companies trying very hard to attract a more gender balanced workforce.

Oh. And how do the LGBTQ gang deal with this male / female statistic? I thought it was rude to ask nowadays.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Seem to me this whole study is another example of civil servants wasting millions of pounds of our money coming up with a pointless exercise.

Those doing the study are probably trying to work out what next to get paid for, maybe it the height pay gap next.

Shut up short-ar$e!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here