Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GCHQ,Prism and all that.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Freedom comes at a price and for me if that means 'listerning in' on certain people than i can't see what else the Govt can be expected to do ?:wave:

ferris_ferrit

Feb 1, 2011
Wasn't the issue that they were listening to EVERYONE'S conversations and internet activity? No warm blooded male can say that they would completely trust a 3rd party to scrutinise their internet activity too closely... Terrible things are currently being done in the name of our "security" and our "safety" and it scares the pants off me.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Not got a problem with this, don't get up to anything naughty and you have nothing to worry about.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
If anyone from prism is reading this, I am currently with your wife while you are work :)

- disclaimer - this is a joke. I am not with your wife (she's far too ugly)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This has been going on for years by various means its nothing new but if anyone thinks that they listen to every phone call, read every email and check every website you visit they would need a staff of billions.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
This has been going on for years by various means its nothing new but if anyone thinks that they listen to every phone call, read every email and check every website you visit they would need a staff of billions.

Or a powerful computer and reasonable programming skills.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not got a problem with this, don't get up to anything naughty and you have nothing to worry about.

It's not about being naughty. There are plenty of fully legal activities or items you might want to keep private for all manner of reasons. It also restricts legal personal exploration and experimentation which in turn affects intelligence and creativity. And what for? I have always felt that when an authority resorts to this blanket absolute surveillance it implies they're not smart and don't really know what it is they're looking for; I prefer intelligence led security. It seems in most cases terrorists are already known to the authorities; so what benefit are we getting from this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I guess they just snoop on people with a dodgy sounding surname?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone that doesn't think these have been around for 5+ years is extremely naive

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone that doesn't think these have been around for 5+ years is extremely naive

Is anyone is debating this? But as Internet gets into more places and computers get more powerful it becomes more of an issue.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Or a powerful computer and reasonable programming skills.

no quite. what some think is being told here would require in effect a duplicate internet, or at least a dupe Google. though not impossible, someone might have noticed. you have to step back and realise just how much data Google, Facebook and the like store, they have server farms that are literally farm sized and cost bonkers £ to build and run.

whats really happening as far as i can tell is they have the ability to pull data indiscriminatly and at will from the providers of the internet, or at the network level. thats a very different proposition, very feasible and very likley. however... while on the one hand its a bit "i thought they were doing that anyway, wheres the news story here", i cant help feel this Snowden chap is a bit of a Walter Mitty who's career hasnt worked out as expected, or just disillusioned with it. he's given the non-technical worlds media a glimpse of whats going on in the secret services, they've blown this into a larger picture.

Benson

Jan 31, 2012
near water
I always assumed Prism was there anyway. It doesn't seem any good though. Perhaps we could be presented with a couple of clear examples where this scheme has worked? It all seems like evidence gathering after the deed is done as opposed to forward intelligence to stop it.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
If anyone from prism is reading this, I am currently with your wife while you are work :)

- disclaimer - this is a joke. I am not with your wife (she's far too ugly)

I don't think this got the credit it deserved! Just made me laugh out loud in the middle of a particularly important chat about my sons pre school!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Is this such a big story or are the guardianista metro liberals getting a touch over-excited? I sincerely hope that groups who threaten the security of the general population are subject to surveillance. To give one non-Islamist example, there are tens of thousands of people who support wildlife groups (including me). There are also a small handful of people who will use serious violence to further their aims. Is it so bad to keep an eye on them?

This whole civil liberties area is difficult and I resented being kettled by the police after the 0-5 at Palace. After the rows following the kettling of student political groups with well-connected parents, I sense the police are treating football fans better now.

It's difficult to get the balance right here but to ignore the reality that there are groups in Britain that feel killing is ok is criminal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here