Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GBNews: anyone watching?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure this thread has gone off on all sorts of tangents by now - but my 2p as someone who used to work on rolling news/sport....

It is genuinely terrible.

Technically there is so much wrong with this that i do not know where to start - and it looks so poor on screen that the average viewer notices.

I think the nail in the coffin is that Talk Radio and Talk Sport have WAY better production values for their video streams and they are a radio station.

They will have to improve, fast. It's a brand that has already created alot of controversy; but providing a product that is this bad does not bode well.

It is piss poor attempt at taking market share but not doing it with any reasonable capital. A classic venture capitalist spend **** all whilst not knowing what it takes to make a good product project.

I have worked on some absolute shite in my time, including start up news services - but none were as bad as this - and the ones i worked on were pretty bad!!

As you are in the industry, is it true that this channel had lots of trouble recruiting sound and camera technicians? I read rumours a few months ago.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Some data: peak of 336,000 viewers for the launch easily outscoring SKY News and the BBC News Channel. Majority were male (57%), 65+ (52%) and ABC1 (82%). It would be interesting to know what the target is and the break-even/sustainability figure.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Some data: peak of 336,000 viewers for the launch easily outscoring SKY News and the BBC News Channel. Majority were male (57%), 65+ (52%) and ABC1 (82%). It would be interesting to know what the target is and the break-even/sustainability figure.

How did it compare to the news bulletins that bbc and itv put out? I don’t understand why they only compare themselves to rolling news channels when they celebrate the fact that they are not one. Have I missed something?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It seems to have got all the right democracy deniers clutching their pearls on NSC.You can always use the remote control to change channels.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People are watching it and commenting on it. If they didn’t watch it you’d be bitching that we can’t comment as we haven’t seen it.
As it happens, I’ve seen a promo video. It was laughable and I won’t be watching the channel at all. Unlike you and the BBC which you claim never to watch it but continually slip up and mention BBC output that you watch. Having to backtrack when caught out. You dingus.

To address another issue that was brought up earlier, I have mates who are DP’s, sound techs, camera operators etc and there was strong derision of this when they were attempting to recruit. Apart from the ridiculous concept, it was nobody wanted to spend long days recording shows with the people involved.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Haven’t watched it yet and judging by the comments on here re the technical problems, I think I shall give it little time to bed in.
Not surprised by the general reaction to the channel on here, though.
Who’d have thought the NSC great and oh so good ‘echo chamber’ would be fans.
Perhaps not.:):)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm sure this thread has gone off on all sorts of tangents by now - but my 2p as someone who used to work on rolling news/sport....

It is genuinely terrible.

Technically there is so much wrong with this that i do not know where to start - and it looks so poor on screen that the average viewer notices.

I think the nail in the coffin is that Talk Radio and Talk Sport have WAY better production values for their video streams and they are a radio station.

They will have to improve, fast. It's a brand that has already created alot of controversy; but providing a product that is this bad does not bode well.

It is piss poor attempt at taking market share but not doing it with any reasonable capital. A classic venture capitalist spend **** all whilst not knowing what it takes to make a good product project.

I have worked on some absolute shite in my time, including start up news services - but none were as bad as this - and the ones i worked on were pretty bad!!

I think the fact that Murdoch turned down the opportunity to run Gammon News in the UK tell us a lot. I'd be surprised if this channel lasts long

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The BBC is the most visited organic news site on the planet and has, at present, 25 million visits per day (Source https://www.similarweb.com/). To take popularity into account they need to measure all forms of access.

GBNews may become the most popular TV site but it will never get near the reach of Sky or BBC. Nowhere near.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

luge

Dec 18, 2010
As you are in the industry, is it true that this channel had lots of trouble recruiting sound and camera technicians? I read rumours a few months ago.

No longer working in quite the same area now (i now do films). I'd be surprised. Certainly they have neglected to get anyone who can design a studio, or indeed even have a studio. It does look like there is some people who do not know what they are doing technically as it is so bad.

This is a classic scenario within the industry generally. People get excited about doing media stuff, but get off put by the cost. I am working on something now which seemed to be all fine, but there is a budget hole all of a sudden - so bad solutions are chosen. So far the bits that look great are the ones looked after by professionals, the bits that look awful are manned by people playing at stuff.

It feels like GB news is several million short of doing what they need to do here.

The editorial is not for me, but I can see where they are coming from in terms of market share. If they had made a glossy entrance then it would have absolutely delivered on what it was intending to do. Now the channel and content is up for widespread derision. They'd have wound up the woke something rotten if they had done it properly.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I think the fact that Murdoch turned down the opportunity to run Gammon News in the UK tell us a lot. I'd be surprised if this channel lasts long

It will survive as long as it is funded to fail. I should imagine that it has at least 3 years of funding. If the numbers of shares and influence is ok enough, they may pump in cash to improve the studios etc.

I guess it could also be a tactic - they are not the london elite, so much so that they cant afford a good studio. Real news. All nonsense, of course.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Haven’t watched it yet and judging by the comments on here re the technical problems, I think I shall give it little time to bed in.
Not surprised by the general reaction to the channel on here, though.
Who’d have thought the NSC great and oh so good ‘echo chamber’ would be fans.
Perhaps not.:):)

Calling NSC an echo chamber in a thread about GB News is rather funny.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
They really need to solve the technical problems as it makes a difficult watch. I do like the anti woke agenda though ..It show a clip with James Cordon on it saying how bad some particular asian dishes were like donkey nob etc . A guy from the Guardian said that was an insult to Asian people and racist ! What!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

He recognised very quickly that few business’ would touch it with a barge-poll (Wetherspoons & Dyson aside) in terms of advertising. Companies simply won’t get involved with a channel that preaches stuff like lockdowns don’t work.

That said, they are still trying to balance debate: https://www.gbnews.uk/news/football...rs-who-take-a-knee-says-harry-redknapp/105904

D

Deleted member 22389

I like GB News, seems pretty balanced to me. Productions not very good, it different to everything else out there production wise and needs time.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not watched it, doesn't sound like it adds anything to the landscape, except maybe a "safespace" for right wingers.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Today’s figures from yesterday which take some finding because oddly the GBeebies presenters and Andrew Neil are not tweeting about them much.

Across the whole day #GBNews was just behind Sky News and attracted just over half the number the top-rating BBC News channel pulled in.
The flagship GB News breakfast show almost made it to 80,000 viewers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here