Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gawd bless ESPN for trying with soccer in America.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Every one has teething problems - I think they've kissed and made up

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
ESPN will be gone from all platforms by the end of July.

Correct , the current Disney supported channels ESPN and ESPN America will disappear on 31st July. Will be replaced by a single channel , provided by BT and called ESPN on August 1st

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Be sure to let me know how it works out for you.

Oh and I see you're getting it for free. If you wasn't getting it for free, would you pay for it?
Possibly. ESPN is the only channel that shows live MLB baseball in the UK. I had ESPN before but had to drop it for financial reason. Those circumstances have since improved.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
As hysterical levels of expectation for our football team have finally left, they only go and pop up across the pond.

According to PtI this 9 game unbeaten run represents knock-out stages of the World Cup, because 'we shouldn't get carried away with ourselves'.

United States 4-3 Germany (around the time of Champions League final)
Jamaica........ 1-2 United States
United States 2-0 Panama
United States 1-0 Honduras
United States 6-0 Guatemala
Belize........... 1-6 United States
United States 4-1 Cuba
United States 1-0 Costa Rica
United States 5-1 El Salvador.

9 games 7 at home.
I know England would win them, but I'd image Wales, Ireland & Scotchland could too, and I don't see any of those reaching the knock out stages, anytime soon.

I actually got a free ticket through work to watch USA V Panama a couple of months ago in Seattle. I was expecting them to roll them over 3 or 4 nil and it should have been if it hadn't been for the woodwork. I was looking forward to seeing Dempsey play but he just looked jaded after a long season with Spurs. I was really impressed with Fabian Johnson and Michael Bradley. Those two just ran the show and were a joy to behold. It was against Panama though who just looked like a team of doorman and had they been there all night they still wouldn't have scored a goal.

The USA and Mexico really do have the easiest section to qualify for the WC from. Even though Mexico are making it tough for themselves this time.

I would expect the USA to easily make the last 16 of the next WC and be knocked out in the QF. They have nothing special up front in Altidore and E.Johnson, both very average. E.Johnson flopped in the EPL with Fulham. Altidore was pony on loan at Hull and I expect him to score between 6-8 goals this season in all competitions for Sunderland.

Possibly. ESPN is the only channel that shows live MLB baseball in the UK. I had ESPN before but had to drop it for financial reason. Those circumstances have since improved.

Thanks for replying, I watch it for nascar, college football, PTI and ATH. Unfortunately as I'm on virgin media I'll be losing the 3 channels it seems.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I remember that first game, it was probably the German national 4th team. But hyping it up is a good way to get the sport to grow over there, I don't blame them.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Cool. Enjoy! I first discovered the joys of baseball around the turn of the 21st century. I wanted to pick a team to support without being a glory hunter so I chose the Dbacks because they were a new team. I liked the name Diamondbacks too. It has a ring to it.

Im a D-Back too, last game I went to was couple years ago vs the dodgers, extra innings and 3 runs down, Tatman hit a Grand slam walk off home run to win the game, unbelievable!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But hyping it up is a good way to get the sport to grow over there, I don't blame them.
That is until such time as it all blows up in your face because of a completely wretched performance at the stated finals.

Unless that's just an English thing.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Im a D-Back too, last game I went to was couple years ago vs the dodgers, extra innings and 3 runs down, Tatman hit a Grand slam walk off home run to win the game, unbelievable!!

Ah yes, I was watching that on TV, he did his Kirk Gibson 'homage' as he rounded the bases!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
As hysterical levels of expectation for our football team have finally left, they only go and pop up across the pond.

According to PtI this 9 game unbeaten run represents knock-out stages of the World Cup, because 'we shouldn't get carried away with ourselves'.

United States 4-3 Germany (around the time of Champions League final)
Jamaica........ 1-2 United States
United States 2-0 Panama
United States 1-0 Honduras
United States 6-0 Guatemala
Belize........... 1-6 United States
United States 4-1 Cuba
United States 1-0 Costa Rica
United States 5-1 El Salvador.

9 games 7 at home.
I know England would win them, but I'd image Wales, Ireland & Scotchland could too, and I don't see any of those reaching the knock out stages, anytime soon.

what are you on about? The US have a fairly decent team, have done for years and have reached the knock out stages a few times haven't they?

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Ah yes, I was watching that on TV, he did his Kirk Gibson 'homage' as he rounded the bases!

I remember you saying you unsure about merchandise etc being so far away. Im coming to AZ for Thanksgiving in November so need anything let me know. will be in Lake Havasu, Sedona and Scottsdale.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
what are you on about? The US have a fairly decent team, have done for years and have reached the knock out stages a few times haven't they?
As said
I'm struggling to see how beating Belize equates to World Cup 2nd round/quarter finals.

I guess we should be pleased our media wouldn't fall into that trap. :jester:

I'm not saying they wouldn't, it's more of a comment about media expectation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here