Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gavin Ward referee?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He played seven & a half minutes in the end.

I was a bit surprised when the board went up with six on it, but equally, it was quite clear that he was making allowances for Stockdale's timewasting, as he kept indicating as much when he did so.

Only thing that grinds my gears slightly is the inability of many people to grasp that the added time displayed by the fourth official is a minimum, and thus if you waste time in added time, then he'll add more on. I've seen supposedly educated pundits on Match of the Day getting this wrong.

Funnier still that Rowett complained about our time wasting...then mentioned that his team would have done exactly the same in the circumstances. How can you complain if that's the case??

Do you mean to say that some of the pundits on Match of the Day are actually educated?

Wow!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Funnier still that Rowett complained about our time wasting...then mentioned that his team would have done exactly the same in the circumstances. How can you complain if that's the case??

Every team does it - always have done and always will do.

Likewise, as fans we get all irate when the opposition do it, and love it when our own do it, particularly if they push it to the point of getting a card but manage to avoid it.

All that said, (a minimum of) six minutes is exceptional. It's very rare to see that unless there has been one or more lengthy stoppages for injury.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Likewise, as fans we get all irate when the opposition do it, and love it when our own do it, particularly if they push it to the point of getting a card but manage to avoid it.

All that said, (a minimum of) six minutes is exceptional. It's very rare to see that unless there has been one or more lengthy stoppages for injury.

It was indeed. I was very surprised to see six. I fully expected five, as is standard when there's time wasting going on.

I was extremely happy to see us wasting time under the circumstances. I just think it's weird that Rowett chose to bring it up, to complain about the referee allowing it, and then in the same breath to admit his own team did it. Buffoon.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
For the first 15-20 minutes he looked half decent ref, after that it was the look at me show while he strutted his stuff.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It was indeed. I was very surprised to see six. I fully expected five, as is standard when there's time wasting going on.

I'm not so sure that refs do add that much time on for time wasting. This, combined with the reluctance of refs to book players for doing it, perhaps explains why teams are so keen to do it. I'd rather refs added the full amount of time that is wasted in each half AND booked players for doing it. That way, we might be able to watch more football (which also might not be a bad thing for us at present, because we're really rather good at it).

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

But I don't think we actually time wasted too much. There wasn't anyone going down for lengthy fake treatment. Stockdale took a bit of time with the kick but not overly so, plenty of times opposition keepers take much longer with no repercussions. The March booking was baffling. Also we are allowed to boot the ball into the stands and take it into the corner, that's not time wasting that isn't 'allowed'. Some of his decisions were crazy. Greer heads over the bar but Ward gives a freekick for a push which at most was a hand on the defenders backside and then after the subsequent freekick, Kayal gets pushed over, nothing...
Not to mention the awful decision to disallow our goal when PIG fumbled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here