Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gavin Geddes

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Blast from the past. Darren and Rene were in my year at school. Whilst not a friend, I knew Rene well, but only knew of Darren.

Same here, I was a couple of years older, but knew the sporting Newman boys. Plus a year older than them possibly, was Adrian Chipper, another talented sportsman who played in the Peacehaven team I think.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think the first time I recognised the gap between non league and even lower league football. Geddes terrorised county league defenders week on week, looked very ordinary when making the step up. Huge difference.

Gavin Geddes was also a good striker at the semi professional level for clubs in between county league and Div 4. Players at the level, not just GG, are often bloody good footballers. Usually after not making the grade at pro clubs.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Gavin Geddes was also a good striker at the semi professional level for clubs in between county league and Div 4. Players at the level, not just GG, are often bloody good footballers. Usually after not making the grade at pro clubs.

Back in the day there was really no defined non league pyramid, so players at county league level could easily step up to the bigger non league clubs. A fair few did, but county level was a good place to be. The level at Sussex league now is no better than West Sussex Prem was back in the 90s, very poor and we are expected to chuck a tenner at the gate to watch it!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did you read the comments at the bottom of the article?

I’ve now seen the family’s FB posts. Bottom line is that you should report the abuse they allege and not extort for it. Why didn’t he?

Desperate spin if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
15 appearances (9 starts, 6 sub), 2 goals in the 1993/94 season.

Scored against Reading in the FL Trophy and Wrexham in the league.

Well, thanks for that. That was at a period when through distance, poverty, young family, a more than full time job - and no internet - I was about as far as I've ever been from keeping up with The Albion. All in all, rather glad that Wiki is as ignorant as I was - not a name I'd be proud to link with The Albion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Back in the day there was really no defined non league pyramid, so players at county league level could easily step up to the bigger non league clubs. A fair few did, but county level was a good place to be. The level at Sussex league now is no better than West Sussex Prem was back in the 90s, very poor and we are expected to chuck a tenner at the gate to watch it!

I know players from different eras, including ex Albion released at age 19, who played to high level in what I still think of as Athenian or Isthmian. Far better than county standard, when they dropped to county, they outclassed the opposition. County league players I’ve known remember facing them as a bloody nightmare.

Digressing, do you know anything about the wages paid? I was told that players who moved to Burgess Hill (when their new owner came in) were paid £150 per appearance.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I know players from different eras, including ex Albion released at age 19, who played to high level in what I still think of as Athenian or Isthmian. Far better than county standard, when they dropped to county, they outclassed the opposition. County league players I’ve known remember facing them as a bloody nightmare.

Digressing, do you know anything about the wages paid? I was told that players who moved to Burgess Hill (when their new owner came in) were paid £150 per appearance.

Can't mention any defined game wages but there were a few clubs in the 90s that were paying that sort of money. I remember (naming no names) one player going to Burgess Hill and getting the promise of a newly fitted kitchen as part of his contract.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Back on topic - heartless money grabbing scum

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Some of the better players, eg Glenn Geard, were given jobs by the manager resulting in players having to move en mass when the manager changed club, or risk losing their job or just not being paid money owed. Getting paid at the end of the season was one that a lot of players fell for. Either the money had dried up or payment was conditional on re signing.

Yes, some payments were in the £100s per game, not bad for the mid/late 80s.

We’ve gone right off topic ......but far more palatable

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Some of the better players, eg Glenn Geard, were given jobs by the manager resulting in players having to move en mass when the manager changed club, or risk losing their job or just not being paid money owed. Getting paid at the end of the season was one that a lot of players fell for. Either the money had dried up or payment was conditional on re signing.

Yes, some payments were in the £100s per game, not bad for the mid/late 80s.

We’ve gone right off topic ......but far more palatable

I know a lot of players that never saw the riches promised to them.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
He was not a decent player for us and barely lasted a season, having signed after a trial spell.

All I can recall about him is that he lived literally over the road from the Goldstone, and that he was stick thin, and was as pale as a man can be - which I believe lead to a stint in The Simpsons for him:

A58872E4-6305-45AB-9F85-1F8499A67175.jpeg

543DA7F2-78D4-4A54-B837-75206A984737.jpeg

Borrowed with pride from Hiney. Please delete if not allowed.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, I saw him a couple of years back, he has a book out. Some of the stories Twister tells me about Woody are hilarious.

Woody has a book out? Any details as I reckon that would be one hell of a read given some the stories about him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I knew GG as a kid. He was part of a local group of us who would spend hours on evenings and weekends playing three and in, or headers and volleys, at Nevill rec (once we’d been kicked out of the Blatch Mill hockey goals by the school caretaker.)

Even once he was signed for the Albion he’d still turn up sometimes. I remember once kicking him on the shin, really hard (completely accidentally) and a massive egg sized lump blew up on his shin. He was bricking it about being in trouble at the club, for playing and getting hurt, outside of training.

Wish I’d kicked him harder, reading that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here