Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] gatwick drop-off fee £5

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I want to drop off at the terminal I have to use the scheme. There is no choice. The only way of not using the scheme is not dropping off at the terminal. That is a different choice that would involve parking elsewhere and using a shuttle, incurring extra time and expense for no good reason.

Shame there isn’t a banging my head against wall emoji.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Having worked for an airport for 20 years, I can tell you that most airports make a loss on the "take off and landing slots"....the low cost airlines in particular drive an extremely hard bargain, and competition amongst airports is significant. As an airport, you don't get easyJet or Ryanair to put their planes there unless you offer heavily discounted charges. The model works, though, if you can make a profit on the "commercial" side - ie, shops/restaurants and car parking. I understand why people are tempted to complain about car parking charges at airports, but the revenue from parking helps subsidise the losses made on the landing fees. The fact that (at most UK airports) landing fees are below cost means that the airline will effectively be passing on this discount to you via lower ticket prices. So - you can fly to Malaga for £50....but, as a quid pro quo, the car parking charges are a bit higher.

Yep. Last time I went to Scotland for a few days the car park cost more than the return flight.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The supermarket bag charge reflects the cost of producing bags and the environmental impact of them. I reuse the bags that I have and I also reuse the small plastic bags provided free of charge for fruit and vegetables.. I also use a backpack to carry my purchases. 5p for an item that is useful and has a cost to produce is reasonable. 5 pounds to drop someone off at an airport terminal, when that person is already paying for the flight and for any product that they buy in the terminal, is not reasonable. The "lookey-likey wanker" comment is pathetic, childish and reflects your normal persona and behaviour on this forum.

Glad to hear it. Someone somewhere along the line was always going to provide LGW drop-off-parking-dodgers with a reality check. Not going to shirk from telling the good news to cocks on here anytime soon :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If I want to drop off at the terminal I have to use the scheme. There is no choice. The only way of not using the scheme is not dropping off at the terminal. That is a different choice that would involve parking elsewhere and using a shuttle, incurring extra time and expense for no good reason.

You’re essentially saying you want to use terminal facilities for free…..but someone has to maintain them. You can pay £5, or take an extra maybe 20 mins and use the LT car park and shuttle, so really just depends on how you value your time/convenience.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Shame there isn’t a banging my head against wall emoji.

I fully understand what you're saying so don't despair. My point still remains that if I want to drop someone off at the terminal, which requires no resources from the airport specific to that process and no additional incurred cost to them, they insist on me paying 5 pounds. Legalised theft.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You’re essentially saying you want to use terminal facilities for free…..but someone has to maintain them. You can pay £5, or take an extra maybe 20 mins and use the LT car park and shuttle, so really just depends on how you value your time/convenience.

No, not at all. My passenger wishes to use the terminal facilities to catch the flight and, possibly, to buy food, drink and other items before boarding. That is all either priced into the ticket or charged separately. All I want to do is drop the passenger off so they can do what they are paying for.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

They are charging 5 pounds for something that costs them nothing but hey ho.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Glad to hear it. Someone somewhere along the line was always going to provide LGW drop-off-parking-dodgers with a reality check. Not going to shirk from telling the good news to cocks on here anytime soon :shrug:

I think you may have mental health issues. The level of anger and aggression you show on here is definitely unhealthy. Have you considered seeking medical advice or are you in denial?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Has the 5 pounds charge been introduced because of the losses caused by the pandemic?

Gatwick Airport says the charges have been introduced after the coronavirus pandemic's "devastating impact on the aviation industry", as they look to find "new revenue streams" in an effort to protect jobs and incomes, and hope it will also encourage more sustainable journeys.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I fully understand what you're saying so don't despair. My point still remains that if I want to drop someone off at the terminal, which requires no resources from the airport specific to that process and no additional incurred cost to them, they insist on me paying 5 pounds. Legalised theft.

But it’s their land, which is a resource and a resource they have to maintain and therefore incur costs for.

There is a free alternative which you have said is not convenient.... so the only question you need to ask is how much you value the convenience.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

You’re driving on to and stopping on private land……if it’s legalised theft, you’ll equally be trespassing if you don’t pay :shrug:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Who pays for the security/guards/maintans the roads?

None of that is provided specifically for people who drop off at the terminal. It is provided for shuttles, buses, coaches and all the service and maintenance transport that delivers supplies to the shops and restaurants in the terminal, delivers supplies and equipment to the service personnel maintaining the facilities and the aircraft, and for all the staff who go in and out of the terminal. None of the cost changes whether or not they charge for drop-off and pick-up.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
None of that is provided specifically for people who drop off at the terminal. It is provided for shuttles, buses, coaches and all the service and maintenance transport that delivers supplies to the shops and restaurants in the terminal, delivers supplies and equipment to the service personnel maintaining the facilities and the aircraft, and for all the staff who go in and out of the terminal. None of the cost changes whether or not they charge for drop-off and pick-up.

LOL yes, yes they are.

You have never seen any security out front watching people drop off/pick up?

You are going to properly get angry when you see the other costs coming in shortly.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, not at all. My passenger wishes to use the terminal facilities to catch the flight and, possibly, to buy food, drink and other items before boarding. That is all either priced into the ticket or charged separately. All I want to do is drop the passenger off so they can do what they are paying for.

You seem to have an extreme sense of entitlement about this. I use the airport very often, and if I want the supreme convenience of being collected right outside the front door I have no issue paying a small charge.....as paying for convenience is a common and understandable business concept. As it happens I use an alternative to the drop-off; if you feel so strongly maybe this is something to consider?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
LOL yes, yes they are.

You have never seen any security out front watching people drop off/pick up?

You are going to properly get angry when you see the other costs coming in shortly.....

The security is not there specifically for people dropping off and picking up. All airports have security personnel guarding the terminals.. In my experience, most other airports do not charge for terminal drop-off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Drop them at the LT car park…..no more difficult for you, no charge and 5 mins on a bus for them :shrug:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You seem to have an extreme sense of entitlement about this. I use the airport very often, and if I want the supreme convenience of being collected right outside the front door I have no issue paying a small charge.....as paying for convenience is a common and understandable business concept. As it happens I use an alternative to the drop-off; if you feel so strongly maybe this is something to consider?

The airports I use regularly do not charge for terminal drop-off and pick-up e.g. Faro,, Lisbon, Bordeaux, Johannesburg.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Possibly? If your passenger is as tight as you I imagine they will bring their own sandwiches and a bottle of pop to consume at the airport. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here