Gatherings of more than 6 people to be banned

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cheap and flawed argument trotted out many times before. 15% of Sweden’s population live in Stockholm. I’m pretty sure theyre not enjoying a sq Km between 25 people. In fact 97% of Sweden is uninhabited. Your figure is totally unrealistic when considering where people live. In fact I believe Stockholm maybe be denser in population than London per sq Km. Just checked and indeed it is.

Sweden is twice as big as the UK. It has 15% of the population.If Sweden had the population density of the UK it would have 130 million people instead of the 10m currently rattling around its vast expanses.

If you truly believe population density is irrelevant in the ability of a virus to pass from person to person then you truly are a bigger nutter than you are coming across. And I suspect you clear your local supermarket out of tin foil on a daily basis. Those hats won't make themselves.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Apples and, oh I dunno, conkers.

UK population density: 275 people per square kilometer
Sweden population density: 25 people per square kilometer

In case the meaning of the above has passed you by: if a virus does best by passing from person to person, it will have a rip-roaring time when people are generally closer together. If Place A has 11 times more people in an area than Place B, a virus is going to love hanging out in Place A.

What if place B got massive unpopulated areas?

popdensity.jpg

The US got 35 people per square kilometer and they are in a pretty rough spot.

Sweden is more urbanised (86%) than UK (83%). The square kilometers where no-one lives play a very small role in the spread of this virus. If you include the Norrland forests in the equation, you should also include British Antarctic Territory.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
That's interesting. I didn't know that. I thought London was one of the most densely populated cities in Europe? So what's the UK's population density per square KM if you take London out?

Actually to be fair I’ve just checked the latest London stats and there are 5700 people per sq km compared to Stockholm’s 5012 per square m. But that shows that both are pretty much comparable and dismissing the comparisons based on density is poor.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Sweden is twice as big as the UK. It has 15% of the population.If Sweden had the population density of the UK it would have 130 million people instead of the 10m currently rattling around its vast expanses.

If you truly believe population density is irrelevant in the ability of a virus to pass from person to person then you truly are a bigger nutter than you are coming across. And I suspect you clear your local supermarket out of tin foil on a daily basis. Those hats won't make themselves.

What? Am I reading what you’re writing correctly or did you misread my post? I hope it’s the latter.

Of course I’m not saying density isn’t important. Density is relevant to where people live, not vast spaces of emptiness. If everyone in a country lives in a small area and the rest of the country is completely void do you not think the virus only concentrates and is relevant where the people are? Oh dear I think it’s you acting the nutter and who has stock piled the tin foil in desperate attempts to defend a completely debunked methodology sitting in a cupboard scared the covid bogey man is coming to get you.

Last edited:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Actually to be fair I’ve just checked the latest London stats and there are 5700 people per sq km compared to Stockholm’s 5012 per square m. But that shows that both are pretty much comparable and dismissing the comparisons based on density is poor.

I had no idea Stockholm was that densely populated. So what are the Covid rates in comparison with these 2 cities?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I had no idea Stockholm was that densely populated. So what are the Covid rates in comparison with these 2 cities?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53741851

Coronavirus: Exposure rate 'similar' in London and Stockholm
12 August 2020

Exposure to Covid-19 is similar in Stockholm and London, based on antibody tests, despite different lockdown strategies, research suggests.

Sweden chose to avoid a strict lockdown, with shops and restaurants staying open.

Health experts predicted that 40% of the population in the capital, Stockholm, would have developed antibodies to the disease by May.

The actual figure was 17%, according to a review of evidence.

The research, published in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, found that 17% of people tested in April in Stockholm had developed antibodies.

ADVERTISEMENT

This compares with 17% of Londoners tested in April and May, and 5%-10% of people living in Geneva.

Sweden adopted a lighter-touch strategy for dealing with the pandemic compared with most other European countries, deciding not to institute a widespread lockdown, and putting in place relatively few restrictions.

This was based partly on the idea of letting Covid-19 sweep through the population creating so-called herd immunity. Such an approach was considered but then abandoned in the UK.

In the UK, more than 46,500 people have died in a country of more than 66 million.

In Sweden, there have been more than 5,500 deaths in a country of 10 million, which is one of the highest death rates relative to population size in Europe, and by far the worst among the Nordic nations.

Retired doctor David Goldsmith and Eric Orlowski from University College London wrote: "Lest this strategy seem like just the traditional risky Swedish exceptionalism, we in the UK would do well to remember we nearly trod the same path.

"Right now, despite 'strict (but tardy) lockdown' in the UK, and the more measured Swedish response, both countries have high seven-day averaged Sars-CoV-2 death rates when compared to other Scandinavian and European countries."

But they said that only after the pandemic and the impact of the measures taken were fully understood, after one or two years at least, would it be fair to judge which had been the right approach.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

No idea I’m afraid. Edit. Above post would suggest very comparable in two cities with almost the same density. Another support to the argument that while they have benefited greatly for all the reasons listed in my post above and we have endured strict lockdown and long term devastation to huge swathes of our capitals hospitality economy, mental health, cancelled hospital appointments etc we are more or less in the same place. Except actually they are better off because there doesn’t seem to be a second spike occurring there. I really don’t see how anyone can argue they aren’t better off than us, have had a much better time of it and look much better geared up for the next phase and long term. In fact they have a plan and we are still knee jerking with complete morons in charge. Who people will blindly follow off the cliff.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Look, I don't want to appear to be like some sort of stalker, but we do keep ending up on the same threads...

However, having crossed paths a few times now I really do think you are an ignorant, selfish tw@t...

If it wasn't for the fact you are on a Brighton forum I would think you were from some northern outpost where they point at planes!

And breathe!

thats a bit harsh mate ......by no means have i swallowed this covid BS in fact i think it's a beat up of biblical proportions but everyone is under different levels of stress / danger due to this nasty strain of flu that may or may not be man made but lets divert from the most difficult questions and line up and get injected with some potion that will probably have no positive effect whatsoever and is likely to give huge amounts of people a lot of ongoing problems ....just be kind , not everyone is as hard as you......:kiss:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Cheap and flawed argument trotted out many times before. 15% of Sweden’s population live in Stockholm. I’m pretty sure theyre not enjoying a sq Km between 25 people. In fact 97% of Sweden is uninhabited. Your figure is totally unrealistic when considering where people live. In fact I believe Stockholm maybe be denser in population than London per sq Km. Just checked and indeed it is.

The problem is basic statistics don’t tell the full story, sometimes you have to look beyond the figures.

For example after the London riots of 2011 burglary offences dropped dramatically, not because the police had been extra vigilant and arrested all the local burglars, but because the criminal minded population had looted all they needed during the riots.

Anyway, back to London v Stockholm and statistics. Stockholm (and Sweden as a whole) has one of the highest percentage of lone occupancies - for whatever reasons, economic or otherwise, Swedes like to live alone.

Now living alone means you remove much of the risk of infection to Covid, where multi-occupancy homes don’t have this luxury. Government statistics (yes that word again) appears to indicate the majority of cross infection occurs in the home!

Add to this the fact, as is quite clear from looking out your own window, here in the U.K. we seem unable to follow basic rules and apparent levels of selfishness and I’m alright Jack are at an all time high - hence we are where we are!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
thats a bit harsh mate ......by no means have i swallowed this covid BS in fact i think it's a beat up of biblical proportions but everyone is under different levels of stress / danger due to this nasty strain of flu that may or may not be man made but lets divert from the most difficult questions and line up and get injected with some potion that will probably have no positive effect whatsoever and is likely to give huge amounts of people a lot of ongoing problems ....just be kind , not everyone is as hard as you......:kiss:

Please don’t go public with this view, there will be a run on tin foil and I need some to cook my Christmas Turkey (if Christmas isn’t cancelled, that is)...

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Right.........:moo:

Read before you reply, I would.

It was your use of “in a foreign country” that caught my eye. Boris keeps banging on about a second wave in Europe, seemingly laying the grounds of blame (if we have a second wave) on those nasty Europeans - I concede not much else of your OP agreed with his thought process, apologies.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Still this?

It was not man made.

I think it’s entirely plausible that, although not wholly created by man, this strain has been genetically manipulated to be weaponised and was released entirely by accident before it was ever intended.

Certainly not a fools hypothesis, indeed plenty of reasoned and intelligent people I know have suggested this theory to me.

It’s characteristics, are particularly strange in terms of its ability to seemingly harm sections of society, yet leave others as potent carriers with little chance of serious illness - indeed it’s the perfect population control mechanism... who could possibly gain from that?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

ah of course, its all a conspiracy to make us take a vaccine jab which will control us. instead of the annual flu vaccine or other medicines for the same nefarious purpose. :ffsparr:

I think it’s entirely plausible that, although not wholly created by man, this strain has been genetically manipulated to be weaponised and was released entirely by accident before it was ever intended.

Certainly not a fools hypothesis, indeed plenty of reasoned and intelligent people I know have suggested this theory to me.

It’s characteristics, are particularly strange in terms of its ability to seemingly harm sections of society, yet leave others as potent carriers with little chance of serious illness - indeed it’s the perfect population control mechanism... who could possibly gain from that?

affecting most the same sections of society that are taking more medicines and annual flu vaccine. :ffsparr:

and who exactly would gain from this?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Please don’t go public with this view, there will be a run on tin foil and I need some to cook my Christmas Turkey (if Christmas isn’t cancelled, that is)...

Which has got me thinking. Do you think there will be a big enough window between the 2nd wave hoarding stampede and the No deal Brexit hoarding stampede for me to get a Turkey ? Or should I just buy a frozen one now, to be sure ???

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Which has got me thinking. Do you think there will be a big enough window between the 2nd wave hoarding stampede and the No deal Brexit hoarding stampede for me to get a Turkey ? Or should I just buy a frozen one now, to be sure ???

Frozen, stock up on Iceland Turkey crowns, then flog ‘em for a ridiculous mark-up on Amazon and eBay...

Turkeys could be the new rubber gloves (not literally obviously, that would look silly).

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
ah of course, its all a conspiracy to make us take a vaccine jab which will control us. instead of the annual flu vaccine or other medicines for the same nefarious purpose. :ffsparr:

affecting most the same sections of society that are taking more medicines and annual flu vaccine. :ffsparr:

and who exactly would gain from this?

I would suggest that certain governments when presented with likely unchecked population growth, resource pressure and the inevitability of associated actual conflict might possibly resort to a less ‘obvious’ form of population control... we are vastly over populated (world wide) and whether through this virus or by another means our future is entirely bleak... long term we are heading for a mass extinction, wrought mostly from our resource use and lack of future viability in our food chains etc. That and the environmental disaster that looms far more large than this sodding virus.

Who knows what dark secrets works leaders could whisper to the walls of their bowers in the bleakness of the long night?

I wouldn’t rule anything out.

Survival of the fittest indeed.

Let’s just see where ‘we’ are in twenty years. I’m pretty sure this generation buried under a mountain of useless disposable face masks won’t be revered by any survivors, indeed we’re going to be looked upon akin to the blindsided fools we are.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Frozen, stock up on Iceland Turkey crowns, then flog ‘em for a ridiculous mark-up on Amazon and eBay...

Turkeys could be the new rubber gloves (not literally obviously, that would look silly).

Great idea for an investment opportunity. Unfortunately I have quite a bit tied up in tarmac companies at the moment :wink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Given this has veered somewhat off the main topic into general Covid-19 discussions, and I realise I've played a part in that, this can now be moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

I’ve been thinking about this too.

The reaction to Covid seems to me to be massively over the top and irrational when considering there are far more aggressive killer diseases out there. It’s nasty and contributed to the deaths of old people for sure but the reactions to it, driven by highly unlikely worst case scenarios and a malleable press are bordering on hysteria.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist at all but the fact this seems to have originated in China seems to have created a level of uncertainty which hasn’t happened in better known diseases.

I don’t think there’s a mad scientist in China trying to wipeout the world but I do think the closed nature of the country has been a massive contribution to the paranoia we have seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports