Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gatherings of more than 6 people to be banned

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you didn't know who the people were that you voted for, then you either need to do a little more research before voting or suck up the results of what you've done.
I never voted for Cummings. Technically speaking I didn't vote for Boris either. At least I didn't go round accusing people who disagreed with me of believing in unicorns.
Now that certain threads - and some posters to some extent - have been shunted into the Bear Pit (quite rightly, IMHO) I have been able to un-iugnore some of the more derogatory ones. Outside of the Bear Pit they have proved to be much less aggressive and less likely to sneer. Present company excepted, etc., etc. ........ cough ..........

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
And how many wouldn't have died had they got a grip on this earlier when we could see this plague sweeping Italy and Spain - ie closing borders from the worst-hit regions, and testing at airports ? This wasn't hindsight. It was patently clear we had an unfolding continental disaster on our doorstep. Instead we cracked on with Cheltenham, and invited 3,000 fans over from Madrid when it was the Covid epicentre of Europe.

Without mentioning the fact that our "esteemed leader" didn't even feel it worth his while actually attending 5 COBRA meetings during the height of this unfolding crisis.

At some point there MUST be a public enquiry into this gargantuan clusterfvck. Ideally I'd like BJ and his cohorts strung up and publically flogged with their own shoes. Failing that, I can only hope they are at least held to account to a population these lying scumbags have failed miserably to protect through their own rank incompetence.

Cockroaches, the lot of them.

Really couldn't agree more...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
17 months ago I was having three days of Cyber Knife treatment at the Royal Marsden.
This was after having a 22mm tumor removed from my brain :eek:
Had the results from my latest MRI scan today - all clear.
Tell your Dad to be positive it helps :thumbsup:

What great news! Good to hear something so positive.

:thumbsup:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
To be honest, if it keeps me WFH for as long as possible (or forever) then I have no issue in them bringing in new restrictions. I'm all for it. If it helps reduces risk and infection numbers, then of course its the right thing to do.

That said, its just so haphazard I'm struggling to see how effective it can be. So as of Monday I can go down the pub with no more than 5 mates, but be mixing with however many others who happen to be in the bar. I'm being brow-beaten by the government into returning to the office along with all my other colleagues, at precisely the moment we appear to be embarking on a significant spike in covid infections.

They've made such a fudge of it from start to finish, I'm just wearily trying to continue to use my own common sense tbh. Because you won't get any from this mob who are supposed to be in charge.

You can sit in a room with seven colleagues working all day long, but you can't stop off at a pub for a quick pint with those same seven colleagues!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be fair to two posters I like......it was probably easy to not notice Cummings if you were in favour of Brexit; all was going swimmingly for you after Boris became tory leader, but the rest of us were trying to make sense of who was pulling the strings, saw Cummings, read up on him and realised what was on the menu.

Covid is linked to Brexit only in that the mastermind of Boris' successful power grab (becoming tory leader then winning a GE) is also the same man who is running our Covid strategy, overseeing COBRA meetings and being a general black cloud all over everything, as he has been since Boris signed his allegiance to him with (probably someone else's) blood.

You are having what is known as an apotheosis. :thumbsup:
In fairness, I doubt if many voters knew the names of their party's advisers, or of the chief civil servants, or of individual MPs/ministers' private secretaries. Who was whispering in Corbyn's ear for example (and did that individual seriously think Corbyn was listening?) Certainly nobody voted for any of those behind the scenes figures.
As for a link between Boris and Covid - there isn't one, apart from the coincidence of him being the PM when the bloody thing struck. It would have hit in exactly the same way had Kenneth Clarke been Tory leader, had Corbyn - or even the Lib Dems (shudder) - won the last GE.

.....and I think I'll save my apotheosis for later, thank you!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I haven't read the whole article but does it give an estimate as to how many people could have died with covid had we not had a lockdown from the middle of March? We've had over 40k deaths for people who've tested positive (not necessarily the cause of the death), over 60k excess deaths over that period.

If on one hand you have 3500 cancer patients to save or 50k covid related deaths, what do you do? Almost a case of Sophie's Choice.

The report covers COVID and cancer treatment and not any argument about who should be treated. I’m not either.

It identifies that will be a problem further down the line. This is just cancer and doesn’t include other life threatening conditions. Sadly another ticking time bomb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
.....and I think I'll save my apotheosis for later, thank you!

It will take you unawares, as apotheoses normally do :wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm being brow-beaten by the government into returning to the office along with all my other colleagues, at precisely the moment we appear to be embarking on a significant spike in covid infections.

This.

I’m quite happy to rejoin the big commute and travel for work when it’s safe. I’m bloody fed up at home. And I’m gagging for a full Amex to release the strain of all that.

But if I can’t have the latter because, bluntly, it will kill people then I’m ****ed if people should be forced back to the office or work travel.

If it’s safe to spend 8 hours indoors in a tower block with random colleagues and other tenants and another hour on a train then it’s safe to enjoy yourself. Or, it’s not safe to do either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
17 months ago I was having three days of Cyber Knife treatment at the Royal Marsden.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Pleased for you matey :kiss:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can sit in a room with seven colleagues working all day long, but you can't stop off at a pub for a quick pint with those same seven colleagues!

Because in the pub there are other customers and staff, going by scenes in recent months, sometimes pretty busy pubs, marquees and pub gardens. No masks, zero social distancing, two fingers to CV19 and vulnerable relatives.

Not just in the UK, for example in Catalonia too.

If only everyone, whatever their age, had taken it seriously this summer, we wouldn’t be heading to more restrictions to our lives.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Based on this, presumably you think increasing restrictions now is absolutely the right thing to be doing then (whether you agree the the specific restriction being brought in is the right one or not)?

I ask because I see a lot of people damning the imposition of restrictions now and I'm curious how many were also in the "you did it too late in March" camp.

(Note: I'm not saying we weren't too late in March, and I'm also not saying the 6-person rule is right or not)

:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Brilliant- congratulations to you :clap2:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Because in the pub there are other customers and staff, going by scenes in recent months, sometimes pretty busy pubs, marquees and pub gardens. No masks, zero social distancing, two fingers to CV19 and vulnerable relatives.

If only everyone, whatever their age, had taken it seriously this summer, we wouldn’t be heading to more restrictions to our lives.

Good points all.

Maybe my comment would have been better put if I had said 'can't stop off at one of their houses'. However, the underlying thing is the application of commonsense really. It's not about precise figures, and whether 5 is good and 7 bad really - it's all about making us aware that groups in general are not the thing.

I was actually going to go the office tomorrow for only the fourth time since a week before lockdown. But, I've decided to WFH again. And that's the sort of decision this type of move is meant to bring about I think.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good points all.

Maybe my comment would have been better put if I had said 'can't stop off at one of their houses'. However, the underlying thing is the application of commonsense really. It's not about precise figures, and whether 5 is good and 7 bad really - it's all about making us aware that groups in general are not the thing.

I was actually going to go the office tomorrow for only the fourth time since a week before lockdown. But, I've decided to WFH again. And that's the sort of decision this type of move is meant to bring about I think.

The line with the number 6 had to be drawn somewhere. Away from politics, it’s been widely praised as a sound move by Dr Chris Smith for example as hopefully heading off a devastating second wave later this autumn. Labour Peer Joan Bakewell was on R5, the interviewer tried to get her to whinge, but she was pleased on two levels - action was required to stem the cases spread, and it signals to the non-elderly population of England that they need to think about the vulnerable (like her, she’s elderly, but wants to carry on living). The feeling that 16 to 30 year olds in the last few months have rediscovered their Superman attitude to life, abandoning the selflessness they’d shown in Lockdown.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

This this and this again. When it comes to national emergencies of this magnitude the normal (by committee everything needs to be publicly opinion polled and consensus reached taking forever if even that soon) government approach is useless. Martial law must effectively be declared and rigorously enforced. Today’s selfish, narcissist, entitled generations need the rudest of awakenings. Do as you’re told. We’re not messing about because this disease isn’t I.e. why should you live, if you’re endangering others by showing such contempt towards and spreading? Make mass arrests, house in newly built open prisons but give them 2-4 year jail terms. Examples need to be set. Courts run through the night. Zero tolerance. Then, maybe then, people will start to take things seriously. The contempt needs to stop. It’s killing too many innocent people. Government needs to get a grip. Then the public might. Until then...well, we are where we are because of basically.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This this and this again. When it comes to national emergencies of this magnitude the normal (by committee everything needs to be publicly opinion polled and consensus reached taking forever if even that soon) government approach is useless. Martial law must effectively be declared and rigorously enforced. Today’s selfish, narcissist, entitled generations need the rudest of awakenings. Do as you’re told. We’re not messing about because this disease isn’t I.e. why should you live, if you’re endangering others by showing such contempt towards and spreading? Make mass arrests, house in newly built open prisons but give them 2-4 year jail terms. Examples need to be set. Courts run through the night. Zero tolerance. Then, maybe then, people will start to take things seriously. The contempt needs to stop. It’s killing too many innocent people. Government needs to get a grip. Then the public might. Until then...well, we are where we are because of basically.

Blimey PS. I usually see you as an interesting, balanced and articulate poster. But bloody hell. Mass arrests and 2-4 year jail sentences ?? This isn't Belarus.

Maybe put the port back in the cupboard and grab some fresh air. Its lovely out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here