Gatherings of more than 6 people to be banned

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Right.And all the future deaths that will be caused because Covid is now the only cab on the rank. Urgent referrals for Prostate Cancer down by 50% since April for example. Cancer hasn't gone away either.

I was dealt with immediately. Biopsies within a week of referral.

If doctots are not making referrals then that's because they aren't doing their job properly. Mine did :shrug:.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is pretty much my limit too.

Thankfully none of it will ever happen. The 6 person limit is only happening as a symbolic action rather than a meaningful one.

Glad to see you're not prepared to knock yourself out for all this nonsense.

:facepalm:

Pair of entitled idiots.PNG

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Give it another 2 weeks before full lockdown number 2.

Enjoy your freedom while it lasts.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers

If doctots are not making referrals then that's because they aren't doing their job properly. Mine did :shrug:.

Genuinely, I'm glad you received timely diagnosis/ treatment.

The figures from Prostate Cancer UK suggest a less happy picture across the country, though.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'm not denying your story, but I find these stories sometimes a little hard to believe, Facebook is full of unsubstantiated stories like this.

However I have first hand experience of someone having cancer treatment during the Pandemic that has gone ahead ...

It's a horrible thing to think or say, but maybe it was a clinical decision that treatment wouldn't help, rather than she has been left to die because of Covid.

Below is an attract from a paper published in the Lancet last month on effects of COVID on cancer treatment.
Bottom line is that at least 3000 people will die because they didn’t receive treatment due to COVID precautions.

We estimated that across the four major tumour types, breast, colorectal, lung, and oesophageal, 3291 to 3621 avoidable deaths and an additional 59 204 to 63 229 YLLs will be attributable to delays in cancer diagnosis alone as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown in the UK. The increase in deaths due to cancer up to 5 years after diagnosis ranged from 4·8% for lung cancer to 16·6% for colorectal cancer. These additional deaths are projected to occur as a consequence of the national COVID-19 pandemic measures, which have reduced the number of people seeking health care and access to and availability of diagnostic services. Our findings complement those from a study by Sud and colleagues22 showing the impact of treatment delay, predominantly surgical, on excess mortality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Give it another 2 weeks before full lockdown number 2.

Enjoy your freedom while it lasts.

Maybe, but I think unlikely

If we can just get our collective heads around the fact that we only have to rein ourselves in slighty and this comes back under control...then all will be well I think. As of now it's still very manageable and while there's probably a fair amount of over-reaction to the current rises in infections, maybe that is what is needed to get the message over

(This is with no credit whatsoever to the government by the way. They are incompetent idiots and any success we have in tackling covid is in spite, rather than because of them)

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Below is an attract from a paper published in the Lancet last month on effects of COVID on cancer treatment.
Bottom line is that at least 3000 people will die because they didn’t receive treatment due to COVID precautions.

We estimated that across the four major tumour types, breast, colorectal, lung, and oesophageal, 3291 to 3621 avoidable deaths and an additional 59 204 to 63 229 YLLs will be attributable to delays in cancer diagnosis alone as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown in the UK. The increase in deaths due to cancer up to 5 years after diagnosis ranged from 4·8% for lung cancer to 16·6% for colorectal cancer. These additional deaths are projected to occur as a consequence of the national COVID-19 pandemic measures, which have reduced the number of people seeking health care and access to and availability of diagnostic services. Our findings complement those from a study by Sud and colleagues22 showing the impact of treatment delay, predominantly surgical, on excess mortality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It makes horrendous reading, doesn't it. I feel for anyone affected by withdrawal of treatment or those dying directly from Covid.

It's a lose lose situation!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Maybe, but I think unlikely

If we can just get our collective heads around the fact that we only have to rein ourselves in slighty and this comes back under control...then all will be well I think. As of now it's still very manageable and while there's probably a fair amount of over-reaction to the current rises in infections, maybe that is what is needed to get the message over

(This is with no credit whatsoever to the government by the way. They are incompetent idiots and any success we have in tackling covid is in spite, rather than because of them)

Agreed and I firmly believe that there won’t be a full lockdown like before ..we couldn’t afford it monetarily then and we certainly can’t now .further.restrictions well that’s another matter

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

In June my dad was having dizzy spells and tingling in his arms so my mum literally dragged him to the doctors, 3 days later he was at PRH having mri's on his head.

A consultant oncologist appointment 4 days later revealed 3 tumours. Up in London last week at Royal Marsden having his mask fitted and intensive radiotherapy starts tomorrow.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I took a peak at his post (he's long been on my ignore list for persistent thundercuntery). I see he's inciting fellow citizens to commit murder by failing to make any attempt to protect the vulnerable from this lethal virus. Nice.

:facepalm:

You put him on ‘Harry’ so don’t cheat and peek.

I must admit I do that occasionally.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not denying your story, but I find these stories sometimes a little hard to believe, Facebook is full of unsubstantiated stories like this.

Sod Facebook - just start believing a few facts and personal experience. I found a suspicious growth early this year; I went to my GP who referred me to a consultant at the hospital. I was given an appointment. Shortly after 20th. March the appointment was cancelled. I eventually was seen on 31st. July, and had the thing removed a couple of weeks ago. As a matter of routine it's gone for a biopsy - haven't heard yet...... hope it's OK ......
Medical opinion on 31st. July and a couple of weeks ago was that it didn't look dangerous - hope that's right, but thirty years ago I was in a similar position - 'Nothing to worry about' - and it turned out that it certainly was! Luckily I am one of the very few to have survived that one - but my point is, that three month plus delay in getting diagnosis and treatment due to CV could easily have been fatal. For some it has been (and for some it still will be).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Genuinely, I'm glad you received timely diagnosis/ treatment.

The figures from Prostate Cancer UK suggest a less happy picture across the country, though.

Fair enough.

One wonders whether it may be people, probably not the GPs themselves (but who knows - it is largely the bottom half of any medical school class that goes on to become GPs), and instead probably administrative staff, that are contributing to the log jam as a reaction to all the changes that have come in. Not necessarily anyone's fault, and yet avoidable with better management and leadership.

Where I work our administrative staff have invented labarynthine processes to manage what are to me risk-averse and needless procedures. But they may well be justified, and they are certainly working under instruction.

This is not a great situation, certainly, but I cannot accept that the solution, offered by a minority (only, thankfully) is to treat Covid like any old flu and crack on with normality*. These are probably the same sort of folk who want an end to VAR because it has removel all the 'excitement' you get when referees make instantaneous decisions, regardless of whether the decision is correct or not :shrug:

*And at risk of repeatedly repeating myself, I am actually in favour of instant normality BUT with proper protection for the vulnerable. The 'it's only a cold' brigade don't seem to give a flying **** about those at real risk of what is unquestionably avoidable death.

And while I'm at it, I won't have it that healthcare 'has to be rationed owing to costs' meaning we can't spend more to combat Covid unless we stop treating cancer etc. The bank bail out of 2008 cost five hundred billion pounds, and that was under labour, my point being that the tories did not object to that bailout and would have done the same themselves (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_United_Kingdom_bank_rescue_package). In 2017 the annual cost of running the whole NHS was 'only' one hudred and twenty five billion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Health_Service). If the NHS isn't 'working' due to simple monetary issues then this is the consequence of a political decision to not increase funding. Now, who could possibly want to underfund the NHS for political reasons? ??? If I were a genuine tory, I certainly would.

So whether the cancellation of vital treatments is regional or national, deliberate or accidental, inevitable or avoidable, is hard to fathom at present, and for now it represents yet another political football for anyone who fancies a kick-about (facemasks for goalposts).

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

However I have first hand experience of someone having cancer treatment during the Pandemic that has gone ahead ...

It's a horrible thing to think or say, but maybe it was a clinical decision that treatment wouldn't help, rather than she has been left to die because of Covid.

A surgeon I know was bemoaning the fact that he is now having to deal with the consequences of people not seeking treatment earlier because they were afraid to go anywhere there might be COVID-19 patients. It really is tragic, and unnecessary. Junior Orange hurt his toe a week or two into lockdown, and we got directed to a nearby walk-in centre, there were barely three or four other patients there (mostly trampoline accidents), and he got triaged and x-rayed very quickly (the toe was broken) - we were in no danger of being infected.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sod Facebook - just start believing a few facts and personal experience. I found a suspicious growth early this year; I went to my GP who referred me to a consultant at the hospital. I was given an appointment. Shortly after 20th. March the appointment was cancelled. I eventually was seen on 31st. July, and had the thing removed a couple of weeks ago. As a matter of routine it's gone for a biopsy - haven't heard yet...... hope it's OK ......
Medical opinion on 31st. July and a couple of weeks ago was that it didn't look dangerous - hope that's right, but thirty years ago I was in a similar position - 'Nothing to worry about' - and it turned out that it certainly was! Luckily I am one of the very few to have survived that one - but my point is, that three month plus delay in getting diagnosis and treatment due to CV could easily have been fatal. For some it has been (and for some it still will be).

Thats absolutely shocking. Hope everything is ok chap.

There's no doubt whatsoever that this pandemic has diverted resources, and priorities, that will have had some massive knock-on effects for many patients waiting on routine and not-so-routine ops and treatments. There is nothing "hard to believe" about that whatsoever. Its a fact.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In June my dad was having dizzy spells and tingling in his arms so my mum literally dragged him to the doctors, 3 days later he was at PRH having mri's on his head.

A consultant oncologist appointment 4 days later revealed 3 tumours. Up in London last week at Royal Marsden having his mask fitted and intensive radiotherapy starts tomorrow.

Good luck to him, and thanks for posting.

One thing I have noticed with the NHS (even before Covid) is that there can be situations where nothing is done if the patient doesn't seem that bothered. I'd be limping today had I not told the bone doctor that I wanted to go skiing again 'so please fix my knee'. I am not defending that practice and yet I can understand it (in a culture of NHS rationing).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Hope you are all good now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports