Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gas Engineer needed

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Something to catch the water in after undoing the nuts would be useful :thumbsup:

One of the worst things about removing an old radiator is the black sludge that sits in the bottom of some.

I use some closed nuts that I screw on straight away then take the bugger out to the garden and undo them and let the sludge flow out. I must say with new boilers and filtering systems there is less black sludge, but it still gets in there.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Thanks Simmo

That seems to crop up a lot on google searches into this stuff! A lot suggest that at when it lights but won't stay lit. Here I don't think it's even trying. Do you know where the viewing window for the pilot light should be?

Cheers

Sorry bit late replying.
You need to lie on your belly like a snake to have a chance of seeing that.
There is a clue in the picture.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I use some closed nuts that I screw on straight away then take the bugger out to the garden and undo them and let the sludge flow out. I must say with new boilers and filtering systems there is less black sludge, but it still gets in there.

I think there called caps (3/4" bsp) but know what you mean.
Never heard them called closed nuts before :)

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think there called caps (3/4" bsp) but know what you mean.
Never here them called closed nuts before :)

3/4 caps wouldn't go onto the radiator to carry it outside, he probably means 1/2 plugs ( brass, galv or black iron)

The 3/4 caps are useful for putting on the radiator valve, type with bigger nut 3/4 , just in case someone accidentally opened the valve when the rad is removed.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
3/4 caps wouldn't go onto the radiator to carry it outside, he probably means 1/2 plugs ( brass, galv or black iron)

The 3/4 caps are useful for putting on the radiator valve, type with bigger nut 3/4 , just in case someone accidentally opened the valve when the rad is removed.

Yep you right :blush:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry bit late replying.
You need to lie on your belly like a snake to have a chance of seeing that.
There is a clue in the picture.

Hi Simmo

You have to get down on your belly to see any of it. Had a CHAP round last night to take a look. Pilot was actually burning fine the whole time - wasn't the issue at all (and now I know where it is - entirely the opposite side to the diagram!). Boiler wasn't firing, due to an rotted electric cable. He had to replace it from the spur on the wall to the unit, and all now hunky dory.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here