Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Speed dies aged 42

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Without being disrespectful to your post-please read page 1 before posting "New" threads.....

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
swanseas minutes silence just broke out into clapping and chanting of 'only one gary speed'

seemed to make it even more emotional

Agreed, possibly ranks as one of the worst observed minute's silence, but somehow appropriate and deeply moving.

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
Terrible. RIP Gary. A friend back in the day killed himself the same day I spoke to him and I didnt see any sign whatsoever so you never know really whats in somebodies head. Why is it being reported as 'no suspicious Circumstances rather than suicide?

There's the possibility it could have been an accident.

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
There's the possibility it could have been an accident.

The really sad thing about this is that people who say thet are going to end it all rarely ever do, the ones that do are people who are hiding there feelings from almost everyone, thats why it comes as a great shock to everyone :-(
RIP Gary a true gentleman and footballer :-(

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Such a footballing talent, such an emerging managerial talent, thoughts and condolences to his family and friends, RIP.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IF he did take his own life, its a terrible shame he was in such a dark place that he couldn't see himself as others saw him, that is as a young manager of great promise, a much-respected footballer and a genuinely nice bloke.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Such a shame, he was a genuinely nice man, or at least from what we saw of him. A mate of mine did exactly the same thing 3 weeks ago in exactly the same way, we all had no idea that this was coming, private people need to be encouraged to be not so private. RIP Gary, RIP Robin.

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
They should have called the games off today. No excuses. Some of his ex-team mates/friends are due to play. Madness.

Possibly this. It would have appeared that many both in the crowd & on the pitch at Swansea were hearing the news for the first time when the minutes silence was being announced. The Aston Villa keeper, who had been a team mate of Gary Speed, was in tears apparently. Not ideal circumstances for a game of football.

RIP Gary Speed.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Nobody and i mean nobody knows what the troubled mind can don to an individual other than the individual-last week i was up the Hospital having blood tests,ECG scans,blood pressure rate tests,urine and chest x-rays...

I am 38 years old,no history of heart attacks in the family,yet i had chest pains and pins and needles in my fingers and toes,i was given the all clear,yet i could have ended it,either in hospital or from the hospital car park roof.

I have a young family and i class myself as stable of mind,if yet a bit mad in certain areas.

Point being,family or health would have meant nothing to me if i felt my time was coming to an end.

God rest you and your troubled soul in peace GS- i can comment on this subject no further.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Horrible news - obviously pales into insignificance now, but he was probably doing a better job than anyone managing any team in world at this moment as well.

he certainly turned the Welsh team around into a reasonable outfit.
he also was one of the only guys in Welsh sport I would stop and listen too,great player as well
RIP Gary

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
ROBIN HITCHCOCK - The Speed of Things

All in the terror of the moment
That pounces as it open swings
A line of dots illuminated
For I have seen the speed of things

I fed you in your chair this morning
You made a mess of everything
By afternoon, you drove a sports car
You were driving at the speed of things

You held my hand when I was crying
You were allergic to bee stings
I threw some earth onto your coffin
And thought about the speed of things

I kissed you by the clear, cold river
I felt like I was growing wings
But I grew horns and found another
Oh, a girl to share the speed of things
Oh, a girl to share the speed of things

All in the terror of the moment
That pounces as it open swings
A line of dots illuminated
For I have seen the speed of things

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Such sad news. Was a Great player on the Pitch and a true Gentleman off the pitch. Thought's go out to all his family at this Time. RIP Gaz

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I hope you are in a safe place Gary away from whatever drove you to this. My thoughts to your parents and immediate family.

Stats will show you were a football legend but we dont need stats to tell us that. Television football and anyone lucky enough to watch you in the flesh will know. Everyone's reaction today shows us what kind of man you were and what legacy you are leaving behind.

In a world where footballers dont know how lucky they are to be born, your dignified way, the pride you showed playing for your country, will live on.

It is such a shame you wont be.

R.I.P. Speedo.

Last edited:

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
So sad, RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here