Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Gary Neville

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
He does talk shit on football finance, aggressively blaming the Glazer’s on Manure’s 9 years of hurt, eyes popping of his head.

View attachment 152288
He frequently blames the way they've wasted huge amounts of money on bad players while putting nothing into the facilities or paying anything out of their own pocket. And they've saddled debt on the club. Not sure how that's talking shit? We've seen ourselves at The Amex some of the gash they've signed. Fred and Wan Bissaka off the top of my head cost nearly a hundred million!

Where he looks a bit silly imho is when Salford get through nearly as many managers as Watford.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
s-l640.jpg

This is a really good read. Far more interesting than most footballers autobiographies.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He frequently blames the way they've wasted huge amounts of money on bad players while putting nothing into the facilities or paying anything out of their own pocket. And they've saddled debt on the club. Not sure how that's talking shit? We've seen ourselves at The Amex some of the gash they've signed. Fred and Wan Bissaka off the top of my head cost nearly a hundred million!

Where he looks a bit silly imho is when Salford get through nearly as many managers as Watford.

The buyout was leveraged, common in business and not uncommon in football.

Years before Neville added his complaints about the stadium, he whinged about the lack of investment in players.

They’ve spent more than any club on the planet in the Glazer’s era on players, managers shopping lists ticked. 3x that of Bayern and Liverpool, 4x that of Leicester.

Think about that, more than any club on the planet.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"kEeP pOLitICs oUt oF fOoTbaLl"

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think that's true at all, just one of those myths you see trotted out from rival fans on social media

I posted hard facts on how they’ve outspent everyone in world football. It’s been pointed out to Neville after Manure losses on Sky, he never listens.

I think I’ve offended your secret passion for the club.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The buyout was leveraged, common in business and not uncommon in football.

Years before Neville added his complaints about the stadium, he whinged about the lack of investment in players.

They’ve spent more than any club on the planet in the Glazer’s era on players, managers shopping lists ticked. 3x that of Bayern and Liverpool, 4x that of Leicester.

Think about that, more than any club on the planet.

They borrowed against the club they were buying, that is the issue. They put all the debt on United, United pays the loans, and the Glazers. They add nothing, just take.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I saw the chat with him on BBC Breakfast yesterday and he is such a brilliant talker. Despite his job with Sky Sports he mentioned clubs like Derby County, Wigan Athletic and Bury (RIP) needing money filtered down to try and save them because more clubs could go to the wall with the Covid lockdown after-effects and winter energy prices - Mansfield playing their matches at 1pm on a Saturday to save a lot of electricity and gas. Extremely sensible 👏

There isn't anyone better at saying it how it is. The Qatar World Cup should be about respecting western values rather than the other way round and visitors not being thrown in jail for drinking alcohol in public or the LBGTS group frightened of holding hands from same-sex relationships are examples.

What a breath of fresh air Neville is from the likes of Lineker, Shearer, Souness or Richards. If he wants to go into politics then good luck to him. A simply brilliant football pundit first and foremost though. :thumbsup:.

There is a minimal groundswell of negativity around the Qatar world cup , i personally think it was 100% bought and that along with the general rise of other Emirate states along with the Saudi's in standing where it comes to hosting , sponsoring and owning largely western sporting events.....it all comes down to oil money, weapons deals and the big boys pissing in each others pockets , i still find it hard to get excited about this years world cup, the poaching of Potter was just another nail in my football mojo's coffin ......Qatar 2022 meh...!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They borrowed against the club they were buying, that is the issue. They put all the debt on United, United pays the loans, and the Glazers. They add nothing, just take.

The football side spend is greater than any club anywhere ever, City and other clubs win the major prizes, some on a small fraction of ManU’s.

Yet Neville blames everything when they lose on the Glazer’s lack of financial support, on them drawing interest and dividends.

Yes, they’re unsavoury capitalists, but unlike ALK at Burnley and Hicks/Gillett at Liverpool they’ve not asset stripped. They’ve also backed a revolving door of managers more than any club.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I don't always agree with him but I really like Gary Neville. He was fantastic in his reaction to the super league. I genuinely think he cares about people as well.

I really didn't like him as a player mainly due to the Ferguson years.
However as a pundit, he is great. I like listening to his comments.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The football side spend is greater than any club anywhere ever, City and other clubs win the major prizes, some on a small fraction of ManU’s.

Yet Neville blames everything when they lose on the Glazer’s lack of financial support, on them drawing interest and dividends.

Yes, they’re unsavoury capitalists, but unlike ALK at Burnley and Hicks/Gillett at Liverpool they’ve not asset stripped. They’ve also backed a revolving door of managers more than any club.

Yes. Controversially, I would argue that part of ManUre's failure to vacuum silverware like they did under Fergie is partly due to the baleful influence of . . . Fergie (who hand picked Moyes, and was there like a great big Matt Busby, breathing down the necks of several managers).

All that yellow and green protesting is a bit old school anti-capitalist. And....there is a case for it, and a case for arguing that the problem with the Glazers isn't about investment or their dividends, it is about something to do with the soul of the club (stares into the middle distances, wipes away a small tear). I am not sure I can comment for or against these sentiments because it is not my club and I don't feel it.

So, also, I won't criticize Neville for his take, and still think he's a breath of fresh air. We can't all agree on everything.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"kEeP pOLitICs oUt oF fOoTbaLl"

Indeed.

Gary Neville using the platform that his celebrity affords him, to highlight injustice in both football governance and society, to people who might otherwise not be engaged in such things, is entirely laudable.

That fact that it so massively triggers a load of broflake gammon, is just a huge added bonus.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Supports Tottenham as well ..he’s a bore

I still like his hour with Martin Lewis on Wednesdays, as ML does all the talking! The TV reviews with good media guests on Mondays is the other highlight.

I used to like Nihal show, there were some sensitive interviews with people on the wrong side of the tracks. But in the end I simply got bored …. a middle age Nihal taking to 25 year rappers as his “mate” and insecurely banging on about his club scene days. On repeat.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I saw the chat with him on BBC Breakfast yesterday and he is such a brilliant talker. Despite his job with Sky Sports he mentioned clubs like Derby County, Wigan Athletic and Bury (RIP)....

I like GN. But, as I understand it, he didn't do much to save Bury's league status, whilst backing (then) non-league side Salford City.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I used to like Nihal show, there were some sensitive interviews with people on the wrong side of the tracks. But in the end I simply got bored …. a middle age Nihal taking to 25 year rappers as his “mate” and insecurely banging on about his club scene days. On repeat.

Well, that's the reason I like him.

His interview with Beth Orton on Monday (?) was an absolute car crash though.

I don't know. When he calls people Dude - you're a middle aged man FFS :glare:

At what age do you have to stop saying "dude" then?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here