Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Neville podcast clip - "I'm mesmerised at what I've seen today"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Didn’t like him banging on about losing our players in the comms like it was a given. It’s not, Gary. And they won’t all go at once like you were suggesting.

Again, for me that performance overall wasn’t even in our top 5 this season.

In fact, I thought we were much better away at Spurs for example…
But I'm afraid it IS a given that we will lose players, albeit not all at once. Mac Allister WILL leave. My suspicion is that Caicedo will only leave if an eyewatering fee comes in (£100m+), otherwise he'll only be here for one more season.

We just have to hope our club keeps doing things right. As long as that is the case we'll be fine, but we should acknowledge that we won't continue signing up to three world class players at once for chump change. We'll have mid table seasons, we'll have good and bad seasons, but we'll never be a club the size of Arsenal or Newcastle, never mind Man Utd or Liverpool.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
100% wrong though isn’t he - for example listen to Dunk’s post-match interview after the Man U Game. It’s the opposite - there are set patterns for virtually every situation drilled in day after day in training.

Interestingly though, going off recent interviews such as Dunk's after the MU win, there is relentless drills and practice on the training ground that we follow very clear processes when we move the ball. Redknapp said 'here's a nice clip of you playing the ball out' and Dunk replied 'that shouldn't have happened' and a perplexed Redknapp asked why not and Dunk explained in that situation the player available should have been Gilmour and that should have been the pass made.

My impression is that we are incredibly well drilled and coached so that many of our passes can be made 1 touch because in a certain pattern the player on the ball knows someone will be in a certain space - it is likely very structured. It looks like complete freedom on the ball, but that freedom comes from discipline and concentration - hence RDZ's comment after Everton, it needs a strict mentality to play like we do because whether on the ball or not, you have very specific jobs to do as play develops. Just my take on it.
Yes - I suppose I was thinking of Pervis turning up at right-wing and centre-forward. Pretty sure that hasn't been drilled into him!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But I'm afraid it IS a given that we will lose players, albeit not all at once. Mac Allister WILL leave. My suspicion is that Caicedo will only leave if an eyewatering fee comes in (£100m+), otherwise he'll only be here for one more season.

We just have to hope our club keeps doing things right. As long as that is the case we'll be fine, but we should acknowledge that we won't continue signing up to three world class players at once for chump change. We'll have mid table seasons, we'll have good and bad seasons, but we'll never be a club the size of Arsenal or Newcastle, never mind Man Utd or Liverpool.
His tone and insinuation was we’d lose all our best players this Summer in my opinion. It’s just a bit disrespectful & boring for comms to constantly just spout about us losing players for me too.

Also worth noting this place was full of everyone conceding we’d lose Bissouma ‘in next window’ for about 2 years before he actually went. Nothing is a given. I do think the same re Mac and Caicedo tho but you just never know - and I can’t see more than one going in one window - let’s hope I’m right on that.

Jul 7, 2003
Yes - I suppose I was thinking of Pervis turning up at right-wing and centre-forward. Pretty sure that hasn't been drilled into him!
Not only was Pervis popping up all over the place, Caicedo was on the left wing and centre forward at one point, Gross seemed to fill in gaps everywhere, even Colwill was pushed a long way up at times. I'm sure that when Caicedo ended up on the left wing, Mitoma was sitting in at right back.

It shows a high level of football intelligence that it isn't just the players moving into different positions but then covering for them (which is partly what went wrong on Monday). As an opposing manager, it must be really hard to plan for this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gilmour looks like he has the ability to step up, so that is slightly reassuring.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

We didn't play Moises in CM today because we needed him at RB and we still won 3-0. That is a real positive.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Yeah so much of all this. When I hear stuff like "If they are to push on they'll need to try and keep hold of their players" (or similar sentiment) from pundits/other fans it just feels inaccurate in so many ways.

Firstly it ignores the overall trajectory and actions of the club in recent years - what we're doing is working. Secondly it ignores the value in allowing players to move on in terms of attracting spectacular new talent - the 'we're your pathway to the top' model; see Moises & Alexis. Thirdly, we have learned that Bloom and Barbs are unrivalled in extracting maximum value when it does come to selling - we are rarely if ever taken for a ride. Fourthly (these keep occurring to me) it ignores the fact that the entire club is set up for success, and reduced the impact of our player development, coaching or analysis/scounting teams.

Lastly, and most importantly is the point you allude to above. We're about to finish in our highest position ever. There is simply no way for a #teamlikebrighton to sustainably and consistently compete any higher than we are. See Bloom's target of recent years (which many scoffed at) to make us a 'consistent Top 10 team'. You don't have to be a grizzly 40-something Priestfield veteran to happily state that - do you know what - that's a perfectly good enough level.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not only was Pervis popping up all over the place, Caicedo was on the left wing and centre forward at one point, Gross seemed to fill in gaps everywhere, even Colwill was pushed a long way up at times. I'm sure that when Caicedo ended up on the left wing, Mitoma was sitting in at right back.

It shows a high level of football intelligence that it isn't just the players moving into different positions but then covering for them (which is partly what went wrong on Monday). As an opposing manager, it must be really hard to plan for this.
The Caicedo run was funny - we're 2-0 up (I think) with hardly any time left and all of a sudden he's charging towards the edge of the Arsenal box. Me and junior looked at each other with a 'WTF is he doing there ???' expression and just laughed :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here