[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I asked chatGPT about the BBC (answer seems about right):

What is the global reputation of the BBC? Does it enhance or tarnish Britain's reputation on the global stage? What do you consider to be the net effect of the BBC on Britain's standing in geopolitics and the global economy?

As an AI language model, I can only provide an analysis based on the information available up to September 2021. Please keep in mind that perceptions and opinions may have evolved since then.

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) has historically been regarded as one of the world's most reputable and respected news organizations. It has a global reputation for impartiality, accuracy, and in-depth reporting, which has generally contributed positively to Britain's image on the global stage.

However, there have been instances where the BBC's reputation has been questioned due to controversies, such as journalistic scandals, accusations of political bias, and debates surrounding the license fee funding model. These incidents may have tarnished the BBC's reputation to some extent, but overall, the BBC is still widely respected globally.

The net effect of the BBC on Britain's standing in geopolitics and the global economy can be considered positive. The BBC's commitment to impartiality, accuracy, and comprehensive reporting has helped shape Britain's image as a reliable source of information and a promoter of democratic values.

In geopolitics, the BBC World Service plays a vital role in providing news and information to millions of people around the globe, including those in countries where access to independent media is limited. This helps to extend Britain's soft power and influence, as the BBC is often seen as a reliable alternative to state-controlled media in these regions.

In the global economy, the BBC's extensive reporting on business and economic affairs helps to enhance Britain's reputation as a center of expertise in these fields. By providing in-depth analysis and insights into global economic trends, the BBC also contributes to a better understanding of economic developments and promotes informed decision-making among businesses and governments.

Furthermore, the BBC's production of high-quality television and radio programs not only showcases British creativity and talent but also generates revenue through international sales and distribution. The popularity of these programs, such as dramas, documentaries, and nature series, reinforces the positive image of Britain in the global market.

In conclusion, the BBC's global reputation, while sometimes affected by controversies, remains largely positive and continues to contribute to Britain's standing in geopolitics and the global economy. By promoting democratic values, providing reliable information, and serving as a global source of news, the BBC strengthens Britain's soft power and influence on the international stage. Its quality programming not only highlights British talent but also generates economic benefits through international sales and distribution. Overall, the net effect of the BBC on Britain's standing in geopolitics and the global economy is predominantly positive, despite occasional controversies that may impact its reputation to some extent.

They do focus on the big global stories

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I see where you've gone awry. For 'big global stories', you're not looking in the right place.

You will find global news under the 'world' tab:

The article you've referenced is under the 'uk-england-cornwall' tab:

Hope this helps. Best of luck in your next google search.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So this thread has now become a platform for a couple of posters to share their dislike of the BBC. Great, thanks for that we get it now.

I always assume that these few noisy posters are the outliers in the UK as as far as I can see the BBC is still loved and respected both in the UK and worldwide.

Maybe we can make a specific thread for moaning and the BBC and whether or not you are going to pay your licence. Who knows we might even get some interesting debate about the licencing model.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So this thread has now become a platform for a couple of posters to share their dislike of the BBC. Great, thanks for that we get it now.

I always assume that these few noisy posters are the outliers in the UK as as far as I can see the BBC is still loved and respected both in the UK and worldwide.

Maybe we can make a specific thread for moaning and the BBC and whether or not you are going to pay your licence. Who knows we might even get some interesting debate about the licencing model.
You might not have acquainted yourself with The Bear Pit. Off the back of your post, I went to retrieve this for your delectation and, in doing so, found that the last post on it was four days ago:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oh
You might not have acquainted yourself with The Bear Pit. Off the back of your post, I went to retrieve this for your delectation and, in doing so, found that the last post on it was four days ago:

Yeah, I forgot about that thread. I thought it finished a year or so ago with PPF posting videos to himself and spitting bile into the void. 😂

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It's £170 per year, and a very small amount per month. Off the top of my head, I watch BBC Breakfast, Attenbrough shows, MotD, Pointless, House of Games, Doctor Who. My wife watched Happy Valley and various other things and my son still watches CBBC having been helped through the homeschooling nightmare no end by Bitesize.

That's excluding all the podcast and radio content and any other shows that I occasionally dip in and out on.

Getting all that for less than two pints of beer a month? The value is incredible for me
And let’s not forget radio five live for the football, lots of good content chatting football, Test match special, and all of the county commentary. Oh and bbc online.

Compare that to what Netflix costs a year. It is staggering really.

I simply don’t believe that all the bbc haters don’t ever listen to the radio or access bbc website.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And let’s not forget radio five live for the football, lots of good content chatting football, Test match special, and all of the county commentary. Oh and bbc online.

I simply don’t believe that all the bbc haters don’t ever listen to the radio or access bbc website.
R4 and R6 for me too.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The BBC is the greatest broadcaster in the world. It's the standard that everyone measures themselves against. If we lose the BBC, it won't be quite as bad as losing the royal family, but an integral part of this country will have gone. But then, I'm an old guy. Terry Wogan

Too often, there are complaints in the British papers about the BBC. It's too left wing, too right wing, too pro-Brexit, too anti, and so on. It's only when you go abroad and try to find out what is going on in the world that everyone falls with gratitude before the BBC News. Sandi Toksvig

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

You don’t need a licence for BBC radio do you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports