Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As has been said before, forget the legal definitions, there is a fine line MORALLY between tax avoidance and tax evasion.
I'm not going to get preachy. I used a solicitor to legitimately and legally make sure I paid the minimum of tax on an unexpected income. I didn't think it was immoral at all. I would have thought many would query that- until it affects them. I've always commented on how good us English are at hypocrisy.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As has been said before, forget the legal definitions, there is a fine line MORALLY between tax avoidance and tax evasion.

Since it appears that @worthingseagull123 has retired after posting his link to a 5 year old article, it's good to see someone else picking up the 'Boris Baton' and trying to stumble forward with it, in order to give these wokes hell :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I like Gary’s standpoint on the Tory’s immigration law and his refusal to apologise.

Loathe his standpoint on fair taxation and Qatar.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
He probably didn't expect anyone to actually click the link TBH, he was here for the performative outrage

I am outraged ;)

True I didn’t look at link.

Still we cannot take any more moral lectures from Gary.

Tax evasion of this scale is pure greed.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Time for Gary to become an employee of the BBC and not a freelancer.

I know we’ll hopefully see the licence fee go in the next few years, but lets keep things proper for the last few years of the BBC as we know it, with its highest paid presenter.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Time for Gary to become an employee of the BBC and not a freelancer.

I know we’ll hopefully see the licence fee go in the next few years, but lets keep things proper for the last few years of the BBC as we know it, with its highest paid presenter.
I think the BBC will change its funding model but I’m not expecting a full scrapping of the license fee anytime soon.

The current motives behind the scrapping of the fee are right wing, divisive, and designed to weaken the organisation. This approach rarely works.

A more measured approach that highlights the fact you do not have to have a TV license if you do not wish to but also allows for the quality of output and important domestic and global programming to be maintained is the way forward. Free of culture war, engineered divisions and extreme left or right wing meddling.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I think the BBC will change its funding model but I’m not expecting a full scrapping of the license fee anytime soon.

The current motives behind the scrapping of the fee are right wing, divisive, and designed to weaken the organisation. This approach rarely works.

A more measured approach that highlights the fact you do not have to have a TV license if you do not wish to but also allows for the quality of output and important domestic and global programming to be maintained is the way forward. Free of culture war, engineered divisions and extreme left or right wing meddling.
It is just such poor value for money. I’ll be cancelling Sky for same reason when my contract is up in the summer.

Stick to Prime, Netflix and Disney plus is all I need and wont require a licence.

With people more and more ditching live TV, for on demand, there is little future for live TV (barring news stations and live sport - all of which can be taken from an on-demand provider).

Still with not having to pay a licence, at least I don’t have to complain about my TV licence fee going towards paying Gary’s obscene salary.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is just such poor value for money. I’ll be cancelling Sky for same reason when my contract is up in the summer.

Stick to Prime, Netflix and Disney plus is all I need and wont require a licence.

With people more and more ditching live TV, for on demand, there is little future for live TV (barring news stations and live sport - all of which can be taken from an on-demand provider).

Still with not having to pay a licence, at least I don’t have to complain about my TV licence fee going towards paying Gary’s obscene salary.
I wouldn’t argue with your preferences, that’s down to you and what you like but the BBC not value for money?

I’m sorry I just can’t accept that as a universal truth.

The list of their output and resources is practically endless and far too comprehensive to list here. From shite like Eastenders to the beauty of Attenborough. From kids education mags to university resources. From R1,2,3,4,5 and 6 to regional radio fare that keeps old biddies company in their dotage. From Sorry, I haven’t a clue to the world service that has kept everyone from POW’s to insomniacs sane for 100 years.

I’ll hear many an argument but the BBC not value for money? Sorry, I can’t have that.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It is just such poor value for money.
It's f***ing amazing value for money. I'd pay the licence fee just for Radio 5, TMS and Warren and Johnny let alone everything else the BBC has to offer. Still once the right wing idiots finally get their wish and destroy one of the best institutions this country has, that is respected the world over they'll have one less thing to moan about.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's f***ing amazing value for money. I'd pay the licence fee just for Radio 5, TMS and Warren and Johnny let alone everything else the BBC has to offer. Still once the right wing idiots finally get their wish and destroy one of the best institutions this country has, that is respected the world over they'll have one less thing to moan about.
A subscription to a shit newspaper like the Daily Telegraph costs more than the Beeb.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It doesn’t seem to have stopped you complaining to this point

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The list of their output and resources is practically endless and far too comprehensive to list here. From shite like Eastenders to the beauty of Attenborough. From kids education mags to university resources. From R1,2,3,4,5 and 6 to regional radio fare that keeps old biddies company in their dotage. From Sorry, I haven’t a clue to the world service that has kept everyone from POW’s to insomniacs sane for 100 years.
I’ll hear many an argument but the BBC not value for money? Sorry, I can’t have that.
Of course the government have been eroding the by stealth in freezing the licence fee. Local BBC is suffering as is the world service, a great source of British soft power.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here