Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can't understand why this thread is still classified as 'football' (if indeed it ever should have been). Hopefully soon in the Bear Pit - Bozza's Albion only filter is a good idea, but there are interesting threads on other topics too. Still, I can just carry on ignoring this thread, as I have been doing for the last couple of days anyway.
Wonder what it'll take to get it shoved into there.......?
There is nothing in this thread which warrants it being moved to the Bear Pit. No insults, no ad hominem attacks, or even trolling.
Yes it makes for uncomfortable reading, but this government’s actions make for uncomfortable living right now.
Five years ago the Tories tried to deliberately change the rules on Caribbean people living here, and deported people who had never lived in Jamaica or other islands nearby.
It is called the Windrush scandal. Amber Rudd was forced to resign over it, but she wasn’t the instigator. Theresa May introduced the Hostile Environment but even she abstained from the vote last night.

If you don’t want to know what’s going on in this country, then ignore it, turn a blind eye, but don’t complain when some of us want to return to sanity.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So you just popped into the thread to share your disapproval of it and let us all know that you are continuing to ignore it. 🤣

Thanks for that.

Gotta love the social media age.
No problem. :)

It's as good a contribution as many of the collection of outrage on one side, and virtue signalling on the other, posts which make up a good proportion of posts on a thread which goes political like this.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
121E4147-E494-45E4-8CFE-A5DA1EF6C4F9.jpeg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

It's as good a contribution as many of the collection of outrage on one side, and virtue signalling on the other, posts which make up a good proportion of posts on a thread which goes political like this.
You are aware it’s not obligatory to partake in any of the threads on here?

Anyway, I can see you’re here to try and drag this into the pit. Where you would still no doubt be involved. So I’ll take your posts as commentary rather than participatory. And ignore them.

👍

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

You do yourself a disservice GT. When it comes to outrage and virtue signalling your post stands head and shoulders above the others on this thread. :lolol:

"I am ignoring this thread but I want it sent to the bear pit!!" Shades of Mary Whitehouse right there mate.

Anyway I will let you get back to the sterling job of ignoring this thread you have mostly done :lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There is nothing in this thread which warrants it being moved to the Bear Pit. No insults, no ad hominem attacks, or even trolling.
Yes it makes for uncomfortable reading, but this government’s actions make for uncomfortable living right now.
Five years ago the Tories tried to deliberately change the rules on Caribbean people living here, and deported people who had never lived in Jamaica or other islands nearby.
It is called the Windrush scandal. Amber Rudd was forced to resign over it, but she wasn’t the instigator. Theresa May introduced the Hostile Environment but even she abstained from the vote last night.

If you don’t want to know what’s going on in this country, then ignore it, turn a blind eye, but don’t complain when some of us want to return to sanity.
It has been a very interesting and most informative thread carried out in real time. The fact is it about something that many people are interested in and may be an important turning point in UK politics adds to the interest.

I think that 90% of the interactions have been civil and reasonable, a well carried out discussion in my view. And all this despite a few antagonist and overly argumentative posts (some from me and for those I apologise)

Why on earth someone feels the need to jump on a thread to express their indignation about its existence is beyond me (and beyond snowflakey IMHO). Or is this the way things work in the modern era? Should I be jumping on the Wordle thread and expressing my indignation because i have stopped playing it and therefore so should everyone else??

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I recall a comedian comparing people that rail against things they see on the internet that don’t affect them at all and that they don’t like, as somebody seeing an advert on a notice board for guitar lessons, ringing the number and shouting down the phone “BUT I DON’T WANT f***ing GUITAR LESSONS”!!!!

😂

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
This was a genuine democratic election although I concede that his thugs were battling communist thugs.
Wow just wow!

If you think you can run a genuinely democratic election with 50,000 SS and SA armed paramilitaries operating in the Prussian part of Germany alone, then I will leave you to your dangerous (but perhaps not lazy) imaginings.

Oh and less of the young, I'll be 61 next birthday.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

p.s. you might prefer the Anne Frank Foundation's characterisation of the election...look it up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You do yourself a disservice GT. When it comes to outrage and virtue signalling your post stands head and shoulders above the others on this thread. :lolol:

"I am ignoring this thread but I want it sent to the bear pit!!" Shades of Mary Whitehouse right there mate.

Anyway I will let you get back to the sterling job of ignoring this thread you have mostly done :lolol:
Oh dear. The Mary Whitehouse gambit. Desperate!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I recall a comedian comparing people that rail against things they see on the internet that don’t affect them at all and that they don’t like, as somebody seeing an advert on a notice board for guitar lessons, ringing the number and shouting down the phone “BUT I DON’T WANT f***ing GUITAR LESSONS”!!!!

😂

Yes I have seen that too, very funny and spot on. Of course it is now going to annoy me until i remember who it was.

Edit - Ricky Gervais

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wow just wow!

If you think you can run a genuinely democratic election with 50,000 SS and SA armed paramilitaries operating in the Prussian part of Germany alone, then I will leave you to your dangerous (but perhaps not lazy) imaginings.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

p.s. you might prefer the Anne Frank Foundation's characterisation of the election...look it up.
I don't know that much detail about what you are discussing here but it strikes me as about semantics as much as anything else. ON the one side you are decrying those elections as undemocratic, and you make excellent points about this and it is hard to disagree.

The other side of the argument seems to be saying that Hitler used the mechanism of democracy to gain power - even if the evidence suggests that these were bastasrdised to the exend that allowed him to do it.

The nuance of this discussion isn't about the actions of the Nazis at this time more about the nature of democracy. The central question is really should the mechanism of democracy still be considered democratic if it is manipulated and bastadised for someone's own gain.

Maybe the answer is that the mechanism does still remain but it becomes undemocratic. From where i am sitting both sides of the argument are compelling (FWIW neither are 'dangerous')

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
My legal qualifications are minimal, so I’ll let this barrister explain it for me.

That’s an opinion piece on the legality of proposed Gvt legislation and arguably very valid. However, the ‘Bill’ that he refers to is now law so it’s out of date.

In summary of your previous post showing the constructed argument that it is not illegal to seek asylum

1. It is NOT illegal to seek asylum
2. It is not illegal to cross the Channel

However, it is illegal to enter the UK without valid documentation under the UK law as amended in 2022 even those seeking seeking Asylum because you can not seek Asylum until you enter the Country and those arriving with the intention of that do not have documentation . This is not just semantics, it is the law.. a perfect catch 22… that in principal could result in prosecution.

The Government (all governments in fact have passed laws contrary to International law - and we frequently passed laws that were questionable under European Law in particular).

Whether you agree with the laws of the land or not or argue there could be a case that UK legislation is contrary to international human rights, under UK law, while it is not illegal to apply for Asylum, it is very very difficult if not impossible for most people to apply for Asylum without having got into the UK first illegally ( ie without contravening border control legislation as defined by the NABA 2022. )

The 1951 Convention is just that, a Convention and a bit of a toothless tiger on its own when it comes to adjudicating on human rights - The only international Court (ICJ) mainly acts as a adjudicator between States party to a dispute between each other or as an advisory to other UN bodies - many Countries ( including Qatar!) are signatories to international conventions including the 1951 Convention but when It comes to enforcement, the infrastructure aren’t really there and money often speaks louder than words as we see with sportswashing.

(FWIW - I have no issue with BBC presenters posting tweets on their personal twitter account on whatever they like and think it’s a ridiculous overreaction by all parties arguing for dismissal of people that do and even more bizarre that a story like this has dominated the front pages for days!)

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Wow just wow!

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

And you look this lot up:

These were the people the SS were concerned with.

Again, dangerous and lazy naive historic relativity from yourself. For the time, these elections were seen as democratic. Any historian will tell you that.

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
And you look this lot up:
Firstly, if you think the SS and the SA were only concerned with the Red Front, then you must be wilfully ignoring their attacks on Jews, trade unionists, gays, social democrats...I could go on, but I hope you get the point.

Secondly, the existence of the Red Front and other militant anti-Nazi organisations doesn't prove the democratic nature of the parliamentary elections. Rather it is evidence of the impossibility of such democratic parliamentary elections.

The Trump slur is just as silly as your earlier attempt at ageism. If you want a real insight into how Hitler and the Nazi party gained power, go and have a look at Heartfield's 'Millions stand behind us' poster.

Louis MacNeice

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
I don't know that much detail about what you are discussing here but it strikes me as about semantics as much as anything else. ON the one side you are decrying those elections as undemocratic, and you make excellent points about this and it is hard to disagree.
This is why I referenced the Anne Frank Foundation, which describes the election as legal.

Why I have used the word dangerous is because describing the Nazi's establishment of a government in early 1933 as democratic risks simultaneously legitimising Nazism and demonising the German electorate; both of which are obviously dangerous and just plain wrong.

Time for bed - Louis MacNeice

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here