Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Doesn't mean its not real or its something instigated by the tories, problem with that shtik is it began in the USA.

I watched this a week or so ago. I found it an interesting take on the origins of the 'culture wars'.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The irony of this monologue was that LBC went to the news after it and described the small boat route as illegal. The idea has been successfully ingrained in people's minds as truth and forms the basis for the government's policy. Sadly the basis for the policy is false

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Is he admitting the Tories have pushed around the BBC?

Or is he calling social media users and journalists “privileged and overpaid elites”?

The actual state of the Tory party. F***ing hell

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Sorry I relied before seeing this. This is obviously quite right. It is remarkable that people who get such basics wrong tell others to have a history lesson. But that is what the messaging is all about. Sadly it is working.
Whether comparing language or policy - as a Jewish person I still find it offensive-

People Seem to think that
I agree with the Gvt immigration policies, I don’t and that wasn’t the point of my post but as a Jewish person who’s grandparents suffered terribly under Nazi rule, I have a right (without the pile on by people who have no experience of that) to find comparisons of UK Gvt language to that period of history belittling the horrific extermination of millions of Jews. That’s my personal point of view based on very specific experiences.

Like I said, the finger should be pointed at the Assad regime other regimes around the world who are responsible for modern day genocide and ethnic cleansing which is why we have a refugee crisis in the first place and 100 million people worldwide who are forcibly displaced from their homeland - 1% of the world’s population.

But we remain silent because when it comes to oil producing regimes (in particular) and/or geo- politically advantageous territories, arms deals etc, it’s more expedient to live with the fall out of refugees than accept responsibility for our role in enabling refugee crises in the first place.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Squeezing a bit more out of it. Tomorrow’s Mail. The answer, for those at the back of the class is she said it on the BBC, he said it on Twitter.

407EE904-ACED-4E1B-938E-7C4CC936B165.jpeg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Whether comparing language or policy - as a Jewish person I still find it offensive-

People Seem to think that
I agree with the Gvt immigration policies, I don’t and that wasn’t the point of my post but as a Jewish person who’s grandparents suffered terribly under Nazi rule, I have a right (without the pile on by people who have no experience of that) to find comparisons of UK Gvt language to that period of history belittling the horrific extermination of millions of Jews. That’s my personal point of view based on very specific experiences.

Like I said, the finger should be pointed at the Assad regime other regimes around the world who are responsible for modern day genocide and ethnic cleansing which is why we have a refugee crisis in the first place and 100 million people worldwide who are forcibly displaced from their homeland - 1% of the world’s population.

But we remain silent because when it comes to oil producing regimes (in particular) and/or geo- politically advantageous territories, arms deals etc, it’s more expedient to live with the fall out of refugees than accept responsibility for our role in enabling refugee crises in the first place.
I can understand why you would find policy comparisons offensive, as you say his would belittle what happened. It is the language part that i find more difficult to understand? Do you agree that the language is not dissimilar to that of 1930's Germany? Why is a view that their are similarities so insulting to you?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Is he admitting the Tories have pushed around the BBC?

Or is he calling social media users and journalists “privileged and overpaid elites”?

The actual state of the Tory party. F***ing hell

Farcical, with zero self awareness.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Squeezing a bit more out of it. Tomorrow’s Mail. The answer, for those at the back of the class is she said it on the BBC, he said it on Twitter.
And he was dropped by the BBC, but she wasn't. Had she been dropped, for clarifying something from a legal point of view, I imagine she'd have got some support from colleagues too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And he was dropped by the BBC, but she wasn't. Had she been dropped, for clarifying something from a legal point of view, I imagine she'd have got some support from colleagues too.
As I said on the other threads, complaints were made to Refuge from dv victims. It is Refuge who have taken action. Bruce is still in a job.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can't understand why this thread is still classified as 'football' (if indeed it ever should have been). Hopefully soon in the Bear Pit - Bozza's Albion only filter is a good idea, but there are interesting threads on other topics too. Still, I can just carry on ignoring this thread, as I have been doing for the last couple of days anyway.
Wonder what it'll take to get it shoved into there.......?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Re the Law -

Since the Nationality and Borders Act 2022 from 28 July last year (amending the Immigration Act 1971) it’s become much harder to enter the country legally, anybody entering the UK without a Visa and claims asylum will be in breach of Section 40 - anyone that requires leave to enter the UK (ie through a visa, citizenship or passport etc) and knowingly enters the UK without such leave, under the NABA, 2022 commits an offence. However, it is not possible to claim asylum from outside the UK, and there is no visa which allows people to enter the UK in order to claim asylum - Under NABA
this offence carries a maximum sentence of 4 years (5 years for people who re-enter the UK in breach of a deportation order).

Of course it is not illegal to claim asylum but the only way to do it (unless through a refugee resettlement programme) is to enter the country without documentation by arriving in a small boat or the back of a lorry and then make the claim once in the UK.

The misunderstanding is on the side of those that don’t realise that you have to have already broken the law by arriving in a Country without documentation and getting into the UK illegally since you can’t apply for asylum from outside the UK and there are no visas for Asylum seekers - and conflating that with the legality of then claiming asylum. Two separate issues.

When we refer to ‘illegal immigration’ we refer to people entering the Country illegally not the process of applying for Asylum once they arrive.

My legal qualifications are minimal, so I’ll let this barrister explain it for me.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I can understand why you would find policy comparisons offensive, as you say his would belittle what happened. It is the language part that i find more difficult to understand? Do you agree that the language is not dissimilar to that of 1930's Germany? Why is a view that their are similarities so insulting to you?
I don’t really need to justify how I feel - it’s personal.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Can't understand why this thread is still classified as 'football' (if indeed it ever should have been). Hopefully soon in the Bear Pit - Bozza's Albion only filter is a good idea, but there are interesting threads on other topics too. Still, I can just carry on ignoring this thread, as I have been doing for the last couple of days anyway.
As Rio Ferdinand would say 1 billion per cent Gary

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So you just popped into the thread to share your disapproval of it and let us all know that you are continuing to ignore it. 🤣

Thanks for that.

Gotta love the social media age.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What it would take is for it to descend into name calling, baiting and bullying. So far as I know, this has been nothing but an interesting, reasoned debate with no such idiocy.

It’s been a big news story and continues to be rather interesting.

Don’t fret, like nearly every single thread on here, it’ll fizzle out when people move on. No need for anyone to come in and demand it’s removal, is there?

As always, nice of you to pop your head in and let us know you’re still ignoring the thread 😞🤣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here