[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
no, otherwise they would have spoken up sooner. Do you really think they all agree with and support Lineker? Ironically, too afraid now to say ' actually I'm not with Gary on this one'.

Motivation doesn't matter. Solidarity matters. An attack on one worker's free speech is an attack on everybody's.

All stand together and all will benefit. Or, as beloved old leftie, Stephen William Bragg put it:

"There is power in a factory, power in the land
Power in the hand of the worker
But it all amounts to nothing
If together we don't stand
There is power in a Union"

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Let's remind ourselves what the Blue Team bought
"From the original £300, you've lost money on every single item."

"You were given a nautical challenge. You decided to question and reject the tried and tested flagship model Ocean Lineker in favour of an abstract from the supposedly popular designer S. Topthe Boats. Not quite as loved by the masses as you thought since it was disqualified before it even launched at auction." (Blue Team laugh between themselves)

"And then it got worse as you went with your expert's bonus buy of Stanley's medal." (presenter shakes head)

"Now I should tell you that minus £299 hasn't been a winning score before, but you never know. Not a word to the Red team."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IMG-20230311-WA0000.jpg

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Motivation doesn't matter. Solidarity matters. An attack on one worker's free speech is an attack on everybody's.

All stand together and all will benefit. Or, as beloved old leftie, Stephen William Bragg put it:

"There is power in a factory, power in the land
Power in the hand of the worker
But it all amounts to nothing
If together we don't stand
There is power in a Union"

Well, if you quote Billy Bragg that just about says it all.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Nice to see the Football presenters uniting in this way. Another example of 'stars' believing they are much more important than they really.
There are over 50 million people in the UK so there will be many others willing to take their places. I personally would love to see some fresh faces.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
one for the wise old heads then, where does this end?

no footy on the beeb, who would take MOTD now?

or heads to roll at the beeb?
That I really don’t know …a compromise? Not sure how that can happen as things stand ….if one side does back down then my feeling right now it would be the bbc ….just make it clear what exactly the policy is over everyone contracted in whatever way they are ‘employed’ …then if they don’t agree then don’t work for them …..
Who would take MOTD right now..hmm interesting question…..not sure….ask again in a month and maybe that would change ..once the furore has died down I bet someone would jump at it…maybe someone left field (or should that be right lol) who has no allegiance to any of the current crop

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Final Score now replaced by The Repair Shop on BBC1 at 1630.
Even Jay Blades is going to struggle with restoring a significantly damaged national treasure in 50 minutes.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Nice to see the Football presenters uniting in this way. Another example of 'stars' believing they are much more important than they really.
There are over 50 million people in the UK so there will be many others willing to take their places. I personally would love to see some fresh faces.
TV? How hard can it be?! LOL

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Any two Albion fans in Elland Road fancy doing some Radio Commentary? Can I suggest for balance one reports on attacks from the right and the other from the left?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Would have been interesting if Lineker's political stripes were of a different colour and he'd tweeted in support of Sunak's plans and had got dropped as a result. Doubt we'd have seen the scores of presenters dropping out in defence of his right to free speech.

This has little to do with the concept of free speech and rather what kinds of free speech are acceptable. Indeed, we'd probably have seen Wrighty, Shearer and Scott all vying to jump in his grave if he'd espoused pro-government views and was dropped.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Would have been interesting if Lineker's political stripes were of a different colour and he'd tweeted in support of Sunak's plans and had got dropped as a result. Doubt we'd have seen the scores of presenters dropping out in defence of his right to free speech.

This has little to do with the concept of free speech and rather what kinds of free speech are acceptable. Indeed, we'd probably have seen Wrighty, Shearer and Scott all vying to jump in his grave if he'd espoused pro-government views and was dropped.
Absolutely 100% this.

Reactions: abc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports