[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I wonder if Barber is thinking of doing the same as this club?

If he did, would BBC supporters boycott the Palace game?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
many people are indignant that our hard won freedoms are being eroded
How does a very well paid freelance ex-footballer having a contract dispute impact on your freedoms?

If the presenter of, say, “The One Show” tweeted a very anti Labour comment, and was suspended for breaching impartiality rules, would you be spitting feathers then too?

People are just using this to further their own political agendas, it’s tiresome.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I wonder if Barber is thinking of doing the same as this club?

If he did, would BBC supporters boycott the Palace game?

A PL club doing it would be a huge statement, but one which would fit in with the values of our club IMHO

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
also, the right wing johnies have no logical validity, that is why there are so few of you
Few of us? I’m mixed race, do a relatively low paid job in the arts sector and in my mid thirties.

This is exactly the rubbish I mean. You challenge people’s black and white views and they just leap to “right wing johnie” or “lefty loonie”.

It’s frankly impossible to have sensible discourse. And with that, I’ll end it there.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
How does a very well paid freelance ex-footballer having a contract dispute impact on your freedoms?

If the presenter of, say, “The One Show” tweeted a very anti Labour comment, and was suspended for breaching impartiality rules, would you be spitting feathers then too?

People are just using this to further their own political agendas, it’s tiresome.
seriously?

how does a government controlled BBC impact my freedoms?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A PL club doing it would be a huge statement, but one which would fit in with the values of our club IMHO
Yeah I would love to see it but I think PL clubs are too big and too corporate, Brighton included, to get involved. Would be happy if they proved me wrong.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Few of us? I’m mixed race, do a relatively low paid job in the arts sector and in my mid thirties.

This is exactly the rubbish I mean. You challenge people’s black and white views and they just leap to “right wing johnie” or “lefty loonie”.

It’s frankly impossible to have sensible discourse. And with that, I’ll end it there.
that's exactly what i'm on about, there is no logical comeback

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Just thinking

I listen to JP and Warren in the afternoon on BBC Radio Sussex, whilst checking the live football scores on the BBC App

Is it all going down today?

Wouldn't mind a bit if it did

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I’ll stand corrected if you can find where I said I wrote that excerpt myself. But sneering a side, it succinctly expressed by own view perfectly so threw it into the late night NSC and waited to see what people said before inevitably someone ticked me off for plagiarism. Which is by the by really as this is NSC, not Cambridge Exam board. Sorry there’s no prize. Regardless, a leading Guardian journalist expressing having the same thoughts and opinion as mine is nice to read. Means I’m not ‘wrong’ as a few critics on here have said I am.
:lolol: Get over yourself. You posted under your name with zero indication that it was from anywhere else other than your keyboard. Don't try and turn it round with your 'sneering' and 'inevitable' nonsense.
This is, as you pointed out, NSC. All kinds of shit gets posted but I like to think most of us, by and large, are up front enough with our posts. Otherwise, what would be the point? Might as well get Chatgpt to write them all.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Wrighty doubling down

"If they get rid of Gary Lineker, I'm out, I'm gone, I'm not staying there," he said on the latest edition of his podcast Wrighty's House.

"On his own platform, he should be able to say what he wants to say," the former Arsenal player said.

Wright also said he agreed with Lineker's tweet about the government's new asylum bill.

He said the row was "the prefect distraction for this government".

"They've got no empathy" and "the most vulnerable ones are always the ones that suffer," he added.

"He [Lineker] is so right with what's he's saying."

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Yeah I would love to see it but I think PL clubs are too big and too corporate, Brighton included, to get involved. Would be happy if they proved me wrong.
One problem is that if the club made a statement on this issue then a precedent is set where they will be expected to do the same on many others, current and future. Not really where a football club or any business wants to be. GL can share his views as one individual and its his choice if he wants to create controversy. The Club is an entity representing many people from staff to fans and should probably stick to football and keep out of politics.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just thinking

I listen to JP and Warren in the afternoon on BBC Radio Sussex, whilst checking the live football scores on the BBC App

Is it all going down today?

Wouldn't mind a bit if it did
Gawd! - as one who relies on radio to follow the Albion on matchdays, I really hope Johnny and Warren haven't caught the bug!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I haven't read through many of the posts on this thread, so apologies if this has already been said.

My point is that the BBC is a fine institution with noble aims.
However the problem with the BBC is the decision makers who have now been placed in charge of it.
It seems to me that the bigger picture is to get the public to turn against the BBC. When in reality we need to get rid of those currently running it, wrap the BBC in cotton wool and start investing in it.
It's a bit like a police force being a blessing to us all, - unless it's being run by dodgy coppers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports