Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Does anyone know the political views of that bloke who hosts all those train programmes on the bbc?
Not seen it but would imagine he likes trains, which can certainly be seen as not only impartial (he LIKES them!) but also a criticism towards your government since they appear not to like trains.
Consider him dead.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sounds like this Colin Murray fella should be suspended too then?
It’ll be someone who becomes the next target of the Tory mouth breathers after Lineker is gone, so odds on it’ll happen eventually.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It’ll be someone who becomes the next target of the Tory mouth breathers after Lineker is gone, so odds on it’ll happen eventually.
So you’re saying he’s jumping before he’s pushed type thing?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No Fighting Talk with Colin Murray on 5Live. No notice, just played a podcast instead. BBC commentators dropping like flies. Will there be live sport at 3:00?
5 Live this afternoon is apparently a doubt. I wonder if JC and Warren will be on Radio Sussex.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
so no footy on the beeb then, just radio left.

someone's gonna get told of for this.

oh, and a biased public broadcaster, we need an adult in the room

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Didn't dismiss the views of NSC at all, just saying we may not be representative of all Brighton fans. I've no idea of course what all Brighton fans believe or feel. I was just relaying the pub conversation as an example of 1. An alternative view and 2. This view appeared to point to little of the outrage that some on here are feeling. Not sure why you are 'calling BS' on that'?
I often switch the subject away from Politics if in the company of gammony bellends, maybe that was the reason chaps wanted to focus on his merit or lack of as a presenter?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I’ve read the thread. I support Lineker. I’m pointing out how frenzied this place is. It becomes an echo chamber because people who feel differently are shot down immediately and labelled.
many people are indignant that our hard won freedoms are being eroded

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I’ve read the thread. I support Lineker. I’m pointing out how frenzied this place is. It becomes an echo chamber because people who feel differently are shot down immediately and labelled.
also, the right wing johnies have no logical validity, that is why there are so few of you

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I presume you mean employers.

You do know he is a freelance and not a BBC employee.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
Yeah and yeah
I said "sacked or suspended". In this case he was suspended but when you can get suspended for not agreeing with your government, then the step to getting sacked is not far away.

It’s a quite simple free speech argument. There's no hate crime involved. There's no incitement for violence. It is Gary Lineker expressing his opinion on a government decision. And getting suspended for it. It’s pretty much as totalitarian and anti-free speech it can get. No matter how much he earns.
This is from bbc guidelines.

"There are also others who are not journalists or involved in factual programming who nevertheless have an additional responsibility to the BBC because of their profile on the BBC. We expect these individuals to avoid taking sides on party political issues or political controversies and to take care when addressing public policy matters."

So it’s not a simple free speech argument. It’s a grey area for the bbc which they are clumsily wading through.

As for Lineker getting sacked - it’s conjecture atm. I suspect he’d be more likely to walk away.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here