Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
For what its worth, this was the subject of debate amongst last night's crowd in our local pub. Apart from one person who was incensed by the BBC, no one cared about the politics but everyone wanted Lineker sacked because he is an overpaid twatt.
And that's the level of debate for so many people (plenty of idiotic posts on here say the same) - I don't like him or he's paid too much therefore he's wrong. NO ONE CARES if you like him or not or whether you think he's overpaid. Either you agree that anyone who appears on BBC has the right to free speech or you don't. And if you don't, you are going to have to censor a whole lot of people unless you choose only those you don't agree with.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Has it come to this?

Bargain Hunt is quite apt.

It's probably what the BBC will have to do to replace some of its highly-paid presenters.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
And that's the level of debate for so many people (plenty of idiotic posts on here say the same) - I don't like him or he's paid too much therefore he's wrong. NO ONE CARES if you like him or not or whether you think he's overpaid. Either you agree that anyone who appears on BBC has the right to free speech or you don't. And if you don't, you are going to have to censor a whole lot of people unless you choose only those you don't agree with.
This is the crux of it really. Free speech works both ways. I think he has been harshly treated but I wonder if the reaction on here would be the same if a “celebrity you don’t like” came out with a pro Tory message.

Frankly I suspect not, because this place is rabid at times.

Reactions: abc

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Fantastic to dismiss the views of NSC and then say everyone in a pub felt the same. I am calling BS on that.
Didn't dismiss the views of NSC at all, just saying we may not be representative of all Brighton fans. I've no idea of course what all Brighton fans believe or feel. I was just relaying the pub conversation as an example of 1. An alternative view and 2. This view appeared to point to little of the outrage that some on here are feeling. Not sure why you are 'calling BS' on that'?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Strange to think that NSC, a forum of mostly strangers brought together by support of the Albion, is less representative than one poster and their group of friends down the pub.
But then I didn't say that, because yes that would be strange!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Could we confirm that having prominent people removed from their jobs for valid criticism of the government is absolutely nothing like Germany in the 30s?
the question is, what is the difference in the language employed by braverman and 30's germany?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Apart from one person who was incensed by the BBC, no one cared about the politics but everyone wanted Lineker sacked because he is an overpaid twatt.
In that case everyone in your local boozer, apart from at least one person, is completely getting the wrong end of the stick.

It doesn't matter if Lineker is an overpaid twat or an underpaid genius, he is being told he can't voice his opinion outside of the BBC, despite it seemingly being the case that he should be able too.

In addition, and more worryingly, that decision by the BBC may have come about after they were lent on by the Government.

This isn't a case of a controversial speaker being deplatformed by a private/independent organisation, through there own commercial decision. It's, potentially, the Government having a say who can work for the BBC.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He is suspended. This 45 page thread is about him and his suspension.
He is suspended. This 45 page thread is about him and his suspension.
The bbc didn’t use that inflammatory word but fair enough it amounts to suspension. Where did sacked come from though? You might have the exclusive there.

But anyway…I value free speech but this isn’t a simple free speech argument.

His employees feel he has responsibilities as a face of the company . Not saying I agree with them, but don’t think Lineker warrants being a poster boy for free speech either.

On a broader level, I think the bbc pays Gary Lineker far too much full stop.

This at a time when it is decimating its local services which are vital to communities.

So yeah, imo it would be a good time to move on from Lineker anyway.

In an ideal world that license fee money would be rediverted to local radio.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"I think MOTD will be better without pundits" is the f***ing stupidest take possible here so well done some of you.
Yep 100%. As I said, it's like dismissing news of the Russian invasion of Ukraine because you once went there and didn't like the food.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
This is the crux of it really. Free speech works both ways. I think he has been harshly treated but I wonder if the reaction on here would be the same if a “celebrity you don’t like” came out with a pro Tory message.

Frankly I suspect not, because this place is rabid at times.
neil? portillo? paris? clarkson? sugar?

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
In all seriousness though, the entire football broadcasting world has basically come out in Gary’s defence. Knowing that you peers and colleagues have your back in that way must feel f***ing awesome.
I suspect there's a lot of disingenuous support among his peers. Seems to me that a lot of these presenters, pundits etc etc have been playing a waiting game and are now just following suit. Dominoes springs to mind. They've all become too matey matey.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Fighting Talk gone

Reactions: A1X

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here