Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He’s tried to equate govt policy with Hitler’s Germany . It’s so ridiculous, it just highlights his ignorance and lack of education.
If people actually read his original tweet, the text of which is:

“There is no huge influx. We take far fewer refugees than other major European countries. This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s, and I’m out of order?”

he was actually VERY specifically talking about the language being not dissimilar to that in Germany in the 1930s. Mrs DiS - a former teacher who taught amongst other things 20th Century European History at ALevel has been saying the same thing for the last 5 years, maybe longer.
Gary Lineker is far from ignorant and is probably fairly well informed. I suggest you apologise to him!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Would you be comfortable with Albion players expressing their political views via Twitter?
What ever it was, if they have a view, and they are prepared to express it and stand by it, they would have my respect

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
No, he's consistent. In both cases he has not let his personal opinions conflict with his professional duty
He’s consistent alright. He’s consistently a ****

ROBS BROTHER

Jan 27, 2022
the answers to these questions are out there. This is why I suggested you do some research. You may also find that it is perfectly legal to arrive in a place and ask for Asylum. You may also stumble upon the reasons why the notion of claiming asylum in a first or previous country is a bad and unworkable idea - to be fair you probably don't have to research this just have a think about the issue.

If you don't mind me saying this is a weird assumption to make. there are many different levels of immigration and more specifically asylum seeker policy (important to distinguish between the two as this is what we are talking about) between 'don't let anyone in' and 'let everyone in'. What is concerning about the current debate is that the extreme polar ends of this discussion should be equally difficult to sell as policy, with the answer surely being somewhere in the middle. However the UK seems to be accepting the narrative close to 'don't let anyone in' as acceptable. It has served the tories and their press well over the last 13 years but now they really have no-where to go. Leaving the country with a policy that no one likes.

Yeah, I do broadly agree with Lineker, although not about crisps. I would also add that my real concern about this is around free speech and the state broadcaster censoring people's opinions.

Again the distinction between refugees/asylum seekers and immigrants is important here and I would urge you look up the stats for how many the UK take in comparison to other countries https://swvg-refugees.org.uk/about-asylum/asylum-facts/uk-compare-countries/

I apologies for my 'my friend' turn of phrase, my intention was to take away a little intensity from my reply. You are quite right though, I don't know if we have met.
A very reasoned response for which I thank you together with your apology.
Of course I know why the asylum seekers, economic migrants ,call them what you will ,want to come here rather than the other EU countries. In all probability they have some knowledge of our language and will have heard on the grapevine that they will receive a lot better treatment here than in some continental countries.
The nub of this problem is how do we maintain a fair and equitable response to this very understandable desire. We both agree that unfettered immigration is unacceptable but how is it to be controlled ? I wish I knew the answer or had heard some alternatives put forward by the opposition parties. The one thing I am sure of is that idiot Lineker is not contributing to the solution. On the contrary he is making things worse

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What about the paid up Tory party member who started this thread?
I didn’t even notice who started it but my comment was more to do with calling out posters, can you leave that to the NSC proletariate please :lolol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Good plan, I'm off ...a journey up to Leeds beckons.
Ah yes, Leeds..... the only club where I once saw National Front supporters selling their magazine openly in the Elland Road car park on a match day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here