Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We went to Jewish museums, also a Communist museum, in Prague last week. More people should immerse themselves in these things from time to time. Lessons never to be forgotten on unimaginable cruelty, loss of liberties, also giving a sense of perceptive and where we’re so lucky just now.
You say “we” are so lucky now, but let’s not forget that yet again in Europe people are being oppressed and attacked by a totalitarian regime, just like the Nazis.

I am firmly free speech even if I don’t agree with it, which in this case, I’m not offended but can see both points of view.
Lineaker is using his popularity for good not evil, and well done Ian Wright & Alan Shearer, for standing up for what they believe.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

No presenters or pundits will feature on Saturday's MOTD - BBC

No presenters or pundits will feature on Saturday's Match of the Day programme, a BBC spokesperson says.
Saturday's Match of the Day programme will "focus on match action without studio presentation or punditry", they say.

Presumably they can't find anyone to take over? I wonder why?
Apparently the final section tomorrow will be a “biggest own goal” montage featuring Suella Braverman, the BBC senior management and @Is it PotG?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
These (version of the) Tories are so SHIT at politics that they deserve to be utterly wiped out at the next election. Abhorrent ideology and very f***ing useless at reading any ‘normal’ room

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you don't like the MOTD format there are already numerous other ways to see highlights on a Saturday these days, inc official goal clips on YouTube, and numerous Sky highlights shows running all evening/night.

Reality is, millions tune in to watch MOTD for an overview of the day's play, and to find how their team is represented (or misrepresented ) to millions of other fans.

Love it or hate it, it's pretty compelling.

Shame the Tory BBC have killed it this week. Hope it's back soon.
Selfish I know but I don‘t care why others tune in. I can record it and watch at leisure without having to search out highlights. I think no Lineker and no analysis of where things have gone right or wrong may well be ideal for me :shrug:

There will 100% be more football and less waffle though

We’ll see how it pans out

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you don't like the MOTD format there are already numerous other ways to see highlights on a Saturday these days, inc official goal clips on YouTube, and numerous Sky highlights shows running all evening/night.

Reality is, millions tune in to watch MOTD for an overview of the day's play, and to find how their team is represented (or misrepresented ) to millions of other fans.

Love it or hate it, it's pretty compelling.

Shame the Tory BBC have killed it this week. Hope it's back soon.
Spot on

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He wrote a Tweet.

The BBC chose to make it lead story on the BBC1 evening news, Radio 4 etc.
Would you be comfortable with Albion players expressing their political views via Twitter?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It suggests more than just one policy …. but a multitude …going back to the repeal of the Town and Country Act of 1947..and the effect of that and another one passed in 1961 (the name of which escapes me)….concentration of house building in the hands of a powerful few (Tory donors)…sitting on land banks (to increase profit), rather than building houses and make a profit just that way … with many small house builders going bust in 2008…..etc etc ..a lot of angles discussed but i am only 50% of the way through.
I'm not surprised Halligan says that, he likes to be contrarian. The data on housebuilding in 20C is widely known and key info widely available. See, for instance:

Also see this, which is interesting. Key chart is on p31 to indicate ownership models. One policy is key:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
<removed>

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here